Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview this Thursday - Order of paperwork

Interview this Thursday - Order of paperwork

Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

sunfloweruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview this Thursday - Order of paperwork

Hi,

My husband has an interview scheduled on Thursday. Its for immediate relative visa. Can anyone that has had the interview please advise me on the order they ask for the paperwork. I have all the paperwork together in what I think is a good order! Also, they ask for copies. Do you present the original and copy all together or seperate? Just want to be prepared on the day. We are nervous enough as it is.

Thanks,
Karen
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview this Thursday - Order of paperwork

Originally Posted by sunfloweruk
Hi,

My husband has an interview scheduled on Thursday. Its for immediate relative visa. Can anyone that has had the interview please advise me on the order they ask for the paperwork. I have all the paperwork together in what I think is a good order! Also, they ask for copies. Do you present the original and copy all together or seperate? Just want to be prepared on the day. We are nervous enough as it is.

Thanks,
Karen
Hi,

This is the order in which they asked for my stuff:

*Appointment letter & copy
*Passport & copy
*Birth Certificate & copy
*Police Certificate & copy
*3 US spec passport photos (although I was only asked for 2)
*Affidavit of Support (I-134) & copy
*Supporting papers for I-134 e.g. employer’s letter, pay slips, etc
*Tax Transcripts for 2008, 2007, 2006
*Copy Tax Return 2008, 2007, 2006, with W2s.
*Updated notarised letter of intent from my fiancé

General rule is to copy everything then simply hand over what they ask for.

If you'd like to read about my experience then you can do so here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628668

Good luck and don't worry
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

This is the order in which they asked for my stuff:

*Appointment letter & copy
*Passport & copy
*Birth Certificate & copy
*Police Certificate & copy
*3 US spec passport photos (although I was only asked for 2)
*Affidavit of Support (I-134) & copy
*Supporting papers for I-134 e.g. employer’s letter, pay slips, etc
*Tax Transcripts for 2008, 2007, 2006
*Copy Tax Return 2008, 2007, 2006, with W2s.
*Updated notarised letter of intent from my fiancé

General rule is to copy everything then simply hand over what they ask for.

If you'd like to read about my experience then you can do so here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628668

Good luck and don't worry
Thanks - I have not done a letter of intent. Is that for me the US citizen to do or my husband who is British. What did you or your partner say in your intent letter? I have got offers for employment for myself, registered the kids in a school, moving quotes, a mobile phone contract in the US, bank acct etc.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunfloweruk
Thanks - I have not done a letter of intent. Is that for me the US citizen to do or my husband who is British. What did you or your partner say in your intent letter? I have got offers for employment for myself, registered the kids in a school, moving quotes, a mobile phone contract in the US, bank acct etc.
You can ignore that bit, the letter of intent (and the updated letters of intent) were in regard to fiance's applying for a K1 visa stating their intent to marry their fiance's.

I'm sorry, I didn't spot that you were applying for a spousal visa. Still should be pretty much the same order though. Someone will probably be along who's applied for the one your husband is and advise you further.

Tip: Have each document in a separate sheet / divider so that you're not fighting through piles of papers to find what they want when asked.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
You can ignore that bit, the letter of intent (and the updated letters of intent) were in regard to fiance's applying for a K1 visa stating their intent to marry their fiance's.

I'm sorry, I didn't spot that you were applying for a spousal visa. Still should be pretty much the same order though. Someone will probably be along who's applied for the one your husband is and advise you further.

Tip: Have each document in a separate sheet / divider so that you're not fighting through piles of papers to find what they want when asked.
Brilliant - cheers
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:59 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree about the copies. I also kept copies at home of everything we submitted. If they ask for a document at the interview and you don't have the copy they are entitled to keep the original.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:24 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I totally agree about the copies. I also kept copies at home of everything we submitted. If they ask for a document at the interview and you don't have the copy they are entitled to keep the original.
Yep, that's what we did. One set of originals and one set of copies at interview and another set of copies at home (which we took with us to the PoE when activating the visa).

Oddly enough, I think I screwed up some of the copies - did them with the paper at right angles to the original, so part got cut off, but it didn't seem to make any difference...
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep, that's what we did. One set of originals and one set of copies at interview and another set of copies at home (which we took with us to the PoE when activating the visa).

Oddly enough, I think I screwed up some of the copies - did them with the paper at right angles to the original, so part got cut off, but it didn't seem to make any difference...
I had copies of things all over the place...one set of originals for every interview, with a set of photocopies to go along with, plus a set of photocopies left at home. I did a lot of paper-shredding once Sadegh became a USC! Still saved a LOT of the paperwork, but shredded all those multiple copies of everything. LOL

Rene
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Rene,

Im doing the multiple copy bit, my printer ink use and single handed paper mountain will be some hamsters bed for years to come!