L1B to L1A

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default L1B to L1A

Hi All

Well still loving it 3 weeks in working hard trying to get settled

I found out at work i am actualy managing a small team of 3, they report directly to me, is this good grounds to swap from L1B to L1A?

If so is it worth doing?

Thanks
Steve
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: L1B to L1A

I went through the L1A route (twice - long story), which was relatively fast and straight forward process. With the current economic climate all applications are being looked at very closely.

It's certainly worth doing, since in many cases going from L1A to GC is easier and often alot faster to get to the final GC. With L1B to GC you will likely need to go though labor certs which is very painful and slow.

Talk to your legal folks and see if you qualify

And remember you might qualify for L1A as a functional manager (if you actually manage a function(s) and don't manage people)

Do a search on here for functional managers, quite a few have successfully switched from an L1B to an L1A

Last edited by peteandvanessa; Apr 27th 2009 at 9:25 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun

I found out at work i am actualy managing a small team of 3, they report directly to me, is this good grounds to swap from L1B to L1A?
Hi:

Please don't make people here look up your history. It might be helpful is you provided facts sufficient to form an opinion.

As phrased, I have no idea.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to be on an L1-A visa for the employer to submit a green card via the EB1C (multinational manager) category - I was still on an L1-B when my I-140 was submitted and only switched to L1-A when my visa was due for renewal anyway.

Is your employer going to sponsor a green card for you? If so, you need to find out if the attorney thinks you could go for the EB1C green card.

If you are not being sponsored for a green card, the main advantage of a L1-A over an L1-B is the fact that it allows for a total of 7 years in the US compared to 5 on the L1-B.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Socal Local
You don't have to be on an L1-A visa for the employer to submit a green card via the EB1C (multinational manager) category - I was still on an L1-B when my I-140 was submitted and only switched to L1-A when my visa was due for renewal anyway.

Is your employer going to sponsor a green card for you? If so, you need to find out if the attorney thinks you could go for the EB1C green card.

If you are not being sponsored for a green card, the main advantage of a L1-A over an L1-B is the fact that it allows for a total of 7 years in the US compared to 5 on the L1-B.
Hi:

It should be noted that none of the answers here address OP's question of whether or not it can be done or even attempted. OP doesn't give us any facts here.

And even "managing" three people might not bring him within the DHS rubric of management or executive. And his current duties are only one part of the whole equation.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It should be noted that none of the answers here address OP's question of whether or not it can be done or even attempted. OP doesn't give us any facts here.

And even "managing" three people might not bring him within the DHS rubric of management or executive. And his current duties are only one part of the whole equation.
I agree that the OP does not give enough information about his personal situation to determine whether or not he could do this. I was attempting to provide some general information in response to the 'Is it worth doing?' question in his final sentence.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:50 am
Account Closed

I agree that the OP does not give enough information about his personal situation to determine whether or not he could do this. I was attempting to provide some general information in response to the 'Is it worth doing?' question in his final sentence.
Hi:

I wasn't sure as to attach my post to the original post or at the end of the thread. I agree it is worth looking into. However, none of us has said whether he would qualify or not.

The fact he is in an "L" status says a lot. However, I don't have a clue as to whether or not he was and is an executive or manager.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that, it actuly states in my contract that they will sponsor me for the green card
Steve
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I wasn't sure as to attach my post to the original post or at the end of the thread. I agree it is worth looking into. However, none of us has said whether he would qualify or not.

The fact he is in an "L" status says a lot. However, I don't have a clue as to whether or not he was and is an executive or manager.
Hi

No i am not an executive by any means, my job title is Senior Systems Anylist however when i got over here i found out i was managing a small team hence the question

Thanks
Steve