L1-A to Green Card

Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:41 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1-A to Green Card

Hi,

I've just accepted a job in the US (Chicago), they're applying for a L1-A (intercompany transfer) for me and accompanying visas for the family (wife & daughter). They've also agreed to sponsor us for Green cards.

Couple of questions:
1) What's the timeline like to convert L1-A to Green card? Is there a waiting period before we can apply or can we get it underway as soon as L1-A is issued?
2) Is there a choice of visa for my wife. She's not planning to work immediately (our daughters only a few month old) but I'd rather get a work visa upfront in case she wants to go back to work
3) Is there anything else I should be asking the company to provide from a visa standpoint. They have agreed to pay all visa & processing costs for the family.

We're both british citizens but live in Vancouver, Canada as permanent residents. Daughter is Canadian and British citizen by descent (she'll have both Canadian & UK passports, we just have UK).

Many more questions to follow I'm sure..

Thanks,
Rob
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-A to Green Card

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Hi,

I've just accepted a job in the US (Chicago), they're applying for a L1-A (intercompany transfer) for me and accompanying visas for the family (wife & daughter). They've also agreed to sponsor us for Green cards.

Couple of questions:
1) What's the timeline like to convert L1-A to Green card? Is there a waiting period before we can apply or can we get it underway as soon as L1-A is issued?
2) Is there a choice of visa for my wife. She's not planning to work immediately (our daughters only a few month old) but I'd rather get a work visa upfront in case she wants to go back to work
3) Is there anything else I should be asking the company to provide from a visa standpoint. They have agreed to pay all visa & processing costs for the family.

We're both british citizens but live in Vancouver, Canada as permanent residents. Daughter is Canadian and British citizen by descent (she'll have both Canadian & UK passports, we just have UK).

Thanks,
Rob
Wifey's fine. She gets an L-2 which allows her to get an EAD and therefore work.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:50 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Wifey's fine. She gets an L-2 which allows her to get an EAD and therefore work.
Excellent - just what I wanted to hear, wifey might have a different opinion though!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:03 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent - just what I wanted to hear, wifey might have a different opinion though!
hehe ye I had hoped that my EAD would take months to come through so I could be a lady of leisure....sadly it came in just over a month
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What's the timeline like to convert L1-A to Green card? Is there a waiting period before we can apply or can we get it underway as soon as L1-A is issued?
You can start the process as soon as the visa is issued. It's entirely up to the company though... so perhaps that could be negotiated and put in writing. You won't believe the number of companies that agree to sponsor for a GC and then decide afterwards not to, or drag their feet so long as to appear totally indifferent. As for timelines... anywhere from 6 months to a year or two. It depends on where you are (ie. which district office you use), how quickly the company attorneys file paperwork, how timely you are at getting information to them, etc.

Your wife and daughter will both receive L-2 visas. Your wife won't get a "work visa" but she can apply for employment authorization once you're all in the US. Of course... even if she has permission to work, she doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to!

Your company sounds wonderful - sometimes it's like getting blood from a stone to get a company to arrange all the visa and processing costs *and* agree to a GC application.

No worries.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:28 pm
Bring on the snow!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can start the process as soon as the visa is issued. It's entirely up to the company though... so perhaps that could be negotiated and put in writing. You won't believe the number of companies that agree to sponsor for a GC and then decide afterwards not to, or drag their feet so long as to appear totally indifferent. As for timelines... anywhere from 6 months to a year or two. It depends on where you are (ie. which district office you use), how quickly the company attorneys file paperwork, how timely you are at getting information to them, etc.

Your wife and daughter will both receive L-2 visas. Your wife won't get a "work visa" but she can apply for employment authorization once you're all in the US. Of course... even if she has permission to work, she doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to!

Your company sounds wonderful - sometimes it's like getting blood from a stone to get a company to arrange all the visa and processing costs *and* agree to a GC application.

No worries.

Ian
Thanks Ian - very clear & helpful advise. Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
Get the ball rolling asap, although I'm curious if you might have to wait a year to meet basic residency requirements. Anyone know? I had an L1-A and didn't apply for a GC until after I'd renewed that L1 for another three years. The GC application was sponsored and paid for by the company, but it was far from a smooth process, mainly because between the HR department and the immigration attorney they managed to almost screw the whole thing up at several stages.

For example, my second L1 expired while the GC application was still being processed and somewhere along the line a communicaiton that I needed to apply for a temporary work permit to tide me over got lost, so I never got one. Fast forward to GC interview... I'm asked to turn in my work permit, to which I reply "um, I don't have one". Brief silence, followed by a chuckle and an "OK". Phew! This was, of course, before 9-11

So my only advice is you have to stay on top of everything yourself, regardless of who is supposed to be handling it for you.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Mungo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

So here's an interesting question: If you're on an L1 and then apply for a Green card, are you still 'sponsored' by your employer.

Or in other words, once you have the Green Card can you leave that employer and goto another one?

Of course this is notwithstanding any sort of contract that might have been drawn up between you and your employer to that effect.

Thanks in adv.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mungo5
So here's an interesting question: If you're on an L1 and then apply for a Green card, are you still 'sponsored' by your employer.

Or in other words, once you have the Green Card can you leave that employer and goto another one?

Of course this is notwithstanding any sort of contract that might have been drawn up between you and your employer to that effect.
Once you get the GC then you are eligible to work for any employer (apart from jobs for which only USCs are eligible, of course).

I recall reading somewhere on the forum that you should wait an amount of time before changing employers in this case (although this may only be the case if you have an I-485 application pending rather than having the actual GC in hand - I forget)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
I'm curious if you might have to wait a year to meet basic residency requirements.
For most (all?) areas of the US, residency for immigration purposes = 3 months.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

If you're on an L1 and then apply for a Green card, are you still 'sponsored' by your employer.
Yes. Applying for a GC does not alter the original visa sponsorship.

Yes. By the way... this isn't "in other words". This is a completely different scenario.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheCynick
I recall reading somewhere on the forum that you should wait an amount of time before changing employers in this case...
There is no such legal requirement... it's a suggestion only. AFAIK, an employee who gets a GC can leave the sponsoring company the same day - if he so chooses.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Get the ball rolling asap, although I'm curious if you might have to wait a year to meet basic residency requirements. Anyone know?
As far as I know, you can apply for a GC on Day One after arrival in the US on an L visa (if eligible). In fact, you can also skip the L visa and apply for an Immigrant Visa if you prefer.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Yes, and be sure to use that fact as leverage for a promotion or pay rise
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
In fact, you can also skip the L visa and apply for an Immigrant Visa if you prefer.
what do you mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.