L-1B Visa Extension

Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:00 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Unhappy L-1B Visa Extension

We have just had our 3 year Visas renewed and have just received the paperwork saying that this has been completed and approved. HOWEVER, it also states in the covering letter from the Visa Attorney that the next time we depart the USA (e.g. go home to the UK), then we have to report to the American Embassy to be interviewed (again) and then leave our passports there until they have been processed with the new Visa extension.

Now this visit would have to be atleast one week due to the process involved..does this sound normal? If anyone has done it, how long did it take for the Embassy in the UK to process it?

I usually pop home every 3 or 4 months on my own, it looks like this means we will have to schedule a holiday to the UK all together, which we weren't planning to do as it's so expensive.

Any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks BE
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1B Visa Extension

Yes, this is what we've been told as well. All the time you remain in the US you are fine so long as you have the approval, but if you travel out (including Canada or Mexico) you need to get the new visa in your passport.

The waiting time for an appointment can also vary quite a bit I think, so it might need a bit of planning to make sure an appointment is available when you are planning to travel. I think you would want to make the appointment for the start of the appointment and allow a good few days for the passport to be returned.

I am not sure however whether you all need to go together - my hubby and I are both visa holders so I am assuming we could both do this separately whenever we go back to the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

I just have thoughts about queueing in the American Embassy...I think last time we were outside for about 2 hours (brrrrrr) and then a further 2-3 hours inside...thank god we are from London - it must be a nightmare for some Brits...

No, I probably need to be with him as I am an L2 with an EAD. Ah well, it's just that we are moving to San Francisco in June and weren't planning an expensive, cold visit to the UK as a family any time soon.....

Thanks for the reply...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

But you can do it in Canada or Mexico right? Both of which are considerably closer to SF than London!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:34 pm
joycey

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
But you can do it in Canada or Mexico right? Both of which are considerably closer to SF than London!
I would love to..anyone know if this is possible? Also what Cities are the US Embassies in?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at Tijuana since we are San Diego, but they are quoting 25 days to process the new visa and return the passport

Vancouver might be an option though if you are in San Fran - I think someone on here previously has done this.

This is the site you need for checking out the wait times at the various centres http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wa...itors_wait.php. I think you then need to confirm that they will process visas for non-nationals of their country.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:56 pm
joycey

Thanks for the link - We will be about 700 miles from Vancouver, so I suppose we could go there, be interviewed, put all the paperwork in and return to the US on our Driving Licences and wait to receive the passports back again in the post/courier?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Thanks for the link - We will be about 700 miles from Vancouver, so I suppose we could go there, be interviewed, put all the paperwork in and return to the US on our Driving Licences and wait to receive the passports back again in the post/courier?
Not any more. Since 31st Jan you have to have a passport for the US - Canadian border
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:09 pm
joycey

Sod it, do da, thingummy wotsit...the website says it currently has a 4 day turnround (Mon to Fri). I'm not sure if we would want to be in Vancouver for a whole week...I'll have to keep digging around...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also what Cities are the US Embassies in?
The US Embassy is in Ottawa... however, there are US consulates in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, and Halifax.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:38 pm
joycey

Thank you for responses.....We are talking about going back to London or a trip to Toronto from PA or Vancouver from CA. If anyone has actually done this, I would be pleased to hear about it...Joyce
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

One other thought - have you approached your husband's employer about paying some (all?) of the costs for the trip, since you have to do this to renew the visa?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:20 pm
joycey

You read my mind! My husband & I talked about this last night and he is going to ask whether his Company will help pay for some of the trip, my husband is an IT Instructor and if he can get a weeks worth of work in London, then that would be great - also gives a chance to go home to see family. Either that, or get a week in Toronto etc. as we can drive from here (PA) and they will pay vehicle expenses and our hotel. Ditto when we move to CA, he could try and get something in Vancouver for a week...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Either that, or get a week in Toronto etc. as we can drive from here (PA) and they will pay vehicle expenses and our hotel.
Dang, that is quite a drive!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:19 pm
joycey

Smile Re: L-1B Visa Extension

You're right it is quite a drive, but a good op for sightseeing and the company will pay for petrol, hotel etc. Airfares x 4 would be a nightmare right now! However, London is looking like a strong possibility at the moment, so a good chance for some grub and to see the family!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.