Double entry to USA on ESTA

Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

coppermill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double entry to USA on ESTA

We are travelling on a round the world ticket, and we entering the USA from London to New York (JFK).

We then cross over into Canada and travel for a month around Canada ending up in Vancouver.

We then need to come back into the USA from Canada at the land border and travel down to LA to catch our next flight.

We both have ESTA authorisation for the first entry, do we need anything further when we cross the border from Canada to USA over land?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:42 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double entry to USA on ESTA

Originally Posted by coppermill
We are travelling on a round the world ticket, and we entering the USA from London to New York (JFK).

We then cross over into Canada and travel for a month around Canada ending up in Vancouver.

We then need to come back into the USA from Canada at the land border and travel down to LA to catch our next flight.

We both have ESTA authorisation for the first entry, do we need anything further when we cross the border from Canada to USA over land?
No. ESTA is good for two years, and in any case, it is not required for entry by road.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When you first enter the US, you'll be given a 90 day entry. Time in Canada, Mexico & adjacent islands count, so when you cross into Canada, you're still "in" the US for immigration purposes.

When you re-enter from Vancouver, you'll have to go inside to be readmitted on the VWP and should be allowed back in for the balance of your original 90 days. There may be a $6US fee for an I-94W card (or not).. this is something that's being changed right now so it's better to be prepared for either.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:09 am
Just Joined

gotenks2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
When you first enter the US, you'll be given a 90 day entry. Time in Canada, Mexico & adjacent islands count, so when you cross into Canada, you're still "in" the US for immigration purposes.

When you re-enter from Vancouver, you'll have to go inside to be readmitted on the VWP and should be allowed back in for the balance of your original 90 days. There may be a $6US fee for an I-94W card (or not).. this is something that's being changed right now so it's better to be prepared for either.
When you cross the border by land you'll have to apply for an I-94W card (green). ESTA is useless at the land border, it's only when you travel by air or sea.

I just traveled to Dallas from Mexico by land and crossed through the Laredo's border and I had to apply for the I-94W permit. So they still use it at the land borders.

It's easy; You only go with an Immigration officer in the border's office and they just ask you some questions and that's it.... You have to pay $6