Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A Visa Extension - 5 years in passport?

L1A Visa Extension - 5 years in passport?

Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:11 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1A Visa Extension - 5 years in passport?

So we've just renewed our L1(A) intracompany transfers, which were initially issued for 3 years. The new visa in the passports is valid for 5 years - I was expecting 2 years, and this is also what the USCIS website states.

I'm a bit confused now. I know it will ultimately be valid for as long as the date stamped at the POE, but I'm really hoping I don't get additional hassle for this.

Has anyone experienced this?

Ta muchly,

Mr Weeze
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all
Default Re: L1A Visa Extension - 5 years in passport?

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
So we've just renewed our L1(A) intracompany transfers, which were initially issued for 3 years. The new visa in the passports is valid for 5 years - I was expecting 2 years, and this is also what the USCIS website states.

I'm a bit confused now. I know it will ultimately be valid for as long as the date stamped at the POE, but I'm really hoping I don't get additional hassle for this.

Has anyone experienced this?

Ta muchly,

Mr Weeze
We have 7yrs L1, we were surprised also
Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in June of this year on L1/L2 and were given 5 year visas. I think that this is the norm now as they no longer match the I94 expiration date to the visa. It means that if we decide to extend our stay (we are here for 2 years), we will just have to file the relevant extension form and not have to worry about getting a new visa.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked out our visas as this applies to us, we arrived OCT 2012 on L1/L2. We are here under the impression maximum stay is 3 yrs then 2 plus 2 for a maximum of 7. After that it's green card or back to UK.

Says on Visas that Expiration Date is 21AUG2017 but PED (Petition Expiration Date) is 30SEP2015.

What's the difference? We can't find anything to suggest L1 visas are now being issued for 5 years?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CA-NY
I just checked out our visas as this applies to us, we arrived OCT 2012 on L1/L2. We are here under the impression maximum stay is 3 yrs then 2 plus 2 for a maximum of 7. After that it's green card or back to UK.

Says on Visas that Expiration Date is 21AUG2017 but PED (Petition Expiration Date) is 30SEP2015.

What's the difference? We can't find anything to suggest L1 visas are now being issued for 5 years?
From what I understand, in the past the visa/PED/I94 expiry dates were the same. This meant that if your I94 and visa expired in November 2013, you would have to file for an extention to remain in the US on the L1/L2. As long as you had a new extention date, it would not matter if the visa expired as long as you remained in the US. If you needed to leave the US you would need to obtain a new visa to get back in. In order to cut down the workload at the US consulates, the visas are now issued for 5 years, so that if you need an extention your visa will not require renewing imminently

The important date to note is your I94 date. This is the date that you need to leave the US by (assuming you have not filed for an extention or have a green card in the process). In our case, our PED and I94 date are the same - May 2015. If we have the opportunity to remain longer, the company will need to file an extention to stay (new I94 date). If we get the extention, we will not need to worry about needing a new visa too, especially is my OH travels abroad a bit.

BTW - we ended up in Ridgewood after all!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

CA-NY - Here is a thread from a little while ago where this issue was discussed. Post# 40 has the link to the new visa expiry dates, but you may find the whole thread of interest to you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=801023&page=3

Last edited by HartleyHare; Aug 17th 2013 at 4:53 am. Reason: Did not include link.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will read through that. How you liking Ridgewood?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA-NY
Thanks, will read through that. How you liking Ridgewood?
It's great. Trying not to run up a huge bill in Wholefoods though - too many yummy things in there, especially the cookies.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, the novelty has kind of worn off for us now it's kind of $$$!

Feel free to PM me if you need any other recommendations, that's 10 months we've been here now and all set up with doctors, dentists etc. Just this week got an accountant who is helping us with our tax stuff. And I think I've been to most supermarkets within a 10 mile radius so we kind of know our way around the area.

Sorry to hijack thread.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

bumping this as I am a bit confused and know someone in a similar situation.
Visa expires late 2017 but PED and I94 expire October this year

so do they just need to file an I539 extension form rather than a complete visa renewal ??(I129)as surely the visa is 'current' until 2017

I think they are being given duff info but on this situation I have no past experience
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

My understanding is that if we want to extend our stay L1A visa, we would need to file:

I-129 - Filed by my OH company. OH is the L1A holder.
I-539 - Filed by my OH company. Me & daughter are L2's.

On the I-129 there are options to chose, e.g, new petition, extending stay etc.

BTW - we are on an intra-company transfer, not setting up and office here. The link below has some information.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

thanks HH, I think that's what I had got too...the question really is...do they 'just' fill out the form OR provide a pack of information a la a complete visa renewal
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
thanks HH, I think that's what I had got too...the question really is...do they 'just' fill out the form OR provide a pack of information a la a complete visa renewal
You're right, having read through the instructions for the I-129 it's not clear what supporting documentation needs to be included. There is a section on extending your stay which does state what to include, but it doesn't state whether all of the initial visa application documentation needs to go too. I think that what is also confusing is that the same form is utilised for the initial application and to extend your stay (along with some other categories too!).
Hopefully somebody who has been in the same situation will come along soon.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

just to confuse issues (like it needed that !!) another section on the USCIS site says ------------

Extend Your Stay

If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. Check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to determine the date your authorized stay expires. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.

You may apply to extend your stay if:

You were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa
You have not violated the conditions of your admission
Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, it's only when you read the instructions for the I-539 that it actually states which categories can use it, but initially the impression is given that this form is for use by all who want to extend their stay.

Anyway, I assume that your friend's immigration lawyer would know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.