J1 visa best way to apply

Old May 17th 2019, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 visa best way to apply

Originally Posted by Boiler
J1's cover a wide variety of activities, for example some are sponsored by the US Government and they do not want people coming to the US under the pretext of learning to benefit their home country and then staying.

Hardly the case here.
so working for a hotel i shouldn't be subject to a 2 year return home period? As after a year would look to marry my girlfriend, if all goes well.
Old May 17th 2019, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
so working for a hotel i shouldn't be subject to a 2 year return home period? As after a year would look to marry my girlfriend, if all goes well.
I know people who use J1's for this purpose and of course not. A way of getting in reliable and relatively cheap labour.
Old May 17th 2019, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think your degree (American studies and film) and your current job are in line with your plans of training for hotel procurement; and that you are going to be able to find such an organisation to sponsor you for this training?

Have you researched whether there are any organisations providing sponsorship for a J-1 visa in this field?

At age 34 is this not going to be much more difficult task than if you were a newly graduated student with all the relevant qualifications or even someone who was already in this environment?

With the greatest of respect I don't think many companies/organisations take on 'trainees' at your age.

Can't help but feel this is going to be an uphill struggle ........
Old May 17th 2019, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody I know, Hotel, got two guys in from Easter Europe for the summer who must have been doing IT, they totally sorted out her booking system, result. And I assume they preferred it to cleaning rooms.
Old May 17th 2019, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Somebody I know, Hotel, got two guys in from Easter Europe for the summer who must have been doing IT, they totally sorted out her booking system, result. And I assume they preferred it to cleaning rooms.
Met many folks during the summer in US hotels who are here for exactly that - the summer; and they have usually been young adults from Europe/South America. Doing all sorts of jobs but most in waiting/reception type of jobs.

Training in hotel procurement is a totally different kettle of fish.