inquiry on appealing for AoS

Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: inquiry on appealing for AoS

Originally Posted by isual13
One more question, and I am curious; I've accrued a modest amount of credit card/loan debt during my stay in the US, and I've got a sizable credit line available for use, (less than 10,000USD).

If I do have to go home, knowing the possibility that I won't come back to the US, will my debt come haunting me back in my home country?

thanks for the response.
That would depend on which is your home country.

So you intend maxing out your CC and doing a runner?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

isual13 is an unknown quantity at this point

No. That would be wrong; It has crossed my mind though. I believe my country should not be within the GCC. So I should be fine -unless there are stipulations with other countries that I do not know of. I'm thinking of closing all my accounts, and just paying when I'm back home minimum payments.

I'd like to come back to the States, and really do not want to burn bridges should I have to leave.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No. That would be wrong; It has crossed my mind though. I believe my country should not be within the GCC. So I should be fine -unless there are stipulations with other countries that I do not know of. I'm thinking of closing all my accounts, and just paying when I'm back home minimum payments.

I'd like to come back to the States, and really do not want to burn bridges should I have to leave.
One thing you should find out is whether all this time you were waiting for your AOS to be adjudicated is considered an overstay, now that the AOS is denied.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Not really related:

OP is correct that most people knowing Section 13 will be in NYC [the UN] or D.C. That said, some of the "national" immigration firms have offices in both Bay Area and the East Coast. [Fragomen comes to mind].

When I was in practice here in Los Agneles, I dealt with section 13 exactly once. I had not done the adjustment on that one, but it was long pending when the old approved petition by the US citizen sister came "current." Although the Section 13 adjustment is not under regular section 245 adjustment, I convinced the local office to "convert" the pending adjustment rather than file a new I-485.

By the time we did that, three children had "aged-out" [no Child Status Protection Act back then], so they did not adjust with parents. Nonetheless, newly minted LPR parents filed I-130's. When the new I-130's came "current" upon naturalization of parents, we pulled the same stunt again. Fortunately, there was case law that following to join Section 13 adjustment was not limited by the standard age provisions and on top of that, the "children" could adjust as follow to join long after parent obtained LPR by other means!
Old Apr 7th 2012, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
One thing you should find out is whether all this time you were waiting for your AOS to be adjudicated is considered an overstay, now that the AOS is denied.

Rene
Thanks Rene, I'll have to remember that one.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Not really related:

OP is correct that most people knowing Section 13 will be in NYC [the UN] or D.C. That said, some of the "national" immigration firms have offices in both Bay Area and the East Coast. [Fragomen comes to mind].

When I was in practice here in Los Agneles, I dealt with section 13 exactly once. I had not done the adjustment on that one, but it was long pending when the old approved petition by the US citizen sister came "current." Although the Section 13 adjustment is not under regular section 245 adjustment, I convinced the local office to "convert" the pending adjustment rather than file a new I-485.

By the time we did that, three children had "aged-out" [no Child Status Protection Act back then], so they did not adjust with parents. Nonetheless, newly minted LPR parents filed I-130's. When the new I-130's came "current" upon naturalization of parents, we pulled the same stunt again. Fortunately, there was case law that following to join Section 13 adjustment was not limited by the standard age provisions and on top of that, the "children" could adjust as follow to join long after parent obtained LPR by other means!
Thanks for the reply. I'm talking with a lawyer, and he said it would be prudent to file a motion to consider, and THEN file for an appeal.

If we go for a motion to consider, do you have any idea how long before AAO would come to a decision? Months? a year or two? Been looking up online, forums and threads put it to 20-24 months, and a lawyer I asked via email said 6-8 months. Unfortunately, this is a section 13 case, so it could possibly be longer or shorter. Of course, I have to think minimally of time in this case, so the 6-8 months would be the realistic spot.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If we go for a motion to consider, do you have any idea how long before AAO would come to a decision? Months? a year or two?
I don't think anyone here will know the answer to your question, since no one here has had your experience. My guess - it will take as long as it takes.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2012, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't think anyone here will know the answer to your question, since no one here has had your experience. My guess - it will take as long as it takes.

Ian
thanks for the reply. I'll keep this thread updated.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Does an MTR get you an EAD?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Does an MTR get you an EAD?
No idea if filing for an MTR re-authorizes my EAD. What I do know now is, it is now revoked which puts me out of status (asked a couple of lawyers on this). Legally, I'm out of status, but when I do speak to the lawyer this week who can help me out seek possible avenues, we'll see. again, I'll keep this thread updated.

also, for anyone lurking, if you have any questions that I could possibly ask my lawyer that come to mind, please feel free to input them. I'm trying to brainstorm, peruse through forums and threads on questions about what I can do, what options I can take. Anything would be much appreciated.

Last edited by isual13; Apr 8th 2012 at 1:48 am.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea if filing for an MTR re-authorizes my EAD. What I do know now is, it is now revoked which puts me out of status (asked a couple of lawyers on this).
Just to be clear, it's not the EAD being revoked which puts you out of status. It's the AOS denial. A consequence of having AOS denied means that the EAD is no longer valid.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to be clear, it's not the EAD being revoked which puts you out of status. It's the AOS denial. A consequence of having AOS denied means that the EAD is no longer valid.

Rene
thnaks for the clarification, appreciate it. going to talk to a lawyer on Monday and Tuesday; question is, will our EAD be re-instated while we file for a motion to reconsider.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:25 am
Account Closed

thnaks for the clarification, appreciate it. going to talk to a lawyer on Monday and Tuesday; question is, will our EAD be re-instated while we file for a motion to reconsider.
The issue is more can you apply for one, not that it would be reinstated.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Update on my situation, currently going for a re-application, and will drop close to 4k.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:27 pm

Update on my situation, currently going for a re-application, and will drop close to 4k.
So not the motion to reconsider? You're doing a whole new AOS application?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.