Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Information on H-1B Administrative Processing

Information on H-1B Administrative Processing

Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Shahid1618 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on H-1B Administrative Processing

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck waiting for administrative processing to pan out, and I've been doing some research & analysis to find out WTH is going on and how long I can expect to wait. I collected the best information I could and wrote a post about it:

http://shahidhussain.com/me/h-1b-221...waiting-times/

A lot of you have way more experience than I do with this stuff - I'm just an applicant, not a solicitor - so, if you see anything here that you think needs changing, please let me know.

To everyone waiting for administrative processing ... good luck!

Shahid
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on H-1B Administrative Processing

Originally Posted by Shahid1618
... if you see anything here that you think needs changing, please let me know.
Since you ask...

First, regardless of what you've been told, your H-1B isn't approved until you clear AP. Second, the FBI is not the only agency involved in a background check. Third, we've had reports of AP taking up to 2 years... so 3 months is nothing! Fourth, the FBI portion of the background check is usually done within 2-3 weeks... and while other agencies may take a bit longer, the real problem is linking that information back to your case in a timely manner. Fifth, even after 90 days, there is "bugger all" you can do - for the US, it is a matter of national security, and there is nothing you can do *at any time* to find out where you are in the process or how much longer it'll take.

Ian
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you ask...

First, regardless of what you've been told, your H-1B isn't approved until you clear AP. Second, the FBI is not the only agency involved in a background check. Third, we've had reports of AP taking up to 2 years... so 3 months is nothing! Fourth, the FBI portion of the background check is usually done within 2-3 weeks... and while other agencies may take a bit longer, the real problem is linking that information back to your case in a timely manner. Fifth, even after 90 days, there is "bugger all" you can do - for the US, it is a matter of national security, and there is nothing you can do *at any time* to find out where you are in the process or how much longer it'll take.

Ian
Thanks for the notes Ian - I've made some changes based on your feedback.

So - if I understand you correctly, once my 90 days are over and I am able to contact the embassy, they still won't give me any information? Is that correct?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the notes Ian - I've made some changes based on your feedback.

So - if I understand you correctly, once my 90 days are over and I am able to contact the embassy, they still won't give me any information? Is that correct?
That is correct. They will tell you that your Admin Processing is still in progress.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That is correct. They will tell you that your Admin Processing is still in progress.

Rene
Thanks Rene, and - wow, that sucks.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

9/11 - changed the world. Changed how immigration works.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They can only tell you what they know. The security checks are done by outside services, so the embassy has no clue how far along your checks are at any given date. They will only know when they are all complete and they have the results in hand.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I'm now past the 90 day mark, still no joy. I did call the embassy just in case, but as you predicted, they had zero information. It's been suggested that I can call the state department directly to ask them, and that it's *possible* that I can get some information if I'm lucky.

Has anyone tried this? Any experience with it?

Shahid
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I'm now past the 90 day mark, still no joy. I did call the embassy just in case, but as you predicted, they had zero information. It's been suggested that I can call the state department directly to ask them, and that it's *possible* that I can get some information if I'm lucky.

Has anyone tried this? Any experience with it?

Shahid
Dept of State won't tell you anything either. They will say "in progress".

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's been suggested that I can call the state department directly to ask them, and that it's *possible* that I can get some information if I'm lucky.
This post tells you everything you need to know. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2. AP will take as long as it takes and there is nothing you can do about it. Full stop. End of story.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This post tells you everything you need to know. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2. AP will take as long as it takes and there is nothing you can do about it. Full stop. End of story.

Ian
@Ian - yeah, I read that, but as you can imagine it's a serious disruption being stuck outside the US for months on end, so you'll forgive me if I continue to knock my head against it.

@Rene - you were spot on. I did get to speak to an actual person who took my passport number to check, but same reply, still processing and there's no other information they have.

I'll update this thread if anything else happens.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

@Ian - yeah, I read that, but as you can imagine it's a serious disruption being stuck outside the US for months on end, so you'll forgive me if I continue to knock my head against it.

@Rene - you were spot on. I did get to speak to an actual person who took my passport number to check, but same reply, still processing and there's no other information they have.

I'll update this thread if anything else happens.
The longest delay I can remember was a Russian guy ..his AP took four years
he gave up after 3 years