J1 visa best way to apply

Old May 16th 2019, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default J1 visa best way to apply

Hi I'm looking at applying for a J1 trainee internship with a hotel in orlando. I'm not sure how to go about it do you contact hotels or use one of the companies online to find a position. I'm 34 have a degree in American Studies and Film and have been working for the last 5 years for a company that installs and clears furniture in hotels. i'm looking to find a trainee internship in hotel procurement so doing similar to what i do now but on the hotel side. Would i qualify to do this seeing as i graduated 10 years ago. Also best course of action to apply for this?

Kind regards

Nikki
Old May 16th 2019, 10:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 visa best way to apply

https://app.box.com/s/uk1jn6kbcza66yinapngm05i69d8lc3q

https://j1visa.state.gov/wp-content/...quirements.pdf

These 2 links tell you all you need to know.
Old May 16th 2019, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Thanks. Where it states "repeat participation after 24 months residency outside U.S" does this mean just for this visa or being in the US in general. As i am hoping after completing this i would be potentially getting married to my American girlfriend after working in the US for a year.
Old May 16th 2019, 7:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The HHR applies to being in the US, at all. If the 2 year HHR applies to you you cannot adjust status. Period.

Basically in order to avoid it the program you choose cannot receive funding from any government source or international organization as I understand it.

https://internationalaffairs.uchicag...2e%20apply.pdf

Here's a good chart.

Last edited by civilservant; May 16th 2019 at 7:23 pm.
Old May 16th 2019, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
The HHR applies to being in the US, at all. If the 2 year HHR applies to you you cannot adjust status. Period.

Basically in order to avoid it the program you choose cannot receive funding from any government source or international organization as I understand it.

https://internationalaffairs.uchicag...2e%20apply.pdf

Here's a good chart.
wow thats confusing the UK isn't on the skills list. I don't understand the rest, I want to do a trainee position in a hotel. How do you know if its government funded etc?
Old May 16th 2019, 9:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
I want to do a trainee position in a hotel. How do you know if its government funded etc?
You could ask.

(Or you could just get married and save yourself a lot of hassle.)
Old May 16th 2019, 9:13 pm
Often not so civil...

What is your utimate goal? I agree if it is to get married and immigrate then you should just do that.

If the idea is to use the visa as a trial run prior to marriage, well, thats not really what it's for. Presumably you have been in the US before?
Old May 16th 2019, 9:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps contact the potential employer of the trainee program and see how they've done previous J-1 trainees.

I agree with the others, if your goal is to marry a USC and live in the USA together, just go straight for one of the 2 marriage visas.

Rene
Old May 16th 2019, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I've been wanting to work in the states for a long time and the relationship is still very new. So marriage would be at least a year away. not sure how long you have to be together for the US government accept spousal or marriage visas. i was looking into the cultural exchange program at disney but I have wrist tattoos and the british company won't interview anyone with tattoos!!

i guess i need to contact some companies and find out about whether its government funded. Is that British or us government funded or it doesn't matter? As wouldn't want to not be able to see my girlfriend and stop us getting married for over 2 years. Although what's that waiver you can apply for and does it usually work?
Old May 16th 2019, 11:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For the marriage based visas, the length of relationship is not a factor.

From what I've seen, the waiver to the HHR usually seems successful, but of course YMMV.

Rene
Old May 17th 2019, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

2Y HRR has nothing to do with working in a Hotel.

Presumably you are looking for the Winter season?
Old May 17th 2019, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For the marriage based visas, the length of relationship is not a factor.

From what I've seen, the waiver to the HHR usually seems successful, but of course YMMV.

Rene
Forgive my ignorance what is YMMV? She is still currently married to her wife but they are separated so she's looking into getting a divorce so will still be 6 months to a year before we could consider getting married.
Old May 17th 2019, 12:25 pm

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Rene
Old May 17th 2019, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
2Y HRR has nothing to do with working in a Hotel.

Presumably you are looking for the Winter season?
Yeah looking for a trainee position in an hotel in Orlando. Can be up to 12 months I think. So what does "2Y HRR have to do with?
Old May 17th 2019, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

J1's cover a wide variety of activities, for example some are sponsored by the US Government and they do not want people coming to the US under the pretext of learning to benefit their home country and then staying.

Hardly the case here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.