Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I move back to the UK and be a citizen or apply for Returning Resident

Can I move back to the UK and be a citizen or apply for Returning Resident

Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:47 am
Just Joined

rachaelmanx is on a distinguished road
Default Can I move back to the UK and be a citizen or apply for Returning Resident

Hello,
Could you please help me with the following situation?
My Mother is British along with my Grand parent's, great Grandparent's and all my ancestor's on my Mother's side.
My Mother married my Dad who was in the US navy and docked in Plymouth, Devon in the late 1940's.
I was born in Portsmouth Virgina US navy hospital in 1952 and returned to the UK when I was about one year's old.
When my Dad got out of the US navy he worked until he retired in Plymouth.
I grew up in Plymouth from the age of one , went to school and worked from the age of 15. I have a national insurance card # .
I got married in 1971 to an Englishman and divorced in 1975. I also have a daughter that was born in The Isle Of Man in 1975.
I remarried in 1979 and moved to the US just 10 day's after getting married. My daughter also moved with us at the age of 3.
I had never applied for a British passport and seeing as how my new husband wanted to go to the UK only applied for a US one.
I have returned so many time's to the UK to visit my family and friend's and really miss England so very much and would love to move back and live there again.
I am now divorced and receive permanant alimony of $3000 american dollars per month which is about 1500 pounds.
My boyfriend who I actually knew 35 year's ago live's in Plymouth and I flew home twice to see him last year and he came here in March 2008, I am also flying home to see him, family and friend's again in September.
If you can answer these question's it would mean so much to me as I really want to return home to Plymouth as it was and alway's will be where my heart is and belong's.
1. Am I a British citizen or resident? I was issued an Insurance Card # and worked at the age of 15. I never took an oath to become an American or gave up being British and always class myself as a Brit.
2.Am I allowed to return and live in the Uk?.
3.If I can live in the Uk and decide to work can I use the same National insurance card # I was given as a child it start's with the letter's YR?.
4.Am I classed as a returning resident,?. I have lived in the US for about the same amount of year's I lived in England and I have returned so many times.
5. I want to return so much, what do I need to do to make this possible?.
6. Am I allowed to purchase a home in the Uk?.
7. I recieved child allowance and a pint of milk for my daughter when I lived in the UK is it possible she was issued a National insurance #?.
8. If my daughter wanted to return to the UK how could she go about doing so ?. She was born in 1975 on the Isle of Man. I was not married to her father who is Manx.
I have a copy of my Mum's British birth certificate(she is still British) my Dad always retained his US citizenship but lived in England the majority of his life(working and such), their marriage certificate, my marriage certificate ect. along with my National Insurance # card and a letter from the high school I atteneded , I also have a copy/picture of my GrandFather receiving a card from Her Royal Magesty The Queen when he turned 100 year's old from the local newspaper.
I have gone on so many web-site's and made so many phone call's but no-one seem's to know the answer's to my question's.
If you can help me it would mean so much to me and I want to do everything right and to know that it is legal.
Thankyou for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Please respond with any advice that is very appreciated. Thank you so very much.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice
Default Re: Can I move back to the UK and be a citizen or apply for Returning Resident

Rachael, I can't help with any of the info you need, but I've just read your posts and can feel your heartfelt plea.

I just want to send you some lucky Karma, hope you get everything sorted to your advantage, and your mum gets to come home!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move back to the UK and be a citizen or apply for Returning Resident

Already thoroughly discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548496