LAX immigration

Old Jul 13th 2002, 5:20 pm
jrusch

Default LAX immigration

My wife will be flying from Manila to possibly LAX sometime in late August into
September. Depends on when she gets her k3 visa. My question is I have heard that
immgration in LAX is tough. Does anyone have any info on it OR have any experience
with it? I have a travel agent who recommended me to go through Detroit but my wife
wants Philippine airlines because of personal reasons with the family.

Any comments are welcome John

Old Jul 13th 2002, 6:20 pm
Steve

Default Re: LAX immigration

If she has the proper papers, why would it be tough? The lines might be a little
longer there, but if everything is in order then she will be fine. I remember passing
Immigration at LAX in 1999-- there was a long line, but the people working there we
helpful and even friendly! Good luck! <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > My wife will be flying from Manila to possibly LAX sometime in late August into
    > September. Depends on when she gets her k3 visa. My question is I have heard that
    > immgration in LAX is tough. Does anyone have any info on it OR have any experience
    > with it? I have a travel agent who recommended me to go through Detroit but my wife
    > wants Philippine airlines because of personal reasons with the family.
    >
    > Any comments are welcome John

Old Jul 13th 2002, 11:20 pm
jrusch

When it comes to the Govt I dont take anything easy. I always expect red tape
somewhere.

How long did it take for you to go through immigration? I ask so I know what flight
to get because when my wife comes we have to take another flight to Tampa. Usually
Philippine airlines lands before 8pm and the delta flight I used left at 9:45 which
is cutting it close

John

Old Jul 14th 2002, 6:20 am
Maarten W.G. An

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > My wife will be flying from Manila to possibly LAX sometime in late August into
    > September. Depends on when she gets her k3 visa. My question is I have heard that
    > immgration in LAX is tough. Does anyone have any info on it OR have any experience
    > with it? I have a travel agent who recommended me to go through Detroit but my wife
    > wants Philippine airlines because of personal reasons with the family.

I have hands-on experience. I landed in Terminal 5 with American Airlines. I walked
up to the "legal US resident" line because no-one was there They took my paperwork
and directed me to a bench nearby. A large boeing from China Airlines had just
arrived, and they needed every desk to process them as well as the flight I was on.
After about 45 minutes, everyone was processed, and I was called over.

I did the fingerprinting, signature and got the stamp within about 5 minutes..... and
I was on my way with a I-551 stamp. I got my SSN two days later, and my driver
license a week later. My Green Card arrived in the mail about 4 weeks later, and my
driver license arrived about 3 months later (had a temp permit).

In Terminal 5, everyone was very friendly and there were no problems at all....
however, I do not know where you will land as there are 9 terminals (8 numbered one,
and the Bradley International Terminal).

The only thing they are really strict on is bagage checks..... They got dogs and
armed guards just about everywhere, especially after the shooting accident. (I was
just there 2 days after to pick someone up).

Don't expect any immigration problems... if your paperwork is on order, there is not
much they can do.

Maarten

Old Jul 14th 2002, 3:20 pm
jrusch

Maarten Very good, It looks like it could take up to maybe an hour depending upon how
many people are arriving while the process itself is quick. Where my wife will come
it is the closest terminal to the domestic. I can only say that because the last 2
times I landed there on my way to domestic I came out on the closest one to the
domestic. Still had to walk a distance to get to Delta though.

My next decision will be the flight after her flight comes because time wise it is
usually 2 hours later. hmm

thank you for the post! John