Which last name to use on forms

Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

american dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really nice
Default Which last name to use on forms

This is probably a really dumb question, but am I able to use my married last name on the AOS papers? All i'll have with the new name will be the marriage certificate I won't have had chance to change my name with soc. sec.

We're going to have 2 weddings, a teeny elopement in a couple of weeks and then a big one a year or two from now. If I were to wait to change my name till after the main wedding - is it easy to change my name on the greencard. Or is it easier to just take my husband's name from the getgo?

Thanks!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which last name to use on forms

ad,

Yes. Some entity has to be the first to be informed of your new name.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by american dream
This is probably a really dumb question, but am I able to use my married last name on the AOS papers? All i'll have with the new name will be the marriage certificate I won't have had chance to change my name with soc. sec.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going to have 2 weddings, a teeny elopement in a couple of weeks and then a big one a year or two from now. If I were to wait to change my name till after the main wedding - is it easy to change my name on the greencard. Or is it easier to just take my husband's name from the getgo?

Thanks!
Hi:

Use the name you will be using.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

american dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really niceamerican dream is just really nice

So the marriage certificate wouldn't be enough to use the new name?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

???????

Of course it's enough. What else are you thinking might be necessary?

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage certificate is largely irrelevant. In the US you can call yourself whatever you want as long as your intent is not to commit fraud. Use whichever name you want when filling out the forms.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
You can fill out the AOS forms using your new married name, if you want to. Having the marriage certificate shows how your name change came about.

Or, if you end up getting your green card in your maiden name, you can wait until you file for removal of conditions (assuming you'll first get a conditional green card), and then use your married name.

It's possible to change your name on your green card later, but I don't think it's worth the cost or the wait...just either use your married name now, or wait until you remove conditions.

Rene
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

perfect - thanks! So now I know

Sorry for the dumb questions you guys - just anxious not to screw up!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

choctawredindian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
???????

Of course it's enough. What else are you thinking might be necessary?

Regards, JEff
She's thinking drivers' license, social security card, changing the name on her own passport, etc. The 50,000 other things you would have to have in your married name to get to use it in QUEBEC whose laws say that a woman is never allowed "her husband's name" and you would have to have every other Canadian government document in your proper married name first in order to force the issue on the government of Quebec documents, that is.

As long as you're not in Quebec, your married name is yours to use with just the marriage certificate.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

choctawredindian,

Yep that was exactly what I was concerned about. Thank goodness i'm not in Quebec and the marriage cert is enough. Lol! Interesting to know about Quebec - wow!

Thanks you guys
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choctawredindian
As long as you're not in Quebec, your married name is yours to use with just the marriage certificate.
You mean, as long as you're not living in Quebec. It certainly doesn't apply if someone is visiting or travelling through the Province.

Now, that said, a woman living in Quebec can use her husband's name (as long as she's not dealing with the Provincial government) and, after a time, she can apply to make it permanent under the terms of the Quebec Charter of Rights. So... eventually, a marriage certificate really is all she needs, but getting to that point... what a waste of time and energy!

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You mean, as long as you're not living in Quebec. It certainly doesn't apply if someone is visiting or travelling through the Province.

Now, that said, a woman living in Quebec can use her husband's name (as long as she's not dealing with the Provincial government) and, after a time, she can apply to make it permanent under the terms of the Quebec Charter of Rights. So... eventually, a marriage certificate really is all she needs, but getting to that point... what a waste of time and energy!

Ian
Agree! Why change your name at all?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Agree! Why change your name at all?
I agree! Sheila didn't change her name when we got married. Indeed, in the 21st Century, I'm amazed that any woman would willingly give up her own identity for the sake of her husband - and let's not kid ourselves that that isn't exactly what's happening. What could possibly be more personal and yours alone, than your own name?

Hmm... I agree that may not be a popular sentiment. Oh well...

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks you guys for all your help and advice...

Yeah i think i'm kindof traditional wanting to take my husbands name in this day and age!

That said I am thinking of making my maiden name a middle name... I don't want to double barrel it. From what i'm understanding can I just put my maiden name as my middle name on the immigration forms and the marriage certificate will explain the name change?

Thanks
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:11 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

That said I am thinking of making my maiden name a middle name... I don't want to double barrel it. From what i'm understanding can I just put my maiden name as my middle name on the immigration forms and the marriage certificate will explain the name change?

Thanks
I did this, and it was mildly difficult but not impossible. Actually I made my maiden name into a second middle name - my DH and his family all have two middle names and it seemed the perfect solution to wanting to keep my name and also use his.

I was told at the Social Security office after our wedding (in the states) that the marriage cert wasn't sufficient to change the MIDDLE name, just the last name. So when I was back in the UK I got a document called a Statutory Declaration signed by a local solicitor for a £5 charge. I provided the Stat Dec, which was written by a fellow expat with legal experience.

Once that was signed I took it and everything else (SS Card, Marriage cert, etc) to the US Citizen Services section of the London Embassy and requested a new card issued with my new name. From there it was easy to get a new passport etc.

If you decide to go for two middle names be warned that most US systems such as banks etc are not set up to deal with two middle names, so you'll often end up with either one initial or a two-letter middle name on file.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.