Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 Visa approved - arrivals procedure

L1 Visa approved - arrivals procedure

Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:47 am
Just Joined

thistle4171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa approved - arrivals procedure

Hi

Im sure it may have been posted before but I can't seen anything obvious.

I received L1 visa last week and travel to US on business on Saturday but will not transfer "full time" with family until around Christmas.

When I arrive in US on my L1 visa for first time, what is entry procedure? i.e. paperwork completed, processing times

I have a short stop over time on arrival at Newark and keen to know what to expect!

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa approved - arrivals procedure

Originally Posted by thistle4171
Hi

Im sure it may have been posted before but I can't seen anything obvious.

I received L1 visa last week and travel to US on business on Saturday but will not transfer "full time" with family until around Christmas.

When I arrive in US on my L1 visa for first time, what is entry procedure? i.e. paperwork completed, processing times

I have a short stop over time on arrival at Newark and keen to know what to expect!

Thanks
From my own experience.... usual line, same long wait if your flight got in just after another one. When you go to the counter and they ask why you are there, you say to work, you hand over the completed I-94 (white) and your customs form. They will likely ask you who you are working for, what job role, and I have been asked other questions about my employer, how long I have been with them etc. Then the usual fingerprint, picture and on you go... after the usual "Good luck to you..."

Have done this about 8 times now since April in both EWR and DUB and have never had any issues or been asked for any additional documents.

tht
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistle4171
Time in secondary with the officer will likely be about 10 minutes... but getting to the front of the line is quite time consuming. If you have 2 hours between flights, you'll probably be okay. If you have only an hour... you're going to be biting your nails for the duration. You don't get to jump the line based on connecting flights.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:14 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Time in secondary with the officer will likely be about 10 minutes... but getting to the front of the line is quite time consuming. If you have 2 hours between flights, you'll probably be okay. If you have only an hour... you're going to be biting your nails for the duration. You don't get to jump the line based on connecting flights.

Ian
How do you know the OP will go to secondary? I did not on my first or any subsequent L1-A entry.

tht
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
How do you know the OP will go to secondary? I did not on my first or any subsequent L1-A entry.

tht
What did you do with 'the envelope'?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:34 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Supporting documents? I have them in my draw at work.

tht
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:09 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

tht
We didn't either.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I see this alot. What envelope are you talking about? we came with our visa's in our passport and the paperwork in our hand luggage for safety.

We had exactly the same experience as tht described.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Immigrant and K visa holders arrive with a 'Mysterious Brown Envelope' that has to be handed in at first arrival.

Other non-immigrants get different paperwork (copies of LCA, I-797C etc).
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

First time I entered on my L1A in March this year (at JFK) I took all the paperwork that was produced during my Visa application. I wasn't asked to produce anything, wasn't taken to secondary and the only question I was asked is what my job title is. I have re entered the US 4 times in total since March, all at JFK and each time the only question I have been asked is job title.