British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   L1 B visa denied! Devastated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/l1-b-visa-denied-devastated-793488/)

hungryhorace Apr 21st 2013 2:57 pm

Re: L1 B visa denied! Devastated

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10669601)
If you have an approved ESAT you would need to update it with the visa denial.

Given that no visa was ever denied by a US consulate officer, i feel this is very very bad advice.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 21st 2013 3:15 pm

A ruse, nobody thinks they even applied.

DavidLemon Apr 21st 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 10670857)
Given that no visa was ever denied by a US consulate officer, i feel this is very very bad advice.

I think the point was that this is perfect an excuse for the company to come clean about the application as they could affect the op's ability to enter the US in the short term if his application was never officially submitted but he amends his esta to reflect fictitious visa denial.

therefore I think that this was more a statement to the benefit of the op. rather than advice.

alfista1 Apr 21st 2013 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10670892)
I think the point was that this is perfect an excuse for the company to come clean about the application as they could affect the op's ability to enter the US in the short term if his application was never officially submitted but he amends his esta to reflect fictitious visa denial.

therefore I think that this was more a statement to the benefit of the op. rather than advice.

Exactly. I will be asking them about this and explaining when I apply for the ESTA any traces of a petition or lack of petition will result in a instant denial of my VWP.:thumbsup:

alfista1 Apr 23rd 2013 8:06 pm

Soo... after drilling them with questions (their English wasn't too hot!) I found out through their awkwardly answered responses that it was an internal decision not to go forward!
What about an individual petition? 'well we as a company don't normally do that'
So that's a company policy? 'well not exactly a policy but it involves a lot of costs(more than blanket??) and time and we needed someone very soon'.
so it comes down to cost? 'well not really but we wanted a candidate who would be accepted a visa 100% guaranteed' !!

blah bah loads of BS.
For me they had chosen a local candidate and it was all just a farse and waste of my energy/time and health!
UK is not looking so dull(weather I mean) after all.

Michael Apr 23rd 2013 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear that they gave you the run around.

What is likely your next step?

alfista1 Apr 23rd 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10674884)
Sorry to hear that they gave you the run around.

What is likely your next step?

really not sure mate. Me and my wife are furious as you can imagine.

Really considering going back to the UK and taking a Masters and I think as 1 Brit amongst 1000+ local employees here their preference will always be one of them.

Already looking around to see what there is in the UK.
Dallas was somewhere where we really wanted to live though. This was our door into the country and I got the run around putting it politely.
Having a mid-life crisis now:frown:

DavidLemon Apr 23rd 2013 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by alfista1 (Post 10674861)
it was an internal decision not to go forward

Finally they conclude the obvious. Im really sorry things did not work out for you.

alfista1 Apr 23rd 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10674918)
Finally they conclude the obvious. Im really sorry things did not work out for you.

yep, just wanted to get it out of them in a face to face meeting.

Thanks for the support guys.

This is not the company I want to be working for anymore (at least this country's location for now).

Bet you it would have been a totally different affair if I was in the UK and applied for a L1B from there.

Michael Apr 23rd 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by alfista1 (Post 10674953)
yep, just wanted to get it out of them in a face to face meeting.

Thanks for the support guys.

This is not the company I want to be working for anymore (at least this country's location for now).

Bet you it would have been a totally different affair if I was in the UK and applied for a L1B from there.

What country are you working in?

alfista1 Apr 23rd 2013 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10674958)
What country are you working in?

Lets just say somewhere in South America.
Sorry don't want to be too specific on social sites that anyone can read.

(big brother paranoia ;))
employees have been fired for posting on social sites with too many specifics.

jxv73 Apr 24th 2013 12:31 am

You told us what consulate you would be applying earlier in this thread... BTW I loved the Mercado, best steak ever.

DavidLemon Apr 24th 2013 12:54 am

Originally Posted by alfista1 (Post 10674990)
Lets just say somewhere in South America.
Sorry don't want to be too specific on social sites that anyone can read.

(big brother paranoia ;))
employees have been fired for posting on social sites with too many specifics.

I think you have given away far more than you think. Infact one is willing to bet the companies name has something in common with a Big Bang Glow Stick.

Pulaski Apr 24th 2013 1:07 am

Originally Posted by alfista1 (Post 10674861)
Soo... after drilling them with questions (their English wasn't too hot!) I found out through their awkwardly answered responses that it was an internal decision not to go forward!
What about an individual petition? 'well we as a company don't normally do that'
So that's a company policy? 'well not exactly a policy but it involves a lot of costs(more than blanket??) and time and we needed someone very soon'.
so it comes down to cost? 'well not really but we wanted a candidate who would be accepted a visa 100% guaranteed' !!

blah bah loads of BS.
For me they had chosen a local candidate and it was all just a farce and waste of my energy/time and health!
UK is not looking so dull(weather I mean) after all.

Sorry to hear that. I got s¢rewed by an employer once too - I got invited to "try out" on a project in the US head office, to see if I'd be a good fit for a transfer. All went well, good project, liked the US team, but when I contacted the manager he told me "Oh no, there was no transfer, that wasn't possible.". :frown:

I believe that HR told him a visa wasn't possible, but he neglected to tell them, or had forgotten, that I was about to marry a USC, and that I didn't need sponsorship for a visa! It didn't much matter in the end, 25 months later I was here anyway. :)

alfista1 Apr 24th 2013 1:35 am

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10675181)
I think you have given away far more than you think. Infact one is willing to bet the companies name has something in common with a Big Bang Glow Stick.

yes you may be possibly right:p or maybe not!

Better pack my office box!