I864 with no tax records

Old May 6th 2007, 11:21 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Question I864 with no tax records

Hi,

My wife (US citizen) and I (UK citizen, F1 visa) are in the process of filling in all the forms for LPR through marriage and we have come to a sticking point with the I864. Basically, my wife has not filed for taxes for the last couple of years and has been working under the table. Now she is prepared to actually pay the back tax, but the problem she is not sure if she is able to get accurate information for the W2 and various other forms. Also, her mother is prepared to act as a joint sponsor and does have complete records for the last three years, and can meet the minimum income requirements.

So does anyone know how to approach this? Can we file the I864 without my wife's W2 if we have her mother's information? Is a W2 enough if the information may not be 100% accurate, or is supporting evidence required (bank statements etc)? Are there any other options available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I864 with no tax records

Originally Posted by zargof
So does anyone know how to approach this? Can we file the I864 without my wife's W2 if we have her mother's information? Is a W2 enough if the information may not be 100% accurate, or is supporting evidence required (bank statements etc)? Are there any other options available?
Your wife, as your sponsor (whether she earns enough income right now or not), will need to provide last year's tax return and W-2's to support the income. If the amount on the W-2 is less than she claimed she earned on her taxes, she can write a statement that she also received payment in cash. She will need *current* proof of income as well...letter from employer and pay stubs.

If her mother is joint sponsor, it doesn't really change anything in the requirements that your wife has to provide. From your wife's I-864, they will see her earnings are not enough, and that is why her mother is joint sponsor.

Best Wishes,
Rene