IMMIGRANT VISA

Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation IMMIGRANT VISA

Hello Folks,

I've got IMMIGRANT VISA but I dont understand a condition - " UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR "

That means I will be a permanent residence after a year ? PLs let me know if you anyone have idea about it .

What the process at POE and how do I need to apply for Security number ?

How do I need to wait to get US Citizenship ?

Hope to hear from you soon ...
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:01 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMMIGRANT VISA

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
Hello Folks,

I've got IMMIGRANT VISA but I dont understand a condition - " UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR "

That means I will be a permanent residence after a year ? PLs let me know if you anyone have idea about it .
Once you enter the US on your immigrant visa, you automatically become a permanent resident. However, it will take some time for your physical green card to be mailed to you. While you're waiting to get your green card, your visa will serve as temporary proof of your permanent resident status, for up to one year. It shouldn't take a year for you to get your green card, but this temporary proof will cover you in case it takes a long time.

What the process at POE and how do I need to apply for Security number ?
I haven't been through this process so I will leave others to answer these questions. Be sure to search earlier posts because people have discussed these issues already.

Are you asking how LONG do you need to wait to get US citizenship? Assuming you're obtaining your LPR status based on marriage to a US citizen, you have to wait 3 years. Is your spouse in the US military? That might shorten the wait time also, but I'm not sure.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMMIGRANT VISA

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
That means I will be a permanent residence after a year ?
No. It means that you will *immediately* become a permanent resident, and the stamp is proof of that. The stamp is valid for one year and your actual green card should arrive a few weeks later. Even if the stamp expires, your status as a PR does not expire.

What the process at POE...
At the POE, you will hand them your passport with the visa and the *UNOPENED* package you get from the US Consulate. The officer will validate your visa and you will, in that moment, become a PR.

... how do I need to apply for Security number ?
About 10 days after you enter the US, you go to any SSA office and fill out form SS-5.

You can apply to become a USC 5 years after you become a PR... or 3 years if you are married to a US citizen.

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: IMMIGRANT VISA

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;8177185]No. It means that you will *immediately* become a permanent resident, and the stamp is proof of that. The stamp is valid for one year and your actual green card should arrive a few weeks later. Even if the stamp expires, your status as a PR does not expire.

At the POE, you will hand them your passport with the visa and the *UNOPENED* package you get from the US Consulate. The officer will validate your visa and you will, in that moment, become a PR.

About 10 days after you enter the US, you go to any SSA office and fill out form SS-5.

You can apply to become a USC 5 years after you become a PR... or 3 years if you are married to a US citizen.

Yes, I've married to US citizen.

THank you very much for your suggestion and advise.