Recent L1-A Experience

Old Mar 15th 2020, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sell27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent L1-A Experience

Hi,

Firstly I have found the posts on this forum really useful!

I thought I would share my L1-A experience.

My work have sponsored me via an L1-A. My personal experience of getting this visa was really quick and simple. My company already had a L1-A blanket petition.

The work attorney started on my paperwork on the 10th Feb. They had a long questionnaire for me to fill in first about my current role, and new role. I had to explicitly detail my managerial role and responsibilities with copies of the organisational chart.

I received the final paperwork last Monday from the attorney. This was after a few errors from the attorney. They had the wrong salary on the paperwork, which was vastly off. To the point where no manager moving to the SF bay area could conceivably be offered that salary. The also made another error when they re-sent the corrected forms and cover letter….We got there in the end!
Before my appointment I had a call with the attorney to talk me through the process and answer any questions I might have.

Last Wednesday I attended my interview in London and was approved right away. The interview itself was no more than 2 mins. I was asked 2 questions, what is my new role and how long have I worked at the company.
I arrived at 8am, for 8.30am appointment and was done by 10.30am. You initially have to queue outside, so be prepared for the weather. I took a small backpack to carry my files and that was fine.
My recommendation is to book the 8am appointment, if possible, as many of the 8am people arrived the same time as me but,were sent through first.

When you are checked in to the embassy, you will get a number. On the first floor you will wait until your number comes up with the window to check through your documents and process fees. Please note, the numbers do not necessarily come up in order. I had to wait much longer than others, as there was only one officer for L1-A’s that day.

On Friday I received notification that my completed passport and documentation was now with the courier. It should be ready for collection at my chosen depot tomorrow.

A fairly simple process to get my L1-A.

Not so simple for my husband’s L2 unfortunately!
Old Mar 15th 2020, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recent L1-A Experience

So everything is now on hold?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Well we have no idea at the moment. My Sister works for the UK embassy and she said that when a country travel ban is in place they will no longer accept any new applications or appointments. Applications that have been processed will be continued to be processed but they will not issue the Visa stamp until the travel ban has been lifted.
I assume the USA will work in a similar way?

My husband attended the same appointment as me, but he needed to supply extra information regarding his ACRO form, which stated ' no live trace'.
We wished we came to this forum earlier as we would have known to get all details of his convictions from 2006.

We now have no idea what will happen with his application now. We hope they will continue to process it.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sell27
Well we have no idea at the moment. My Sister works for the UK embassy and she said that when a country travel ban is in place they will no longer accept any new applications or appointments. Applications that have been processed will be continued to be processed but they will not issue the Visa stamp until the travel ban has been lifted.

My husband attended the same appointment as me, but he needed to supply extra information regarding his ACRO form, which stated ' no live trace'.
We wished we came to this forum earlier as we would have known to get all details of his convictions from 2006.

We now have no idea what will happen with his application now. We hope they will continue to process it.

do you think this will apply also for L1 extensions (whilst in USA)? I am literally just signing applicationoff now as current expires in a few months
Old Mar 16th 2020, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
do you think this will apply also for L1 extensions (whilst in USA)? I am literally just signing applicationoff now as current expires in a few months
I assume if you are in in the USA you are good to continue as normal. I'm guessing this is for applications/ appointments coming from UK or Europe only.

I see the London embassy have cancelled all new Non immigrant visa appointments until further notice.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

NewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
You have to leave the US to get the new visa stamp right? An extension is actually a new application for all intensive purposes as a brand new visa is issued.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

NewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sell27

So did your husband get put into administrative processing for "no live trace"? I think it's going to be a long holding pattern given the current climate unfortunately. However, get them the info they can at least maybe they can make a decision before and then hopefully issue your visa's right away once approved? I assume some admin tasks are being done remotely?

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Not a visa, and extension, if you leave then you need a visa to return.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not a visa, and extension, if you leave then you need a visa to return.
There is quite a lot of confusion about extensions, really it is a brand new application based in your current situation. Obviously the time you have worked in the US counts towards your maximum allowance but that is it.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

I have not come across much confusion.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have not come across much confusion.
The guy on this very thread thought he could do it from inside the US.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewStarter
You have to leave the US to get the new visa stamp right? An extension is actually a new application for all intensive purposes as a brand new visa is issued.
nope being done from here. Even tho L1 expires very soon, actual visa stamp has a few more years on it.... unfortunately we just missed premium processing by a couple of days (no premium processing now due to covid19). not that it is an option obviously in the foreseeable future... but we cant leave the USA as we wont get back in.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Yes we have assumed administrative processing. We sent the final information needed via email. The only response we got, after we probed on a second email, was "Thank you, information received".
I would like to think they are still working remotely and making decisions on applications, so that when things are back to normal visa's are issued.
At the moment, we have no idea what decision has been made, if any. Not really sure what the normal process is, when dealing with the visa approval via email (after the appointment).
Old Apr 6th 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewStarter
The guy on this very thread thought he could do it from inside the US.
That's because you CAN do an extension from inside the US - my petition is pending with USCIS right now.

The bit that can't be done from inside the US is the issuance of a new visa foil if you require one, since they can only be issued by a US Embassy.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

You can do extensions from inside the US via Administrative Processing. Most Attornies (mine included) advise against it because you can be stuck in AP for a while at which point you're effectively land-locked as you wouldn't be able to return to the US if you left. However given the current travel ban, that becomes far less of an issue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.