IR-1 Visa

Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

sunfloweruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking IR-1 Visa

Well my husband's IR-1 visa was approved on the 17th of December. Visa arrived in the post last week. Now, for those of you that have already done this process what happens next besides moving to the US that is. My husband and I have been married for 10 years. Reading on the forums its says that my husband will be able to work with the stamp in the passport on entry into the US while waiting for the green card, is that right? Or, the consulate said you normally have to wait about a month for the green card to arrive and then start work. Are there more forms that we will need to complete once we have moved to the US?
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR-1 Visa

Originally Posted by sunfloweruk
Reading on the forums its says that my husband will be able to work with the stamp in the passport on entry into the US while waiting for the green card, is that right?
Correct.

Or, the consulate said you normally have to wait about a month for the green card to arrive and then start work.
They're wrong. He will become a PR the day he enters the US and can work from day one.

Are there more forms that we will need to complete once we have moved to the US?
No. His GC and SS card should arrive in the mail within a few weeks of entry to the US. Make sure you give the border officer your updated address.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there more forms that we will need to complete once we have moved to the US?
Only in about 3 years.......if he wants to take US citizenship.

Oh and if you move from the address that you put on the immigration paperwork as your address in the US, you need to fill in and send them form AR-11 (change of address form) - and you need to do this every time you move. They like to keep tabs on us immigrant folk, don't you know.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:03 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Oh and if you move from the address that you put on the immigration paperwork as your address in the US, you need to fill in and send them form AR-11 (change of address form) - and you need to do this every time you move. They like to keep tabs on us immigrant folk, don't you know.
And you can do that online now - print a copy off for your records though
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And, if applicable (ususally is) an I-865.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
if you move from the address that you put on the immigration paperwork as your address in the US, you need to fill in and send them form AR-11 (change of address form) - and you need to do this every time you move. They like to keep tabs on us immigrant folk, don't you know.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well my husband's IR-1 visa was approved on the 17th of December. Visa arrived in the post last week. Now, for those of you that have already done this process what happens next besides moving to the US that is. My husband and I have been married for 10 years. Reading on the forums its says that my husband will be able to work with the stamp in the passport on entry into the US while waiting for the green card, is that right? Or, the consulate said you normally have to wait about a month for the green card to arrive and then start work. Are there more forms that we will need to complete once we have moved to the US?
Your post kicked me into gear yesterday to complete this guide for arrival with an immigrant visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

I'm interested in the bold part of your post though; would you expand on what you were told?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably just nonesense from the [mis]information line.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

sunfloweruk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your post kicked me into gear yesterday to complete this guide for arrival with an immigrant visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

I'm interested in the bold part of your post though; would you expand on what you were told?
Hi,

Yes, my husband was told that once you arrive into the US that not all employers will accept your stamp to work that you had to wait for your green card to arrive which takes a few weeks.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes, my husband was told that once you arrive into the US that not all employers will accept your stamp to work that you had to wait for your green card to arrive which takes a few weeks.
Ah, OK. They may be (as often happens) working on outdated information.

Your husband will have a Machine Readable Immigrant Visa in his passport, a full passport page sticker that says clearly what it is. In the older days, the visa was attached to the document envelope and the immigrant got a rubber-stamp in their passport that didn't look particularly official (you still see them for extensions etc these days, but they are rarer).

Your husband's US employer is required to have him complete form I-9 Employment Eligibility within a few days of starting work. The Employer's Handbook has item #3 as "3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa (MRIV)" under the list of 'Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization'.

Should any employer quibble over this, your husband can post here for assistance explaining it to the employer. Form I-9 (and questions about his immigration status) should NOT even be a topic until he has been hired.
If he's got a job waiting for him, he can even be paid before receiving his Social Security card.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... not all employers will accept your stamp to work...
The employer, whether knowingly or not, opens himself up to a federal lawsuit were this true. By law, the employer can not choose which documents can be used to satisfy the I-9 requirements.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:34 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
And, if applicable (ususally is) an I-865.

Regards, JEff
ooooooooh thankyou for that! I filled out my AR-11 for me and the boys but we never did that I865 for hubby.... didn't even enter my mind!

Onto that right now