J1 Visa

Old May 12th 2011, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Kustberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Visa

First time poster, long time reader...

I am looking into using the J1 visa to gain work experience in the USA. Finally, after months of searching I have found a position through a family friend which I will be applying for.

For the J1 visa, obviously I am there to get work experience but does the position have to be classified as an "internship"? if i get the position, I will be working with a financial planner at Northwestern mutual and im hoping this matches the requirements for J1. It will relate to my university degree as I am getting a BSc in business this summer.

Also, final question. If I get offered the position, do I apply for a J1 via my embassy and bring the written job offer with me.

I have read the stickys etc but feel free to educate me if Im getting fundamental issues wrong.
Thanks everyone

Last edited by Kustberg; May 12th 2011 at 10:08 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 9:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Visa

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html
Old May 13th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Rearviewmirror is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kustberg
First time poster, long time reader...

I am looking into using the J1 visa to gain work experience in the USA. Finally, after months of searching I have found a position through a family friend which I will be applying for.

For the J1 visa, obviously I am there to get work experience but does the position have to be classified as an "internship"? if i get the position, I will be working with a financial planner at Northwestern mutual and im hoping this matches the requirements for J1. It will relate to my university degree as I am getting a BSc in business this summer.

Also, final question. If I get offered the position, do I apply for a J1 via my embassy and bring the written job offer with me.

I have read the stickys etc but feel free to educate me if Im getting fundamental issues wrong.
Thanks everyone
To get a J-1 visa you need a sponsoring organization - are Northwestern Mutual willing to sponsor you with a DS-2019?
Old May 13th 2011, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

From the research that I have done, I can get sponsorship via a 3rd party.
globalchoices.co.uk or interexchange.org who provides DS-2019. This seems like the best choice of action if I get a job offer or am I missing something important?
Old May 13th 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Rearviewmirror is an unknown quantity at this point

From the research that I have done, I can get sponsorship via a 3rd party.
globalchoices.co.uk or interexchange.org who provides DS-2019. This seems like the best choice of action if I get a job offer or am I missing something important?
You can get 3rd party sponsorship, it just might be pretty pricey.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like the best choice of action if I get a job offer or am I missing something important?
You are seriously missing something important! Here's a hint: do a search on said companies, then report back what you find.

Ian
Old May 13th 2011, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are seriously missing something important! Here's a hint: do a search on said companies, then report back what you find.

Ian
Ian, I am trying not to be rude but if you were to be more specific then perhaps I would be able to do a search and come back with an appropriate response. I do not mind learning by myself if I knew what I was to look for. Unfortunately I do not have the vast knowledge which you do, which is obviously why I am on these forums.
Regards
Old May 13th 2011, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying not to be rude...
It's okay, I don't mind. I'm rude all the time!

... but if you were to be more specific then perhaps I would be able to do a search and come back with an appropriate response.
Fair enough... research the reputations of said companies - and not just the happy, satisfied stories of those whose experiences they choose to post online. Dig a bit deeper!

Ian
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
research the reputations of said companies - and not just the happy, satisfied stories of those whose experiences they choose to post online. Dig a bit deeper!
Gotta say, globalchoices.co.uk instantly set alarm bells ringing for me. It doesn't really look legitimate at all. Many of these sites are scams. Not saying this one necessarily is, but just that I would do a lot of research before given them a pound of my money.

(This obviously directed at the OP and not Ian, who I get the feeling isn't exactly in the market for a J1)