I just want a summer job...

Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

funkyfrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I just want a summer job...

Hi, just a last resort to see if anyone can help...
I spent 4 months at San Diego State University last year on an exchange and once I graduate this summer really hoped to go back and work for a year.
I have discovered that finding a job in a company that will sponsor you is not so easy. I then came up with the idea of just working in a bar/ waitressing for a few months in San Diego... but in order to apply for a working visa do I have to find a bar job first? I don't quite know how I'd go about doing that...
I basically just want an extended meaningless summer job but it seems so difficult.. does anyone know? thank you! x
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just want a summer job...

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. See the link below

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

google camp america and see if they have any scheme that could work for you.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

Or Bunac: http://www.bunac.org/
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

funkyfrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checked the link that Marocco sent, think I might look at the TN visa route as I have canadian citizenship.
They do make it difficult! Thank you x
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funkyfrey
Just checked the link that Marocco sent, think I might look at the TN visa route as I have canadian citizenship.
They do make it difficult! Thank you x
I don't think you can use a TN visa for a bar/waitressing job. See here.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia might be a better bet, had a friend who did that.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

They do a ton of J1 visas for this sort of work in Ocean City MD. They are always filled with East Europeans over the Summer working in boring jobs and hanging out.

http://blog.atbeach.com/?p=123

and here

http://atbinternetgroup.com/studentguide/
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Do BUNACs work America, you are eligible and would give you a visa to do exactly what you want to do, no need to have a job to get the visa and can go anywhere. Once that's up though you go home and are back in the same place you are now, except you can't do it again unless you go back to university.