Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A-GC Interview cancelled day before

L1A-GC Interview cancelled day before

Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Anenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1A-GC Interview cancelled day before

Hello,

Hoping someone might be able to advise me as I have not heard a peep from my lawyer. My GC interview was canceled the day before it was due to take place back in March. Could anyone please advise me if I am now effected by Trumps current hold? I am reading conflicting things on the internet and would just like to see what people think on this forum. I am here on an L1A visa. My lawyer has gone mute so any opinions I would be extremely grateful for. Thank you
Old Jun 25th 2020, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A-GC Interview cancelled day before

Originally Posted by Anenglishrose
Hello,

Hoping someone might be able to advise me as I have not heard a peep from my lawyer. My GC interview was canceled the day before it was due to take place back in March. Could anyone please advise me if I am now effected by Trumps current hold? I am reading conflicting things on the internet and would just like to see what people think on this forum. I am here on an L1A visa. My lawyer has gone mute so any opinions I would be extremely grateful for. Thank you
You can see the full details of it here - https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...irus-outbreak/

From my reading of it, yes unfortunately the ban on employment based IV processing has now been extended until the end of the year. All you can do it keep an eye on things and hope that it's lifted sooner, either by Trump or his potential replacement.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 25th 2020 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 1:53 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Your one step ahead of the game having your own lawyer. Most visa [applicants] / holders are represented by their [prospective] employers lawyer not their own. It’s a subtle difference, but important. This is an interesting read on why

Last edited by tht; Jun 25th 2020 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I'm in a similar boat, I've been on L1B for almost 5 years and am now AOS. My biometrics interview was cancelled.

My understanding is that if you are in the USA that your GC processing should proceed. Did you get an RFE for an I693?

Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

First, we are in interesting times. The latest proclamation is but three days old and from what I can see, most immigration lawyers have yet to figure it out much less the actual affects.

Second, it expressly does not apply to applications within the United States.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hearing through the company lawyers that the tech industry has filed a lawsuit.
The argument is that the people that are coming to the US on these type of visas will not affect the current unemployment status in the US. The Federal Courts could issue an injunction banning the executive order temporarily while the suit makes it through the courts.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the hold only affects people applying from outside USA
Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
I believe the hold only affects people applying from outside USA
no, the issue with AOS from LI to GC is that the PERM process is due to be tightened up. From what I'm hearing/reading if you're through the PERM then you're probably ok.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
no, the issue with AOS from LI to GC is that the PERM process is due to be tightened up. From what I'm hearing/reading if you're through the PERM then you're probably ok.
My understanding is that there are no green cards to be issued to people outside the USA for the rest of the year with some exception categories.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:09 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by capin
My understanding is that there are no green cards to be issued to people outside the USA for the rest of the year with some exception categories.
The OP is in the USA doing AOS.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Green card are not issued outside the USA anyway.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The OP is in the USA doing AOS.
yep, same as me.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Green card are not issued outside the USA anyway.

Rene
OK, maybe is should have said, “Green cards applied for from outside the USA”.

The broad brush is that for now, if you are in the USA, your GC application should proceed but I am also a bit concerned as to what is happening at USCIS with furlough, looking for bailouts etc
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:22 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe is should have said, “Green cards applied for from outside the USA”.

The broad brush is that for now, if you are in the USA, your GC application should proceed but I am also a bit concerned as to what is happening at USCIS with furlough, looking for bailouts etc
I think you mean immigrant visas (IV) that then leads to a GC being issued when the immigrant arrives in the US. While this is normally a technicality it could well make a difference depending on how the rules are written. i.e. if you don’t have a GC an airline might not board you.... even though a GC is waiting on your arrival....