I a bind, need advice

Old Jun 24th 2002, 3:20 am
Johnnyk

Default I a bind, need advice

I got married in May to a USC. We had been living together for almost 5 years and
have a 12 year old daughter. I have been Out of Status for 11 years.

6 years ago I started working for a company using my daughters SSN. Not the smart
thing to do, but to late for that. I never had to show my card, they just took my
word for the number. I have been paying taxes etc.. on that number since I started,
but I have not filed my 1040 or anything.

Well, now that we have gotten married, we have decided to file all for an AOS and EA
etc. We have all the paperwork ready to go. But now heres the problem.

In several places is asks about current employment, previous employment, SSN ever
used etc... What do I do? If I tell them I have been using her number will that
get me in trouble and my papers denied? Or being married to a USC, will that
"forgive" that?

Also, will the company, which I am still working for, get in trouble? When I file, I
will resigned my post at the company, but I have talked to my boss and he told me I
could come back as long as I'm not gone more than 6 months. I did not tell him why
I'm resigning.

I do not want to lie on my application, but need to know if anyone can tell me what
kind of trouble this will be.

Thanks.

Old Jun 24th 2002, 3:20 am
Lord Hamster

Default Re: I a bind, need advice

As far as the overstay goes. I believe that you may be able to get that portion
"forgiven" due to your marriage to USC. However, the SSN number issue might be
a problem.

"JohnnyK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I got married in May to a USC. We had been living together for almost 5 years and
    > have a 12 year old daughter. I have been Out of Status for 11 years.
    >
    > 6 years ago I started working for a company using my daughters SSN. Not
the
    > smart thing to do, but to late for that. I never had to show my card,
they
    > just took my word for the number. I have been paying taxes etc.. on that number
    > since I started, but I have not filed my 1040 or anything.
    >
    > Well, now that we have gotten married, we have decided to file all for an AOS and
    > EA etc. We have all the paperwork ready to go. But now heres the problem.
    >
    > In several places is asks about current employment, previous employment,
SSN
    > ever used etc... What do I do? If I tell them I have been using her
number
    > will that get me in trouble and my papers denied? Or being married to a USC, will
    > that "forgive" that?
    >
    > Also, will the company, which I am still working for, get in trouble?
When
    > I file, I will resigned my post at the company, but I have talked to my
boss
    > and he told me I could come back as long as I'm not gone more than 6
months.
    > I did not tell him why I'm resigning.
    >
    > I do not want to lie on my application, but need to know if anyone can
tell
    > me what kind of trouble this will be.
    >
    > Thanks.

Old Jun 24th 2002, 6:21 am
Steve

Wow, you better go to an attorney. Using someone else's SS# is fraud. Sorry, I am
sure not what you wanted to hear. You probably want the attorney to contact IRS and
SS to keep you out of trouble...You will need to file tax returns...just having tax
withheld does not mean you have "paid taxes". You could also have INS trouble since
it may look like you were avoiding Immigration laws also. And as a former business
owner/employer, yes they (your emplyer) may be in trouble since they are supposed
to check your SS card, as well as have you fill out an I-9 to very that YOU are
legally able to work here. That means they are supposed to verify all the documents
you provide.

It is never a good idea to try to take the easy way. Good luck.

"JohnnyK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I got married in May to a USC. We had been living together for almost 5 years and
    >
    > 6 years ago I started working for a company using my daughters SSN. Not
the
    > smart thing to do, but to late for that. I never had to show my card,
they
    > just took my word for the number. I have been paying taxes etc.. on that number
    > since I started, but I have not filed my 1040 or anything.
    >
    > Well, now that we have gotten married, we have decided to file all for an AOS and
    >
    > In several places is asks about current employment, previous employment,
SSN
    > ever used etc... What do I do? If I tell them I have been using her
number
    > will that get me in trouble and my papers denied? Or being married to a USC, will
    > that "forgive" that?
    >
    > Also, will the company, which I am still working for, get in trouble?
When
    > I file, I will resigned my post at the company, but I have talked to my
boss
    > and he told me I could come back as long as I'm not gone more than 6
months.
    > I did not tell him why I'm resigning.
    >
    > I do not want to lie on my application, but need to know if anyone can
tell
    > me what kind of trouble this will be.
    >
    > Thanks.

Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:20 am
Maarten W.G. An

You are probably hoping for good news, but there is none.... Using someone elses SSN
is concidered "identity theft" and could get you in jail for many years.

I found this on the web, and it is very discouraging. You should contact a lawyer
immediatly before concidering filing for AOS.

-- "In October 1998, President Bill Clinton signed the Identity Theft and Assumption
Deference Act of 1998. This act makes it a felony to use or transfer the identity
(including the SSN) of another person. Last year, the act was used to successfully
prosecute a Wisconsin man for stealing the identity of a Chicago man (he used the
man's SSN to get a job that enabled him to steal computer equipment and open bank
accounts and file income taxes in the victim's name). He pled guilty and faces a
maximum penalty of 15 years in jail (followed by three years of probation) and a fine
of up to $250,000." --

Now, you probably did not steal the computer equipment mentioned, but using someone
elses SSN to get a job, pay taxes in that name (and perhaps even bank accounts) is a
bad bad crime. Bad enough for jail time I am afraid....Please talk to an attorny
before you proceed. I do not know whether you being married to a USC makes any
difference, but I think it does not matter. Tell this attorny the truth, and maybe he
can do something for you.....

Do not LIE on applications, it will make things only worse. Further, you could have
seriously jepordized the future of your child, as her SSN was messed with. If she
hasn't got any part-time jobs I would concider (do not know if you can) to change her
SSN so she has a clean sheet.

Either way, talk to an attorny. Fast.

Maarten

Old Jun 24th 2002, 9:53 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to ya cause I think your gonna need all the luck you can get.

Never ever use anyone elses SSN no matter what the reason is cause down the road it will come back & bite ya on the butt & I think it's gonna be biting you big time. Sorry to say that.
Old Jun 24th 2002, 5:20 pm
Jjoe

Hello Johnny,

You need an attorney. Your case may turn to be very complicated. Just get a good
attorney and tell him/her everything. He/she will know how to get you out of
this mess.

There had been cases where people who used someone else's SSN have been granted GC
without a problem. You have to have a GOOD CAUSE why you did what you did.

Get an attorney! and good luck!

joe

JohnnyK wrote:

>
    > 6 years ago I started working for a company using my daughters SSN. Not the smart
    > thing to do, but to late for that. I never had to show my card, they just took my
    > word for the number. I have been paying taxes etc.. on that number since I started,
    > but I have not filed my 1040 or anything.
    >
    >
    > In several places is asks about current employment, previous employment, SSN ever
    > used etc... What do I do? If I tell them I have been using her number will that
    > get me in trouble and my papers denied? Or being married to a USC, will that
    > "forgive" that?
    >
    > Also, will the company, which I am still working for, get in trouble? When I file,
    > I will resigned my post at the company, but I have talked to my boss and he told me
    > I could come back as long as I'm not gone more than 6 months. I did not tell him
    > why I'm resigning.
    >
    > I do not want to lie on my application, but need to know if anyone can tell me what
    > kind of trouble this will be.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >