Canadians are different

Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:41 pm
Banned

brook_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadians are different

Originally Posted by paul1963
Evening all, it's been a while since I was last on here and I just wondered if any of the ESTA rules have eased in the past 10 months or have they become more stringent.

What I mean by this is some of you may recall my wish to go to the US next year for a two week holiday but due to the fact that I have a crime of MT it was unlikely that an ESTA application would be granted due to the fact that any application at the time would be deemed too recent to the crime taking place in 2007.

A couple of very helpful members on here advised me to try after 3 years provided no further crimes have been committed and next year, 2010 ,will be the 3 years so the reason for my post is to ask if this 3 year gap is something that the US immigration still have the door ajar on or have things changed for the worse since I was inquired on here last year?

Thanks in advance.
If you dont have Canadian Passport you will continue to face tougher and tougher restrictions for US (ESTA is just one of the moves).Its a complete biased attitude. Mexicans are not so much respected in US as they do for Canadians.Unfortunately all countries (India,UK,Germany,France,Sweden etc.) are in other classification bucket in US laws and Canada is in elite bucket.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:55 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anthing changed with the ESTA system in the past 10 months?

Originally Posted by brook_girl
If you dont have Canadian Passport you will continue to face tougher and tougher restrictions for US (ESTA is just one of the moves).Its a complete biased attitude. Mexicans are not so much respected in US as they do for Canadians.Unfortunately all countries (India,UK,Germany,France,Sweden etc.) are in other classification bucket in US laws and Canada is in elite bucket.

Huh? Where do you get this stuff? Canadians with certain criminal convictions need a waiver just like people from other countries. Canadians are often exempt from obtaining actual visas, and can apply for NAFTA work permits, but being Canadian wouldn't change much for this person. If he needs a waiver as a UK citizen, he needs a waiver as a Canadian. Canadians still need approved petitions for work visas etc.

Countries are treated differently based on economic conditions, location, visa denial rates, risk factors and reciprocal agreements.

As far as US immigration laws are concerned, the only real elite bucket belongs to US citizens.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:10 pm
Banned

Question Re: Has anthing changed with the ESTA system in the past 10 months?

Originally Posted by crg
Huh? Where do you get this stuff? Canadians with certain criminal convictions need a waiver just like people from other countries. Canadians are often exempt from obtaining actual visas, and can apply for NAFTA work permits, but being Canadian wouldn't change much for this person. If he needs a waiver as a UK citizen, he needs a waiver as a Canadian. Canadians still need approved petitions for work visas etc.

Countries are treated differently based on economic conditions, location, visa denial rates, risk factors and reciprocal agreements.

As far as US immigration laws are concerned, the only real elite bucket belongs to US citizens.
After US Citizens the second nationality valued inside US is Canada.

There is no ESTA for Canadians and normal Canadians get visitor stay for 6 months which is not available for any other nationality.Canadians dont need to attend visa interviews or stamping headache. The I-94 for H1B and TN visa are easily/convineantly supplied/presented on US Border to elite class.Australia and NewZealand have same economic conditions, location, visa denial rates, risk factors and reciprocal agreements (NAFTA and AUSFTA) but treatment is still different between NewZealand and Canada.

Last edited by brook_girl; Oct 27th 2009 at 9:13 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is no ESTA for Canadians
Do you know why? It's because Canada does *not* participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

... and normal Canadians get visitor stay for 6 months which is not available for any other nationality.
Anyone with a B-2 visa will get a 6 month stay.

Canadians dont need to attend visa interviews or stamping headache.
Bullshit. I did - and I am a Canadian.

The I-94 for H1B and TN visa are easily/convineantly supplied/presented on US Border to elite class.
It must really suck to be you! You have nothing useful to add, and yet you seem to have plenty to complain about. Nothing you have said here has any value. If you're going to post rubbish... do it someplace else.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:31 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Bermudians don't need visas and can stay for up to six months as visitors. British, French, and Netherland citizens residing in parts of the Caribbean don't need visas. Bahamians don't need visas at preclearance ports of entry. Mexicans with a border crossing card don't need an I-94 for short visits and don't even need a passport. A person from a NATO country such as Turkey can come to the US with NATO travel orders even if they're a criminal.

Prior to March of 2003, someone from dozens of countries including India who resided in Canada could travel to the US without a passport, visa, or any other identification if the guard believed them. French, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese citizens living in Canada did not enjoy the same ability.

Canadians can't participate in the Diversity Visa lottery.

Canadians get most of their breaks because of their location. It would not be practical to have the same rules for everyone.

They get breaks because it is in the interest of the US government to do so.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do you know why? It's because Canada does *not* participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

Anyone with a B-2 visa will get a 6 month stay.

Bullshit. I did - and I am a Canadian.

It must really suck to be you! You have nothing useful to add, and yet you seem to have plenty to complain about. Nothing you have said here has any value. If you're going to post rubbish... do it someplace else.

Ian
Sorry I am new to this forum.Suppose if UK no longer participate in VWP then can people with UK passport still visit US?I dont think so. There is no country around this globe except Canada who doesn't participate in VWP and can stay in US for 6 months without B2 visa stamping.H1B and TN needs no stamping from embassy on Canadian passport. Its a big benefit.Have you ever struggled to search appoint on NVARS appointment system For B2 visa (6 months stay) there is a visa procedure and interview is required.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by crg
Bermudians don't need visas and can stay for up to six months as visitors. British, French, and Netherland citizens residing in parts of the Caribbean don't need visas. Bahamians don't need visas at preclearance ports of entry. Mexicans with a border crossing card don't need an I-94 for short visits and don't even need a passport. A person from a NATO country such as Turkey can come to the US with NATO travel orders even if they're a criminal.

Prior to March of 2003, someone from dozens of countries including India who resided in Canada could travel to the US without a passport, visa, or any other identification if the guard believed them. French, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese citizens living in Canada did not enjoy the same ability.

Canadians can't participate in the Diversity Visa lottery.

Canadians get most of their breaks because of their location. It would not be practical to have the same rules for everyone.

They get breaks because it is in the interest of the US government to do so.
Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose if UK no longer participate in VWP then can people with UK passport still visit US? I dont think so.
You think wrong then. People from the UK will *always* visit the US.

There is no country around this globe except Canada who doesn't participate in VWP and can stay in US for 6 months without B2 visa stamping.
So what? If you don't like the fact that Canada has closer economic ties to the US than any other country in the world... too bad. Deal with it... then get over it.

H1B and TN needs no stamping from embassy on Canadian passport. Its a big benefit.
Yes, it is. Here's a newsflash... if you were a Canadian citizen, then those benefits would apply to you also!

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Posts off the original topic have been split out; OP is having a difficult enough time with his own topic.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Posts off the original topic have been split out; OP is having a difficult enough time with his own topic.
Thank you!

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Ian
Made the header just for you.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Sorry I am new to this forum.
I'm going to add another thought here - I'm sure you won't mind.

You seem to believe that because the US has such close ties to Canada that Canadians are treated differently than any other people in the world. Well, that's probably true.

By extension, though, you also seem to believe that the rest of the world is somehow discriminated against because of the close ties the US has with Canada.

If that's what you think, then I believe you're wrong.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Made the header just for you.
You're a honey! I would probably have titled it: Canadians are Special.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:28 pm

You're a honey! I would probably have titled it: Canadians are Special.

Ian
<koff>
Spoiler:
Special needs, maybe.

(hey! half Canadian here!)
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:38 pm
Banned

I'm going to add another thought here - I'm sure you won't mind.

You seem to believe that because the US has such close ties to Canada that Canadians are treated differently than any other people in the world. Well, that's probably true.

By extension, though, you also seem to believe that the rest of the world is somehow discriminated against because of the close ties the US has with Canada.

If that's what you think, then I believe you're wrong.

Ian
Is this the common border which create such close ties?I dont think well US have close ties with Mexico too but Mexico is not considered as respectable as Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.