British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Immigration from UK to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/immigration-uk-usa-747478/)

PainKiller Feb 5th 2012 2:21 am

Immigration from UK to the USA

Hi all,

Firstly I apologize for any improper sentence structure or bad grammar, I am typing this up on my mobile phone. So, here is the reason why I am posting.

I have always wanted to be a police officer, it is a pure passion inside of me that I intend to achieve. Basically no police forces in England are recruiting so I am going to college (I am 16) to study. I then hope to be able to apply to the police, however if the situation has not changed I will go to university to get a degree in psychology and train to be a clinical psychologist.

I would like to ask whether it would be possible to immigrate to the United States from a law enforcement background and after X amount of years gain US citizenship and become a LEO in the US?

Thank-you for your time and I look forward to your replies.

Noorah101 Feb 5th 2012 2:27 am

Re: Immigration from UK to the USA

Originally Posted by PainKiller (Post 9884967)
I would like to ask whether it would be possible to immigrate to the United States from a law enforcement background and after X amount of years gain US citizenship and become a LEO in the US?

Here is a thread you should read, plus click on the link inside this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Basically the law enforcement background won't be a huge help for immigrating to the USA. A US police force isn't going to hire you on from the UK. You'll likely need to either come to the USA on a student visa to do your degree and then hope to land a job in the USA aftwards (US Company to sponsor you), or find a job in the UK with offices in the USA and then after 1 year ask for a transfer.

Both of these methods *could* lead to US Permant Residency (i.e., you get a green card). If that happens, and you get your green card (company has to sponsor your green card in both scenarios), then after 5 years as a PR you can apply for US Citizenship.

Of course being physically in the USA, you might also meet the love of your life here, she might be a USC, and you might get married, which will also lead to a green card and citizenship.

Rene

Marocco Feb 5th 2012 2:33 am

Originally Posted by PainKiller (Post 9884967)

Thank-you for your time and I look forward to your replies.

I'm afraid it's not possible. Even if you were a US citizen, most police departments in the US require applicants to have a university degree.

PainKiller Feb 5th 2012 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9884981)
I'm afraid it's not possible. Even if you were a US citizen, most police departments in the US require applicants to have a university degree.

So it would not matter if I gained a university degree in the UK?

Also just to add I have seen documentaries involving a British guy who immigrated to the US and is now a police officer there. It must be possible, surely...

Noorah101 Feb 5th 2012 2:56 am

Originally Posted by PainKiller (Post 9884993)

A UK University degree might help you get a job in the USA, depending on what you study. But it probably won't help you get onto a US police force right away. US Police usually want the applicant to be a USC, or perhaps for certain work, at least a US PR.

Also just to add I have seen documentaries involving a British guy who immigrated to the US and is now a police officer there. It must be possible, surely...
He probably immigrated via some other method, and then once he was a USC, could apply and join the US police force.

Rene

lisa67 Feb 5th 2012 3:07 am

A lot of US Police depts. Will only take you if you are at least an LPR (Green card) and have a US degree in Criminal Justice. I know this because my son is about to go and study for a Criminal Justice degree as he wants to go into law enforcement.
OP, if you were to get a degree from the UK and then lucky enough to get offered a job with a work visa in the US you would then need to get a green card and then you'd be up against these students who have just come out of college where they have been studying US law enforcement.
IMO it's a long shot at best :fingerscrossed:

fatbrit Feb 5th 2012 3:12 am

You can immigrate to the US and, eventually, become a police officer, but you can't immigrate on the basis of being a police officer. The British guy must have originally gained residence by some means other than his policing skills.

PainKiller Feb 5th 2012 3:32 am

This is a hell of a lot of work, time , money and research. I think it would be best to go into what I want here in the UK then get in-touch with US immigration when I am older. Seems a million miles away to become a US citizen.

Noorah101 Feb 5th 2012 3:39 am

Originally Posted by PainKiller (Post 9885043)
This is a hell of a lot of work, time , money and research.

Yes, it is!

I think it would be best to go into what I want here in the UK then get in-touch with US immigration when I am older.
I agree. Do what you enjoy in life, wherever you live, and take an opportunity later on if something comes up.

Seems a million miles away to become a US citizen.
At this point in your young life, it is. But it can still be a long term goal for you to work towards. But that puts you back at the first comment (work, time, money, and research). :)

Rene

cheers Feb 5th 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9884981)

I don't think that is correct at all.

cheers Feb 5th 2012 4:14 am

There is a lot of postings on here, BE, from policemen from the UK and going to Canada so you may want to check that out.

Marocco Feb 5th 2012 4:22 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9885096)
I don't think that is correct at all.

http://www.legal-criminal-justice-sc...er-Career.html

Marocco Feb 5th 2012 4:24 am

I didn't say that. However, you may find that (even if you manage to immigrate through marriage, for example) that the requirements to become a law enforcement officer in the US are stricter than in the UK.

cheers Feb 5th 2012 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9885115)
I didn't say that. However, you may find that (even if you manage to immigrate through marriage, for example) that the requirements to become a law enforcement officer in the US are stricter than in the UK.

True even though I like the Dixon image I have of the British police.

Jerseygirl Feb 5th 2012 4:55 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9885099)
There is a lot of postings on here, BE, from policemen from the UK and going to Canada so you may want to check that out.

Are you sure they are working in the US as cops? I know there are some ex UK police on here but the ones I'm thinking of came over because of their wives and they are not working.