L1 for a charity, is it viable?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:38 am
Just Joined

mtm103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 for a charity, is it viable?

Hello

We are currently in the process of looking for somewhere new to move to and I need some help regarding a potential job offer for my husband in the US. The back ground is as follows:

About 5 years ago he started doing some part time work for a guy with a registered charity (on the environment) in the US. The US guy was working on this charity full time to begin with, but now I think he is employing other people and he is looking to expand. My husband gets paid but not that much. For a year he was also working for this charity full time while we were living abroad and I was working. Now the charity would like him to work full time and we are wondering if we could get to the US via this route. Is this viable? He does all the IT web work (the charity is all web based) and he is down as some kind of board member. He gets paid as a consultant, and he also did an environmental science degree which is why he got this part time job in the first place.

Any help is much appreciated…

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 for a charity, is it viable?

Originally Posted by mtm103
Now the charity would like him to work full time and we are wondering if we could get to the US via this route. Is this viable?
A business is a business is a business... and a charity is nothing more than a not-for-profit business. Businesses use the word "charity" in the hopes that people think they're a poor struggling entity. Some "charity" businesses are huge international conglomerates with $billions in the bank. By the way, the charity can't be "all web based". There's a bank account someplace in a real bank and real money is being transacted.

That said, the company can sponsor him for an H-1B visa or perhaps an L-1 visa. Start with these. Note though that the H-1B "lottery" opens (and likely closes) on April 1, 2008 for work starting in October 2008. The L visa is easier to get if he qualifies!

By the way, congratulations on your recent marriage. I assume you're married since on January 29, he was still your fiance! Your ability to travel with him to the US might hinge on your marital status.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

mtm103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

We are trying to see about the L1 visa, the problem is the bit about the charity having to carry on work in the non US company... He may not qualify for that, as if he were to move to the US, then that would be it for outside the US presence.

As for the marriage thingy that is a good spot. We are not getting married for another few months (although sometimes I feel that we have been married forever) and I thought if I put fiance then I would get all replies saying I can't move as we are not married... I suppose distorting the truth never helps!

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is up to the Chartity and their Immigration Lawyer really.

Might be a good idea to have a chat with their Lawyer, the Lawyer should have the big picture.