Immigration Fraud: marriage

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 8:21 pm
JD

I have the following question. I am an American citizen who was married to an Chinese
citizen. We had known each other for 5 years prior to this. I had felt that the
marriage was in good faith and had completed all the paperwork for her to come here.
We resided together for one year at which point she left for her own place. I still
felt the marriage could work so accepted things as they were. When the time came to
submit I-751 I signed the papers attesting that we had cohabited for two years. Also
the question about being arrested was checked as no, though she had a DUI ( probation
before judgement). As I said I had done all this in good faith. Within three months
of submitting I-751 she applied for divorce. The divorce papers clearly state that we
had been seperated for one year. Now I am not sure if the marriage was in good faith
on her side. My question is (and I will be talking to an immigration lawyer) I want
to let INS know that I signed the papers in good faith because I wanted the marriage
to work out. What are the possible outcomes. I am just trying to minimize my
liabilites because of the incorrect information given on I-751. I would rather be
honest and suffer the consequences than to keep lying.

Old Jul 4th 2001, 6:19 pm
René

>
    >
    >

Well, duh Sorry about your bad luck, but you might have been a wee bit naive. You
can charge the phone call to the INS on my phone bill

Old Jul 5th 2001, 3:03 pm
WTJ

Gee buddy, We really don't need another drunk on U.S. streets. Do your country a
favor and help keep this witch in China!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 7th 2001, 5:46 pm
James Donovan

[email protected] (JD)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Mistake #1. DONT Lie to the INS.

>
    >

If the I-751 has been adjudicated and she has her green card already it may
be too late.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You risk a $250,000 fine or 5 years in prison. She risks deportation. One or both may
happen. It's entirely up to the INS. You may get away scott free but on the other
hand you could end up in the slammer. She will certainly get deported.