Immigration from UK to the USA

Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration from UK to the USA

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you sure they are working in the US as cops? I know there are some ex UK police on here but the ones I'm thinking of came over because of their wives and they are not working.
The ones I was thinking about mostly moved to Edmonton and Calgary in Alberta, Canada. Some to British Columbia. I get the impression that most of the police force there are British.
I know one policeman who was hired by the Canadian police before he even left England.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
There is a lot of postings on here, BE, from policemen from the UK and going to Canada so you may want to check that out.
May also find that many provinces these days aren't accepting UK police as applicants if a TWP or PR is required
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No provinces in Canada are hiring at the moment, unless they are PR's or citizens of Canada. So it would be the same as the US for the OP, he'd need to find a way to get Canadian PR first, and then apply.

Things may change though, as historically a few Canadian police forces have hired directly from the UK, so if the OP is interested in Canada then he could keep an eye on things and see if that becomes an option in a year or two.

Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a degree to become a cop here. What you do need is a violent temper (preferably with a history of sadistic bullying and overreaction), a sociopathic ability to lie and cover-up, and the aptitude to cultivate an us-versus-them mentality.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You don't need a degree to become a cop here. What you do need is a violent temper (preferably with a history of sadistic bullying and overreaction), a sociopathic ability to lie and cover-up, and the aptitude to cultivate an us-versus-them mentality.
Much like Western Australia then.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:50 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marocco
I'm afraid it's not possible. Even if you were a US citizen, most police departments in the US require applicants to have a university degree.
Mmmm -I don't think so!
That's why you wouldn't qualify for a visa even if you could get a job as a US police officer based on your background of being one in the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:54 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
The ones I was thinking about mostly moved to Edmonton and Calgary in Alberta, Canada. Some to British Columbia. I get the impression that most of the police force there are British.
I know one policeman who was hired by the Canadian police before he even left England.
I worked with someone whose husband was a policeman and he did the same in Australia. She was a RN and was easily able to get her license and a visa once they got there. Wish it was a simple here in the US, but I wouldn't want to live in Australia!