L1 B visa denied! Devastated

Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default L1 B visa denied! Devastated

Hi,

I work for a large global American company, Business Systems Analyst for more than 7 years now. I hold a Science degree from Oxford Brookes University.

Was offered a new position (Business Analyst) within the company, relocation to Texas and all expenses paid.

After several months of our law team working with immigration my visa was denied.

I was informed by HR it was everything they could do. Apparently my degree was not specifically related to the position even though I am experienced in the job already!

Very surprised that I was denied.

Is there anything I can do now or is that the end of the road?
Any other visa options or appeals available?

Lifetime opportunity for me and my family. We are completely gutted.

Regards
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 B visa denied! Devastated

I don't see that happening unfortunately.

What about appeals? Are they a waste of time? once they've decided that's it?

The whole idea of hiring us from the overseas offices was to fill a gap in the workforce in USA (travel industry GDS experience plus IT).

Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Was your visa (the stamp they out on the passport) denied at the consulate? Or was the petition (where your employer asks for L1 classification) denied by USCIS?

If it's the latter, a new petition can be submitted, hopefully fixing whatever deficiencies there were on the first one. An appeal is possible but takes years to be decided.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent question, thanks for asking it.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jxv73
Was your visa (the stamp they out on the passport) denied at the consulate? Or was the petition (where your employer asks for L1 classification) denied by USCIS?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jxv73

If it's the latter, a new petition can be submitted, hopefully fixing whatever deficiencies there were on the first one. An appeal is possible but takes years to be decided.

The latter yes. My employer's Global Mobility department. They don't even have my passport yet.

I have just contacted the HR department to see if they can appeal (or submit a new petition - is it best for them to wait a time period?). Years really?
Well if I can get a visa approval in a couple of years still better than nothing.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
The latter yes. My employer's Global Mobility department. They don't even have my passport yet.

I have just contacted the HR department to see if they can appeal (or submit a new petition - is it best for them to wait a time period?). Years really?
Well if I can get a visa approval in a couple of years still better than nothing.
I don't know if the same applies to a L-1B visa as a H-1B visa but the H-1B visa can use a combination of college and experience in the field to fulfill the requirement. 12 years of experience or a combination of experience and education is normally considered the same as a degree in that field. You could therefore attend one year of college in your field of expertise and that may also fulfill the requirement.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

But a degree is not a requirement for an L1B. It is based on specialized knowledge - perhaps they have changed the qualifying criteria since I was applying in 2006? Did you get to see the petition before it was submitted? Can you get a copy now and get second opinion as to whether they submitted a "good" case?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
But a degree is not a requirement for an L1B. It is based on specialized knowledge - perhaps they have changed the qualifying criteria since I was applying in 2006? Did you get to see the petition before it was submitted? Can you get a copy now and get second opinion as to whether they submitted a "good" case?
That was confusing for me also since it has also been the specialized knowledge that was the requirement and not the degree but he stated in his original post that it was apparently denied since the degree was not in his field of expertise.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:29 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

The question then becomes are they prepared to hold the post for you for x number of years? And are they prepared to send good money after bad?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Your work site was going to be your company's offices, not the offices of a client company?

Regards, JEff

I work for a large global American company, Business Systems Analyst for more than 7 years now. I hold a Science degree from Oxford Brookes University.

Was offered a new position (Business Analyst) within the company, relocation to Texas and all expenses paid.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by customsquestion
The question then becomes are they prepared to hold the post for you for x number of years? And are they prepared to send good money after bad?
We have dozens of posts every month due to high attrition rates! There is always an opening for a BA position. Big company.

Your work site was going to be your company's offices, not the offices of a client company?

Regards, JEff
Yes at the main office in Texas. (1200+ employees).
The road is named after the company!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

We have dozens of posts every month due to high attrition rates! There is always an opening for a BA position. Big company.

Dell?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:52 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

So maybe you can get a different post one more in line with the degree you hold ?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by customsquestion
So maybe you can get a different post one more in line with the degree you hold ?
Unfortunately they all fall under the Org 'Technology'.

Dell?
lol good guess but no.
hint: it's a Drive not road.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:54 pm
Banned

Unfortunately they all fall under the Org 'Technology'.

lol good guess but no.
hint: it's a Drive not road.
So if the degree and lack of relevant degree is the situation then there might be nothing you can do then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.