The Internet - getting it wrong

Old May 4th 2006, 2:10 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Internet - getting it wrong

Interested in your thoughts. I think the news web sites are making a major mistake... Here is my two cents.... What do you think?

CNN/Fox and now my local 11alive (Atlanta) news web sites insist on more and more, of putting stories up as video. There are two reasons the news sites are wrong:

1. I can't LISTEN to video at work. It's too obvious when you have to listen to sound
2. When I'm at home, I rarely want to listen to news on my computer.

Now I used to flick through 10 news stories quickly in 5 mins at work. Now, since most of the decent latest news is in video (to save news sites money), I don't bother.

Just me ?
Old May 4th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Internet - getting it wrong

Originally Posted by franc11s
Interested in your thoughts. I think the news web sites are making a major mistake... Here is my two cents.... What do you think?

Just me ?
Nope me too for the reasons you mentioned; also I don't give a fluck about the anchorperson's hair style.

It also consumes a lot of bandwidth which can be a PITA.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

CNN/Fox and now my local 11alive (Atlanta) news web sites insist on more and more, of putting stories up as video. There are two reasons the news sites are wrong:

1. I can't LISTEN to video at work. It's too obvious when you have to listen to sound

Now I used to flick through 10 news stories quickly in 5 mins at work. Now, since most of the decent latest news is in video (to save news sites money), I don't bother.

Just me ?
For me, it's more annoying to have pop ups with sound!

Have you looked at other news sites that don't use video as much for reporting their news?
Old May 4th 2006, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Just me ?
Are they replacing a regular article with the video?

It might be a way of forcing you to watch an ad before the content - presuming they showed you an ad?
Old May 4th 2006, 4:19 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

It's okay for me to view video at work plus I have headphones for audio work so I don't disturb anyone.

CNN are pretty good as they tend to provide a text article with the video.

I much prefer the video as it allows me to work while I listen. I'm typing this while watching a video on hurricane science
Old May 4th 2006, 6:08 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
It's okay for me to view video at work plus I have headphones for audio work so I don't disturb anyone.

CNN are pretty good as they tend to provide a text article with the video.

I much prefer the video as it allows me to work while I listen. I'm typing this while watching a video on hurricane science
2 Problems is 1. The video is 5 x slower than I can read and the other is that there is often no text now, just the video. they are losing out to BBC for me. BBC is quick (real fast on my PDA) and they report straight to the point.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:54 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Just me ?
I hear ya, and agree, simple solution, go to www.news.google.com, no pop-ups and no video!

Wild
Old May 4th 2006, 7:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

they are losing out to BBC for me. BBC is quick (real fast on my PDA) and they report straight to the point.
Yuck!!! BBC's video quality is so poor I can't watch it. Use a better format and I'd be more inclined to view them.
Old May 4th 2006, 7:32 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
I hear ya, and agree, simple solution, go to www.news.google.com, no pop-ups and no video!

Wild
I think its just news.google.com. It gives text headlines and you can add different sections, e.g. I have the US sections plus the UK, UK sports and UK entertainment sections. You can also add a keyword news section, which I have done for my home town in England, but you can add it for any keyword you want.