British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   L1A/L2 to Green Card questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/l1a-l2-green-card-questions-754350/)

Kats. Apr 9th 2012 9:05 pm

L1A/L2 to Green Card questions

Hi,

My husband and I moved to California in June last year with his company sponsoring us - he has the L1A visa and I have L2. The company is now also sponsoring us for green cards and is getting the paperwork together to submit the applications.

I've got a few questions: does anyone have any recent experience of how long the applications take (with immigration I mean, after the company has submitted the paperwork)? Also, do you have to have a medical examination for these applications (and if so, what do they involve?)? Thanks!

Noorah101 Apr 9th 2012 9:13 pm

Re: L1A/L2 to Green Card questions

Originally Posted by Kats. (Post 9996906)
I've got a few questions: does anyone have any recent experience of how long the applications take (with immigration I mean, after the company has submitted the paperwork)?

Your real question is: how long will it take from submitting the AOS application, to getting green card in hand? The answer is, it depends on what category you are falling under, and how long the backlog is in that category.

Also, do you have to have a medical examination for these applications (and if so, what do they involve?)?
Yes, each person who is applying for a green card needs to have a medical exam by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. It involves testing for communicable diseases, general health, and that you are up to date on all your vaccinations.

Rene

SanDiegogirl Apr 9th 2012 9:33 pm

Came over on an L1-A in 2000 and it took 12 months from putting in the paperwork to getting the Green card in hand.

I think some people have gone through the process in about 7 to 8 months these days - but, as said, it depends on your category.

Bob Apr 9th 2012 10:27 pm

Piece of string question...but anything from 6 months to a few years, but probably more towards the quicker end for a L1A, depending on what category you are in.

Your immigration lawyer should be able to give you a rough estimate of how long it might take people in your situation based on their experiences of other cases they have worked on in the area.

Kats. Apr 9th 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks for your replies!

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9996916)

Yes, each person who is applying for a green card needs to have a medical exam by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. It involves testing for communicable diseases, general health, and that you are up to date on all your vaccinations.

Rene

I was hoping this wasn't the case - ugh, vaccinations.

Bob Apr 10th 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Kats. (Post 9997131)

I was hoping this wasn't the case - ugh, vaccinations.

Well presumably you've already had them, so it won't be a problem and if you don't have your vaccination history you can get a titre test to show what you are covered for.

studentgwant Apr 10th 2012 3:56 pm

If it helps my L1A -> GC was 4 months. Submitted Dec 28th 2011, received April 2012. Medicals and vaccinations were required, it was easiest to just get all the shots that the Civil Dr said we needed than to try and prove we had already had alot of them as children. We applied for ours during flu season as well, so had to get a shot for that, which seemed odd.
The actual exam cost about $500 each. But your local Dr can usually do the shots as part of your normal medical insurance. The company lawyers had us do the medical before submitting any paperwork, so everything was submitted together, I dont know if thats the normal way of doing it or not.

Noorah101 Apr 10th 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by studentgwant (Post 9998495)
The company lawyers had us do the medical before submitting any paperwork, so everything was submitted together, I dont know if thats the normal way of doing it or not.

Yes, it is normal procedure. The medical results need to be submitted along with everything else in the AOS package.

Rene

Kats. Apr 10th 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by studentgwant (Post 9998495)
If it helps my L1A -> GC was 4 months. Submitted Dec 28th 2011, received April 2012. Medicals and vaccinations were required, it was easiest to just get all the shots that the Civil Dr said we needed than to try and prove we had already had alot of them as children. We applied for ours during flu season as well, so had to get a shot for that, which seemed odd.
The actual exam cost about $500 each. But your local Dr can usually do the shots as part of your normal medical insurance. The company lawyers had us do the medical before submitting any paperwork, so everything was submitted together, I dont know if thats the normal way of doing it or not.

Thanks for your reply, it helps a lot! 4 months is great, really fast. Yeah, my vaccination records from when I was a kid are long gone so I foresee a lot of shots. The company lawyers haven't said anything about doing the medical before submitting the paperwork, I'll get my husband to ask them about it.

Bob Apr 10th 2012 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kats. (Post 9998715)
Thanks for your reply, it helps a lot! 4 months is great, really fast. Yeah, my vaccination records from when I was a kid are long gone so I foresee a lot of shots. The company lawyers haven't said anything about doing the medical before submitting the paperwork, I'll get my husband to ask them about it.

Get a titre test then, it's one small blood test. It'll be cheaper than getting a set of vaccinations and something probably included in a regular annual medical.

christmasoompa Apr 10th 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kats. (Post 9998715)
4 months is great, really fast.

As has been mentioned above, it will depend on your category though - it could be that quick, or it could take several years.

Good luck with it.

:)

Kats. Apr 10th 2012 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9998756)
Get a titre test then, it's one small blood test. It'll be cheaper than getting a set of vaccinations and something probably included in a regular annual medical.

That would certainly be better than getting a bunch of shots, hopefully we can do this.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9998759)
As has been mentioned above, it will depend on your category though - it could be that quick, or it could take several years.

Good luck with it.

:)

Yep, from what I understand it should be EB1 or EB2 (but don't know for sure yet) which seems to be up to date and processing in around 6 months. I know you can't go by what has happened with other people but it's great to hear actual experiences rather than just general timeliness standards.

Bob Apr 10th 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kats. (Post 9998777)
That would certainly be better than getting a bunch of shots, hopefully we can do this.

You go to your doctor, you ask for a annual physical and you ask if they have your vaccination record, they say no and you ask for a titre test so that they have it for their records.

Job done, take a copy of the results with you to your medical.

TheCynick Apr 12th 2012 8:49 pm

My I-140 was approved in 88 days (EB-1(c) category) and I-485 in 154 days. If you file concurrently then you can probably expect it to take around the same amount of time as an I-485 filed separately.

Kats. Apr 12th 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by TheCynick (Post 10002858)
My I-140 was approved in 88 days (EB-1(c) category) and I-485 in 154 days. If you file concurrently then you can probably expect it to take around the same amount of time as an I-485 filed separately.

Thanks, that's great!

My husband finally got some info - the lawyers were going to put it through as EB3 (there was some confusion as the company changed lawyers recently and it seems they didn't look at his documents properly) but after he questioned this, they have asked for some more information from him for EB1. Pretty big processing time difference between EB1 and EB3 so hopefully once they've got more documentation, they will be able to do it as EB1.