L1 visa and SSN

Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all
Default L1 visa and SSN

Hi All

Okay, hopefully final question from this side of the pond before we move on Saturday. Hubby has had his L1 visa approved and we have now received the passports back with the lovely little visa included.

Question(s) we have is this...........
1. how does hubby get his SSN? We had thought it would be applied for by the lawyer at the time of the visa petition but it doesnt appear to be the case from the petition docs that we have seen.
2.If ques 1 is the case, does hubby have to go to the local SSN centre and apply and how long does this take to get the number, also does this affect his working? He is obviously working straight away when we come over but does he need the SSN to do this with his company? what about his pay into a US bank account - do they need the SSN pay in.
3. When can i apply for mine? can it be done at the same time if we need to go to the SSN centre to do this
4.Without the SSN what cant we do? (i.e can we start the driving licence process, buy a car etc etc)

I have searched through alot of the forum but head is spinning on it now.

Thanks in advance as i know you will have answered this question a hundred times before.

Best regards and see you all soon on the other side of the pond.

T
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa and SSN

Generally you apply for SSN once in the US and you can prove that you have a valid work visa.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
1. how does hubby get his SSN?
He files form SS-5 at any SSA office. It'll take about 2 weeks to get the physical card, but he can probably get the number within a day or two of filing. He will have to go in person - nothing by phone or email.

... also does this affect his working?
He will get a receipt from SSA when he files - and he needs to show that receipt to the employer. He does not need a SSN to open a bank account.

3. When can i apply for mine? can it be done at the same time if we need to go to the SSN centre to do this
Your L-2 visa gives you no entitlement to a SSN. You can't get one until after you have an EAD - which you can apply for the day you enter the US but which will take about 60-90 days to get. Once you have an EAD, you can apply for a SSN - in person.

4.Without the SSN what cant we do? (i.e can we start the driving licence process, buy a car etc etc)
You can do pretty much whatever you want. Some DMVs will not issue a D/L without a SSN - but that depends on the state... so feel free to look it up.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He files form SS-5 at any SSA office. It'll take about 2 weeks to get the physical card, but he can probably get the number within a day or two of filing. He will have to go in person - nothing by phone or email.
In addition to the 2 week wait for the card, you'll need to wait 10 days or so after you arrive on your L visas to go to the SSA office - before that you won't be in the system.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Your L-2 visa gives you no entitlement to a SSN. You can't get one until after you have an EAD - which you can apply for the day you enter the US but which will take about 60-90 days to get. Once you have an EAD, you can apply for a SSN - in person.
L2 spouses do get SSNs (I got mine with no problem) - it's just L2 children that don't. You don't need to wait for your EAD to get your SSN.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi All

Okay, hopefully final question from this side of the pond before we move on Saturday. Hubby has had his L1 visa approved and we have now received the passports back with the lovely little visa included.

Question(s) we have is this...........
1. how does hubby get his SSN? We had thought it would be applied for by the lawyer at the time of the visa petition but it doesnt appear to be the case from the petition docs that we have seen.
2.If ques 1 is the case, does hubby have to go to the local SSN centre and apply and how long does this take to get the number, also does this affect his working? He is obviously working straight away when we come over but does he need the SSN to do this with his company? what about his pay into a US bank account - do they need the SSN pay in.
I see you're traveling soon!
It's probably best for you to make the trip to SSA together.. pain shared and all.

1- Apply as indicated, with form SS-5 & all your evidence, for you including marriage certificate. You're not eligible for these numbers until you enter the US, that's why lawyer couldn't do it for you.

2- You both need to go in in person & prove your identity and eligibility. Hubby can be paid before he gets the number; he might bring this up ASAP with Payroll so they don't delay him right when you need some cash.

3- Only for an interest bearing account. Don't apply for one of those yet.

4- These other things *can* be worked around, but it make sense to get the SSN first. Guard the SSN... everyone wants it, but it is your private info. You might read up a little on this (I know you have no time now) instead of dutifully giving it to every clerk that asks. It's a complex topic, but your SSN is the gateway to identity theft so keep it close.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
I see you're traveling soon!
It's probably best for you to make the trip to SSA together.. pain shared and all.

2- You both need to go in in person & prove your identity and eligibility. Hubby can be paid before he gets the number; he might bring this up ASAP with Payroll so they don't delay him right when you need some cash.

3- Only for an interest bearing account. Don't apply for one of those yet.
2. This depends on the company he is working for. Sometimes with outsourced payroll proveders he will need a SSN.But most likely your employer
can work out advances until evrything has been sorted out.

3. Wells Frage will open accounts easily without SSN .But a letter from your employer with your new address and a paystub or something with your address will help.
Wells Fargo might be not the best choice but they have also excellent transatlantic banking facilities to UK in case you want to transfer money.
International wires took me only 24 hours to rech my account on both sides.

Kind Regards
CCR