I think I'm stuffed

Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default I think I'm stuffed

Ok, I was born in the UK, moved to Australia when 28 (and subsequently became an Australian citizen, so have dual nationality, British and Australian) and currently live in France. I have no degree, just an HNC Electrical Engineering, but have not worked in that field since 1993.

I am in a relationship with a woman in New Jersey and would like to move out to the US, perhaps temporarily to see if we are totally right for each other.

We are both just starting divorce proceedings from our previous partners and expect that all to be complete by the end of the year.

In fact, I am actually writing this first post from her front room in NJ. Have been here just over a month and return to France Sunday

I would like to be here for her during her divorce as she is very stressed and I want to help her in any way I can. I don't know what the future holds for us regarding marriage or anything like that, just taking things one step at a time and see what happens.

So, any advice would be gratefully appreciated, or are my options severely limited to perhaps just 3 month stays on holiday visas?

Oh btw, my 8th cousin removed was JFK, if that has any weight
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I'm stuffed

date each other on visitors visas, see how you get on, and if its right for you you can get married, once married you can live together in either country you are allowed to reside in. the main thing is your relationship, the other things will follow.

thats what happened to me.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
Ok, I was born in the UK, moved to Australia when 28 (and subsequently became an Australian citizen, so have dual nationality, British and Australian) and currently live in France. I have no degree, just an HNC Electrical Engineering, but have not worked in that field since 1993.

I am in a relationship with a woman in New Jersey and would like to move out to the US, perhaps temporarily to see if we are totally right for each other.

We are both just starting divorce proceedings from our previous partners and expect that all to be complete by the end of the year.

In fact, I am actually writing this first post from her front room in NJ. Have been here just over a month and return to France Sunday

I would like to be here for her during her divorce as she is very stressed and I want to help her in any way I can. I don't know what the future holds for us regarding marriage or anything like that, just taking things one step at a time and see what happens.

So, any advice would be gratefully appreciated, or are my options severely limited to perhaps just 3 month stays on holiday visas?

Oh btw, my 8th cousin removed was JFK, if that has any weight
A fairly famous Englishman was represented by Leon Wildes and eventually obtained his green card despite this early adverse decision. Who knows what a legal consultation might bring up? No advice intended nor given.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by bugman
date each other on visitors visas, see how you get on, and if its right for you you can get married, once married you can live together in either country you are allowed to reside in. the main thing is your relationship, the other things will follow.

thats what happened to me.
Yeah, I thought that might be the answer.

Just have to get her to totally fall in love with me then. Shouldn't be hard

Marriage was the only way I could get into Australia too. It too had ridiculous emigration rules.

Wish I could just swap my Australian citizenship for a green card.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could just swap my Australian citizenship for a green card.
Australian citizens have a visa available uniquely to them called E-3.
Your Oz citz might be more useful than you think.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Australian citizens have a visa available uniquely to them called E-3.
Your Oz citz might be more useful than you think.
Just checked that too. Once again, I need a degree minimum. I got all excited as well.

The marriage one looks a piece of cake (done it all before), but how my girlfriend will feel about marriage after her divorce remains to be seen, looks like it will get ugly.

One step at a time I guess.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked that too. Once again, I need a degree minimum. I got all excited as well.

The marriage one looks a piece of cake (done it all before), but how my girlfriend will feel about marriage after her divorce remains to be seen, looks like it will get ugly.

One step at a time I guess.
Well, there are other options as well; please check out the pinned thread linking to Pulaski's Ways (and/or tell us what sort of work you do).
The degree thing can be worked with too.

You may benefit from a consultation with a lawyer to look at the various options.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Well, there are other options as well; please check out the pinned thread linking to Pulaski's Ways (and/or tell us what sort of work you do).
The degree thing can be worked with too.

You may benefit from a consultation with a lawyer to look at the various options.
Workwise, I guess I've been a bit of a free spirit (never intentional, just the way life has gone for me).

I was a production buyer at a diamond tooling factory before leaving the UK for Australia.

Then in Australia was a graphic designer for a tool import company designing catalogues, brochures etc.

Then my ex and I restored an old pioneer home and opened it up as a museum/restaurant for 3 years before she got sick and we moved to France for a rest! Haven't worked in nearly 5 years.

I did have a look at Pulaski's Ways, but apart from marriage, couldn't see any other obvious way of getting in.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a look at Pulaski's Ways, but apart from marriage, couldn't see any other obvious way of getting in.
Did you look at this one? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
duplicate post

Last edited by blargins; Mar 5th 2010 at 6:06 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

duplicate post

Last edited by blargins; Mar 5th 2010 at 6:06 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure what's happening here, I've replied to this twice now, the post appears, then disappears.

Ok... try again

Are you married to or considering marrying a US citizen, a US permanent resident, or someone on a non-immigrant visa??

Perhaps in the future, she would be me sole reason for moving to the US.

Are you an Australian citizen?

Fair dinkum mate, sure am.

Do you have connections with a member of Congress?

Only 8th cousin removed of JFK

Not much to go on, the rest I answered no to. Think the holiday visa route would be the best way to go I think and then see what the future holds.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:02 pm

Not sure what's happening here, I've replied to this twice now, the post appears, then disappears.
It's because you had a link quoted in the post.
approved now.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:03 pm

The other option you haven't touched on is her living with you outside the US for a period of time.
My now-husband and I did this.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

The other option you haven't touched on is her living with you outside the US for a period of time.
My now-husband and I did this.
That can't be an option because she also has kids plus a job here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.