Which last name to use on forms

Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

american dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really nice
Default Re: Which last name to use on forms

Thank you...

I don't have a middle name.

So did you just write it on the immigration papers?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:25 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Me? I changed my name well before applying for my DH's US visa, since I was moving to the UK at the time. I applied for my UK spousal visa in my maiden name because that was the name in my passport. I finished changing it after we'd arrived in the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by american dream
Thank you...

I don't have a middle name.

So did you just write it on the immigration papers?
In my opinion, at this time, only change your last name. You might want to keep some kind of consistency in your immigration paperwork, and you might not even be able to "change" your middle name at this time. I don't think marriage gives you the opportunity to change your middle name, only your last name. Of course you can unofficially use a middle name if you want to, but I wouldn't do your immigration documents that way.

Here's what I would do. For now, change your last name only. Then whenever you go for US citizenship, you will have the opportunity to change your entire name any way you want to (first, middle, last). You can easily do the official change at that time, with no hassle.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

american dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really nice

Thank you you guys!

Ok I think I will just change the last name at this time then.
Thanks for all the advice...
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ad,

That's what my wife does - she uses her maiden name as her middle name. She also did not have a middle name prior to our marriage.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by american dream
That said I am thinking of making my maiden name a middle name... I don't want to double barrel it. From what i'm understanding can I just put my maiden name as my middle name on the immigration forms and the marriage certificate will explain the name change?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks you guys! I don't know how i'd be able to get through this process without all of you...

I think i'm going to follow Rene's advice... I was doing some research and while some people get through putting the maiden name as middle name without a problem... Others get told at interview that they have to change the middle name through the court or worse still get RFEs for it... Guess it depends on the IO. Def not something i need and its mainly something my family want me to do. I'll change it when i apply for citizenship...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

Hi guys, I was searching up on this as I wanted to ask the same question.

I am changing my name to my married name and wasn't sure if I should use this on all the AOS forms or not. But I will since it seems to not be an issue.

The other question I have, that I don't think has been covered here, is....will it cause any issue if my AOS/green card stuff is all in my married name but my UK passport is still in my maiden name? I wasn't planning on changing my passport quite yet as it's just another hassle, but will it be ok that they are different as long as I have the marriage certificate?

So far I have only changed name with my bank, still to tackle Social Security.

Thanks
J
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetbedlam
The other question I have, that I don't think has been covered here, is....will it cause any issue if my AOS/green card stuff is all in my married name but my UK passport is still in my maiden name? I wasn't planning on changing my passport quite yet as it's just another hassle, but will it be ok that they are different as long as I have the marriage certificate?
To my knowledge, that should be fine. Just make sure if you ever have to fly internationally, that your tickets match your passport name, not your green card name.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

J,

Wasn't a problem for my wife, except she registered for frequent flyer miles using her married name. So after each annual visit to her native country we had to call the airline service center to point out that the trip she'd taken using her maiden name, because of her passport, needed to be credited to her frequent flyer account.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jetbedlam
....will it cause any issue if my AOS/green card stuff is all in my married name but my UK passport is still in my maiden name?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

Thanks That's a comfort.

I do plan on doing the passport thing at some time, but it just seems like a big pain that I don't need right now!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:55 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm amazed that any woman would willingly give up her own identity for the sake of her husband - and let's not kid ourselves that that isn't exactly what's happening. What could possibly be more personal and yours alone, than your own name?

Ian
Ian? Decaf honey.

~SecretGarden
(who gladly took husband's last name, sorry Ian!)
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

I think it depends on the name you have....I have traded the dullest of the dull for a really cool unusual name (which causes it's own problems with spelling an dpronunciation, but I'm already used to that with my first name so what the hell!) If I had a cool name of my own I probably wouldn't want to give it up, but in the circumstances I'm quite happy to do it, my husband never asked me to and wouldn't care either way.

I've actually seen it plenty of times the other way round where the man takes the woman's name (probably often for the reasons stated above)!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Well, I hinted that it wouldn't be a popular sentiment!

Ian
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:02 am

SG,

Stepford wife?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
~SecretGarden
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:59 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
SG,

Stepford wife?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Regards, JEff
You couldn't be further from the mark on that one, JEff!
~SG