Immigration reform

Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration reform

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Theres very little taxes on minimum wage and they choose large catholic families. Along with extensive use of welfare programs and services, overcrowding emergency rooms, uninsured/underinsured drivers etc etc it all adds up.
They pay sales taxes. They create demand in the economy. They often subsidize Social Security and Medicare. Sure there are costs, but it's not as one-sided as you suggest.

They definately contribute to state bankrupcy IMO. And CA is proof.
Do you have something to back up this assertion?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
They pay sales taxes. They create demand in the economy. They often subsidize Social Security and Medicare. Sure there are costs, but it's not as one-sided as you suggest.

Do you have something to back up this assertion?
They create minimal demand and cost more than they contribute.

In hosting America's largest population of illegal immigrants, California bears a huge cost to provide basic human services for this fast growing, low-income segment of its population. A new study from the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) examines the costs of education, health care and incarceration of illegal aliens, and concludes that the costs to Californians is $10.5 billion per year.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigr...caillegals.htm
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

They create minimal demand and cost more than they contribute.

In hosting America's largest population of illegal immigrants, California bears a huge cost to provide basic human services for this fast growing, low-income segment of its population. A new study from the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) examines the costs of education, health care and incarceration of illegal aliens, and concludes that the costs to Californians is $10.5 billion per year.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigr...caillegals.htm
I see plenty about the costs of illegal immigrants, but nothing in there about the flip side of the equation.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I see plenty about the costs of illegal immigrants, but nothing in there about the flip side of the equation.
If you think the flip side outweighs the costs maybe you could find something to quantify the flip side of the equation and justify the cost?

At the end of the day if illegal immigrants were so beneficial then they wouldn't be illegal would they, they would be welcomed by the immigration system that America already has.

We need to stop illegal immigration and figure out a sensible and humane way of dealing with those already here.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Mar 27th 2013 at 11:25 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you think the flip side outweighs the costs maybe you could find something to quantify the flip side of the equation and justify the cost?
A number of cost-benefit studies linked in here. Not a bad discussion of costs and benefits earlier on on the page too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...nefit_analysis

At the end of the day if illegal immigrants were so beneficial then they wouldn't be illegal would they, they would be welcomed by the immigration system that America already has.
You are assuming that immigration policy is economically rational. It clearly isn't. Just look at the low numbers of visas issued per year fro skilled applicants, for example. Illegal immigrants are often little more than a convenient scapegoat for economic woes.

We need to stop illegal immigration and figure out a sensible and humane way of dealing with those already here.
I pretty much agree on this.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:11 am
Account Closed

A number of cost-benefit studies linked in here. Not a bad discussion of costs and benefits earlier on on the page too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...nefit_analysis

You are assuming that immigration policy is economically rational. It clearly isn't. Just look at the low numbers of visas issued per year fro skilled applicants, for example. Illegal immigrants are often little more than a convenient scapegoat for economic woes.

I pretty much agree on this.
I don't value Wikipedia as a credible source as do most American universities. But your source also claims "Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than $26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only $16 billion in taxes". An economic woe? Not as one sided as I think? Mmm

Yes I'm assuming immigration policy is somewhat rational, an assumption based on more than just visas issued. Are you suggesting America does not need an immigration policy and an open door policy or ignoring illegals is economically rational?

claiming that illegal immigrants are convenient scapegoats for economic woes? That's a diversion and poor attempt to simply sweep a problem under the rug. As I have said they are not the sole blame but they contribute towards the woes.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Mar 28th 2013 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't value Wikipedia as a credible source as do most American universities. But your source also claims "Households headed by illegal aliens imposed more than $26.3 billion in costs on the federal government in 2002 and paid only $16 billion in taxes". An economic woe? Not as one sided as I think? Mmm
That's why I specifically pointed to references in the wikipedia article.

As for your quote, it's odd that you missed out this:

The Center for Immigration Studies, an organization that advocates Immigration reduction in the United States, reported in 2004...
Maybe not exactly a neutral observer...

Yes I'm assuming immigration policy is somewhat rational, an assumption based on more than just visas issued. Are you suggesting America does not need an immigration policy and an open door policy or ignoring illegals is economically rational?
No, I'm suggesting that its currently immigration policies are irrational. They frequently discourage migrants who have the skills that would benefit the country and they largely turn a blind eye to illegal labour that many US companies rely on. Etc etc.

claiming that illegal immigrants are convenient scapegoats for economic woes? That's a diversion and poor attempt to simply sweep a problem under the rug. As I have said they are not the sole blame but they contribute towards the woes.
I hear it all the time. "Immigrants are taking our jobs away".

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/jus...ed-immigration

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...r-unemployment

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f...tember2010.pdf

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 28th 2013 at 4:08 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I specifically pointed to references in the wikipedia article.

As for your quote, it's odd that you missed out this:

Maybe not exactly a neutral observer...

No, I'm suggesting that its currently immigration policies are irrational. They frequently discourage migrants who have the skills that would benefit the country and they largely turn a blind eye to illegal labour that many US companies rely on. Etc etc.

I hear it all the time. "Immigrants are taking our jobs away".

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/jus...ed-immigration

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...r-unemployment

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f...tember2010.pdf
They are certainly having an impact of those earning lower wages.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for a laugh.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...der-fence.html

NOGALES, Ariz. -- The top Democratic and Republican Senate negotiators on forthcoming immigration-reform legislation toured the Arizona-Mexico border on Wednesday, watching as U.S. authorities apprehended a woman who had scaled a border fence and reiterating their commitment to strengthening security along the international line.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., are leading the ongoing bipartisan “Gang of Eight” talks that many hope will result in the introduction of a sweeping bill when the Senate returns to session after a two-week Easter break.

The two veteran lawmakers were joined on the tour, which included a helicopter ride, by two other Gang of Eight members: Sens. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Michael Bennet, D-Colo. The senators have been struggling to come to terms on big issues such as the future flow of foreign workers into the country, but the message from the quartet in southern Arizona was that the bill is moving forward.

Schumer, who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s immigration subcommittee, was making his first visit to the border and said his observations will make it easier for him to persuade colleagues about the need for additional border measures.

“What I learned today is we have adequate manpower but not adequate technology,” Schumer said at a noon news conference. “And John has been saying that all along.”

At one point during the border tour, the senators witnessed a woman scaling an 18-foot fence a few yards from the entourage. McCain tweeted about the incident, telling his Twitter audience that the Border Patrol took the woman into custody.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Good for a laugh.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...der-fence.html

At one point during the border tour, the senators witnessed a woman scaling an 18-foot fence a few yards from the entourage. McCain tweeted about the incident, telling his Twitter audience that the Border Patrol took the woman into custody.
The cynic in me suggests that was rather convenient (and a poor choice of climbing location). Now the question is whether she was a local actor or was it some Mexican actor taking the job of a local actor?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

The immigration issue has never been a financial/economic issue, it has always been a racial issue. In the 19th Century we attacked the Irish as vermin and up till recently we saw Asians as subhuman. In the 1920s and 1930s we debated whether the Philippines should be incorporated to the United States as a territory and we said NO they are racially different.

I am against illegal immigration, I agree with you. My disagreement with you is based on your deeply held belief that this is a financial issue. Based on your statement:

Theres very little taxes on minimum or low wages and they choose large catholic families.
The problem is “catholic families.” Right? I am surprised you did not say “Muslim” families.

They definately contribute to state bankrupcy IMO. And CA is proof. .
CA is not bankrupt, CA is the 8th largest economy in the world, Arizona just sells homes and cheep services to old people from Chicago, Indiana and Ohio. That is the same area of our country where the KKK has the strongest presence, in fact I believe that the current Grand Dragon was born and lives in Indiana.

I disagree about Arizona being an old peoples state. Its growth in recent years, with transplants arriving from all over, now make it the sixth most populous city in the United States of America. Everyone that moved here is not old, lol.
Phoenix – where I lived for the past five years – was the fifth largest city in the country until Russell solved that little problem to make it the sixth one. As for old and young it is all relative.

For a 20 year old a 40 something is old, for an 80 year old a 55 year old is a youngster.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KCK_DR

The problem is “catholic families.” Right? I am surprised you did not say “Muslim” families.

No, i'm saying the Mexican immigrants tend to be catholic with large familes.
I'm calling a spade a spade. I have not heard of any issues with illegal immigrants that tend to be of a Muslim faith so I'm surprised you're surprised.

There are plenty of legal catholic and morman familes that pay their way and are not a drain on welfare and other social programs.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

So are you saying the problem is illegal immigration from Mexico and not from Europe or Asia?
It is my understanding that more than half the illegal immigrants are not from Latin America, in fact they came here with visitor visas or on the VWP and overstayed. They did not jump the fence.
I'm calling a spade a spade. I have not heard of any issues with illegal immigrants that tend to be of a Muslim faith so I'm surprised you're surprised.
I will also call a spade a spade, only until recently Irish, Italian, Polish and Austrian Americans were treated badly because they were Catholic with big families.
There are plenty of legal catholic and morman familes that pay their way and are not a drain on welfare and other social programs.
I agree with you, people need to pay their way in life, so no more subsidies for Walmart and small mom and pap businesses. The services you pay are undervalued because my taxes subsidize your shopping and your food. If an employer is caught employing an illegal – I believe – they should be charged with a felony and put in prison for 5 years and their property is confiscated to the last dollar also if one of their employees has not enough to live on then the government charges them for their food and healthcare.
As for the who pays for whom right now it works as such: You paid for someone else, I am paying for you now, my children will pay for me later.
No more socialist programs like Medicare or Social Security. If you paid before and are receiving now – too bad you are out of your money. Go get a job, I don’t care if you can or not. It that what you are saying?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm calling a spade a spade.
Fertility rate is 2.4 for US hispanics as compared to 1.9 overall. Sure, it's higher, but 2.4 children is hardly a large family.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Data...opulation.aspx

Mexico's fertility rate is actually even lower - 2.1.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 28th 2013 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The fix is very easy.

Fine each employer a million bucks for each illegal employee and the problem goes away over night.

Then you'd probably end up with $3 a tomato and a $10 big mac.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.