Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A Embassy Interview Experience – London

L1A Embassy Interview Experience – London

Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold
Default L1A Embassy Interview Experience – London

My Wife and I had my Embassy interview today, I thought the experience might be useful to other forum users… and at least put people’s mind at rest as I know I was fairly worried about the ‘unknown’ experience of the interview.

I am the principal applicant on an L1-A Visa and my Wife is the trailing Spouse (lovely title) also have 2 trailing Minors.

This is how our day went:

9.55 am – Arrive at the Embassy from Bond Street tube, a 5 minute walk. Our appointment was for 10.30 am and the Embassy advise that you do not arrive more than 30 minutes prior to your appointment time. A tensa-barrier security cordon is set up outside the Embassy adjacent to the park (the porta cabins of old are now long gone and everything is al’fresco (glorious weather today but Umbrellas are on hand for more typical London days.) An armed Met Police officer questions you regarding electronic devices, keys etc and will not allow you to enter the Disneyland style barriers until you have answered the questions. Then once you reach the head of the line you are questioned again, they require that you show them:
• Interview confirmation letter
• Machine readable fee receipt
• Supplement to visa application (EVAF barcode form)
NB – There is a ZERO tolerance on ANY electronic devices, and ALL items including wallets, wristwatches, belts, loose change and ANY items in your pockets have to be removed and placed into your bag, clear plastic bags are provided if you do not have a bag. You are then moved to a second cordon, where passports are checked against the interviews listed on that days log. You then proceed into one of the gold security buildings, to go through an airport style metal detector, all bags are X-Rayed. Once you clear security you walk around the side of the embassy down a fenced path. At the entrance to the embassy there is another desk and all of the above paper-work is checked again, plus forms DS156 for ALL applicants and DS157 for Male applicants. You are issued a barcoded 2-part number on stickers DO NOT LOOSE THIS it is the key to the entire process.

10.15 am – Once you have your number you arrive in the main visa hall, which has been described like a 1970’s Argos, which is a great description. There are several plasma screens and an announcement calls out applicant numbers and directs them to the relevant windows. There are 25 windows. You must listen carefully to the announcements as they are NOT in numerical order and you do not want to miss your place. When we arrived there were 70 people in the queue, the bottom of each plasma screen indicates the number of people in the queue and for which type of visa application, Immigrant, Non Immigrant, E-Visa and DHS. There is a snack bar in the hall which sells drinks, sandwiches and candy bars, at refreshingly sensible prices (all be it London prices) there is no play area or open space for children and kids (and adults) will be expected to sit patiently for several hours in school assembly style chairs, if you can avoid bringing small kids do so, it is just not fair on them. There is NO requirement for minors and infants to attend interviews at the embassy. There is a passport photo machine in the visa hall that takes the required standard pictures if needed.

10.50 am we –We were called to the first series of windows, and asked to provide
• Interview confirmation letter
• Machine readable fee receipt
• Supplement to visa application (EVAF barcode form)
• Form DS156
• Form DS157 (extra security for Male applicants)
• Suitable photograph for application (don’t stick this to the form, they do this for you)
• Passport
• Barcoded stickers (supplied at entry)

This was required for each applicant, and no other paperwork was requested, the teller was very friendly and checked all the forms carefully. They then take your finger prints using an electronic scanner, all ten fingers and thumbs. The teller the provides you with a courier form with one of the Barcoded stickers attached, the form explains the return process for passports via secure courier service. You are then asked to return to your seat and advised you will be called for an interview.

10.58 am – We returned to our seats for the long wait ;-) Bring a book and continue to pay attention to the announcements as they are not called out in order and the numbers can be confusing as they will now be calling newer entrants to the initial checking process with higher numbers and lower already checked numbers for the interview process.

1.25 pm – Our number was called and we went up to the higher numbered interview windows. The embassy staff member was very friendly and asked me just one question friendly question the kind you would expect from a travel agnet. She then asked my Wife how long we had been married, and that was it. We were approved. You have to pay another fee and fill out a form, but that’s it, it took no more than 4 minutes for the entire interview! They did not ask to see any paperwork at all, even though I had taken triplicate copies of every possible thing you could think of. I actually asked why the process was so simple and was advised that as we had used an immigration attorney everything they needed had already been provided by the attorney in advance to the Embassy. You are given a final form and directed to the courier desk at the rear of the visa hall.

1.28 pm – Joined the final queue for the courier desk, for the return of your passports. This is run by a 3rd party courier and you are given several options for the return of your passports and papers which are shipped back to you within 5 to 7 days. For more details visit www.securemail.co.uk

1.57 pm – Left the embassy.. just under 4 hours for the whole process.

If anybody is worried or scared about the interview I hope this might help put their minds at rest, all the embassy staff, security staff and courier staff were friendly and helpful and answered all questions and genuinely gave the impression they were there to aid the process.

Sir Denis
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A Embassy Interview Experience – London

nice detailed summary!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Great summary, and thanks for the info.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

For information, I had my interview for L1A in Belfast last week. It is quicker and cheaper for me to fly to Belfast from Birmingham than take the train to London. We arrived at the gate at 9.30 am and waited to go through security. People were taken in 2 at a time but my husband and I counted as one person. Had to take all paperwork that formed the petition out of the back and put any keys etc in a box for checking. Passports were checked against the list of names for that day, through the security archway and then out to the Consulate( 10.20). Security guards were friendly and it is possible/required that everything not needed as part of the application is left with them. Once in the Consulate you join the queue for pre-screening which took about 20 minutes. I was asked for my full petition and asked a couple of questions about my business at this stage. People whose barcode was not readable, were directed to a laptop to fill in a duplicate application form. Names were called out when it was your turn to have your fingerprints taken.Ours were done at 11.20. Wait for interview and people were again called by name and told to go to interview booth. We were called at about 11.40. A few questions about both the UK and US companies, nothing too taxing. My husband was not asked anything at all. Next we were told to pay $105 for his L2 and off we went (11.55) All very straightforward and easy.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice

Thanks for that, very very useful. We are due to go in August and that info has been great.