L1A/L2 to Green Card questions

Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A/L2 to Green Card questions

Adjustment applicants present in the US on "L" non-immigrant visas can travel and return on the visa to return to work for the petitioning employer. No need for advance parole.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Adjustment applicants present in the US on "L" non-immigrant visas can travel and return on the visa to return to work for the petitioning employer. No need for advance parole.
That's what I thought. Only needed the AP if one was using the EAD, which is something never made sense because who would use the EAD to work for the same employer and to use the EAD for a new employer would be terribly ballsy
Old May 1st 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what I thought. Only needed the AP if one was using the EAD, which is something never made sense because who would use the EAD to work for the same employer and to use the EAD for a new employer would be terribly ballsy
When I was in practice, it was not uncommon to advise against "moonlighting" by L-1/H-1 non-immigrants. Once they had the EAD in hand, they could then moonlight.
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Duke Leto is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but has anyone tired to make the filings from L1A to GC (my understanding is that it is the I-140 and the I-485 that needs to be filed?) without using a lawyer? My company does not want to sponsor me for the cost of upgrading me to a GC, and the lawyer we used for my L1A application quoted me $10,000 which I thought sounded outrageous to file two pieces of paper (I know the application fee is around $1500).

Failing that, has anyone got a reasonably priced immigration lawyer to recommend?

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duke Leto
My company does not want to sponsor me for the cost of upgrading me to a GC...
Can you please clarify... do they not want to sponsor you, or do they not want to pay the lawyer's fees?

... the lawyer we used for my L1A application quoted me $10,000 which I thought sounded outrageous to file two pieces of paper (I know the application fee is around $1500).
I suggest the lawyer is charging for his knowledge and experience rather than for the filing of "two pieces of paper". It's an entire package of "stuff".

Ian
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Duke Leto is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, the latter, they do not want to pay the fees, but are happy to sponsor my application.

Granted I expect to pay something for the Lawyers experience, but it seems an awful lot for doing what appears to be little more than submitting the application (from reading the posts it appears that going from an L1A to GC should be a relatively straightforward affaire). Alternatively, I am mistaken and $10,000 is what I should expect to pay?
Old May 4th 2012, 4:37 am
Banned

investmentdeal is an unknown quantity at this point

If properly prepared, I have heard of around 6 months. Good luck
Old May 4th 2012, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duke Leto
Granted I expect to pay something for the Lawyers experience, but it seems an awful lot for doing what appears to be little more than submitting the application (from reading the posts it appears that going from an L1A to GC should be a relatively straightforward affaire). Alternatively, I am mistaken and $10,000 is what I should expect to pay?
I know next to nothing about these types of things, but just from reading the forums I'd assume that the vital bit that a lawyer will be able to help you with will be proving your visa category i.e. EB1. If you do it yourself and get stuck in EB3 then maybe a lawyer would have been a good idea after all?

As I said though, that's only from very scant knowledge and reading others threads, but it's one thing that struck me as a possible area where a lawyer would be invaluable.

Good luck.