B2 Difficulties?

Old May 30th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

peacelilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Difficulties?

Hi

I've noticed a few people saying that it's difficult to get a 6-month B2 tourist visa if you're from the UK (as we already have the VWP) .. is this true?

My situation is that my boyfriend went over to New York to work 6 months ago.. he's on an L1A, valid for 3 years. Although he's thinking of only staying there for another year, he'd like me to come over and stay for 6 months. I don't want to apply for a B2 and get rejected as this will be noted on the ESTA and might stop me from going over for future visits. Does anyone know what the best route would be visa-wise?

This is all in the planning stages at the moment, as I would also have to either give up my current job or ask for unpaid leave... also I've got property that I'd need to rent out so it will take a bit of organising.. just wondered what the best route would be or if anyone has a similar dilemma?
Old May 30th 2011, 8:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Difficulties?

That sounds like a good reason for a B2 to me but trying to convince the yanks that you're not planning to settle there as a couple can sometimes be tricky to get across.

If you can be honest though and show ties and have a clean history I don't see why they should refuse you.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelilly

I've noticed a few people saying that it's difficult to get a 6-month B2 tourist visa if you're from the UK (as we already have the VWP) .. is this true?
Yes.

You'd be applying as a co-habiting partner though, so as long as you've got evidence of his L1 visa and that he can financially support you without you needing to work, you have a fair chance of getting it.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go for 90 days ... thats long enough ..he will be at work all the time ..you will be so bored
Old May 31st 2011, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You'd be applying as a co-habiting partner though...
That'd be true only if they were living together prior to his going to the US. The OP doesn't say, so we don't know.

Ian
Old May 31st 2011, 4:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In making this assessment, it is appropriate to consider the applicant''s current circumstances and their prospects in their home country upon return, as well as the strength of their relationship with the "principal" alien and the "principal" alien''s own ties abroad. For example, an applicant who is part of a couple who have lived together for many years and who are both well-established with strong ties to their home country would normally be able to overcome 214(b). Conversely, a "partner" (boy/girlfriend) who only recently entered into a relationship with the principal and who has weak ties of his/her own may have greater difficulty demonstrating a residence abroad
Old May 31st 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's the spanner in the works! .. although going out for about 3 years, we didn't live together or hold any joint bank accounts or anything to 'prove' that we are a couple (apart from maybe holiday travel tickets.. ) .. but on the other hand he would be able to support me financially for the duration of stay.

I wondered whether it's still worth trying for the co-habiting visa.. some folks on here have said that they were not asked for any proof of living together in the UK. Although there are also contradictory stories from people saying they were asked to prove it. Maybe it's worth trying to apply on the off-chance they won't ask for proof? It all seems a bit hit-and-miss though! So difficult to know what to do!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:58 pm
Ray

I wondered whether it's still worth trying for the co-habiting visa.. !
thats fraud ..best not
Old May 31st 2011, 5:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In making this assessment, it is appropriate to consider the applicant''s current circumstances and their prospects in their home country upon return, as well as the strength of their relationship with the "principal" alien and the "principal" alien''s own ties abroad. For example, an applicant who is part of a couple who have lived together for many years and who are both well-established with strong ties to their home country would normally be able to overcome 214(b). Conversely, a "partner" (boy/girlfriend) who only recently entered into a relationship with the principal and who has weak ties of his/her own may have greater difficulty demonstrating a residence abroad
Please include the link to your source when you bring someone else's text over.
Fair use etc etc.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's the spanner in the works! .. although going out for about 3 years, we didn't live together or hold any joint bank accounts or anything to 'prove' that we are a couple (apart from maybe holiday travel tickets.. ) .. but on the other hand he would be able to support me financially for the duration of stay.

I wondered whether it's still worth trying for the co-habiting visa.. some folks on here have said that they were not asked for any proof of living together in the UK. Although there are also contradictory stories from people saying they were asked to prove it. Maybe it's worth trying to apply on the off-chance they won't ask for proof? It all seems a bit hit-and-miss though! So difficult to know what to do!
So you'd be willing to lie for it? The truth isn't in the proof, it's in the accumulation of all the evidence.

Not really that difficult at all, for me.
Old May 31st 2011, 5:21 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by meauxna
Please include the link to your source when you bring someone else's text over.
Fair use etc etc.
that only applies up to 10 years old ...that over
Old May 31st 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
The giveaway is that you've never written a sentence that long in your life on your own anyway. Don't fit in the form blocks, do they?

Please do it to set a good example then.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Actually, under the Berne Convention, copyright extends to the author for 50 years. The 10-year thing is an Internet myth.

Ian
Old May 31st 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

whoa!!! hold on guys! who said anything about lying or committing fraud? you seem to have jumped to the wrong conclusion there! .. I'm a law-abiding, honest UK citizen and have never even lied on my CV. I certainly wouldn't lie to get a US visa - sorry if I've given that impression... (besides, every American I've met when I've been on holiday there has always said they would rather swap places with me and live in London, so it can't be that great eh!) ..
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

... who said anything about lying or committing fraud?
You wrote, "I wondered whether it's still worth trying for the co-habiting visa...". Since you've never lived together, the only way to get the B-2 cohabiting visa is to lie to US immigration.

Please forgive us for jumping to the wrong conclusion! It's a nasty habit borne of many, many years of experience responding to people who spend more effort trying to get around the rules and regulations than they would if they just did things properly. Sometimes, there just isn't a visa to do what you want! Sad, but true!

At any rate, you have two choices... either use the VWP for short trips, or get married. Marriage will get you an L-2 visa, and you'll be able to apply for employment authorization and work. Well, actually there's a 3rd choice but you won't like it... get a new boyfriend!

Ian