Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS on July 9th....need advice! (Long, sorry) ;-}

AOS on July 9th....need advice! (Long, sorry) ;-}

Old Jun 24th 2002, 5:20 am
Oscar Team

Default AOS on July 9th....need advice! (Long, sorry) ;-}

Hello,

Our interview for my husband's AOS is on July 9th.....he has only been here 11 mos.
so we weren't expecting it so soon and are not AT ALL prepared. There are a few
things I am concerned about:
1) When we married and filed his AOS, I had a very good job, insurance, etc. I lost
my job in March and am now on unemployment. My husband is employed ful-time. I am
his sponsor. How is this going to affect our interview?

2) We have realized as we gather stuff for the interview, we have very few pics of
US together. Most pics of I have taken of him, or vice versa. We even forgot to
get the camera out on Christmas morning when his parents and my children were all
here!! Our marriage ceremony was just he and I and a judge, and then we went and
had a professional portrait taken afterwards. So, no fancy wedding pictures to
share. Other than that, we have very few. I guess we could snap a few more, but
that seems dishonest to me. We are pretty much home bodies, don't socialize much
and haven't had many "events" in our 11 mos. that warranted a lot of pictures.
Aside from the fact that I run from the camera every chance I get. (We use a
digital camera and I am in the habit of simply deleting any pics when someone
does sneak one of me.) My question is: Will they hold this against us? We have
pleanty of "proof of a shared life". We have our lease, our joint bank account, a
car in our names, auto insurance, etc. (If this is REALLY important, then I guess
we will spend next weekend changing in and out of a lot of clothes and snapping
lots of pictures!)

3) We may not have enough time to get his medical done. We need to obtain his
immunization records from England BEFORE getting the actual medical. Otherwise,
the "INS Approved Surgeons" want $350 for new shots and all the other medical
stuff. It's an expense we simply can not incur right now. What will happen if his
medical results are not back in time for the July 9th appointment?

Anyone who can advice, we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Andria & Nigel

Old Jun 24th 2002, 6:20 pm
Kathie

Default Re: AOS on July 9th....need advice! (Long, sorry) ;-}

> 2) We have realized as we gather stuff for the interview, we have very few pics of
    > US together. Most pics of I have taken of him, or vice versa. We even forgot to
    > get the camera out on Christmas morning when his parents and my children were
    > all here!! Our marriage ceremony was just he and I and a judge, and then we
    > went and had a professional portrait taken afterwards. So, no fancy wedding
    > pictures to share. Other than that, we have very few. I guess we could snap a
    > few more, but that seems dishonest to me. We are pretty much home bodies, don't
    > socialize much and haven't had many "events" in our 11 mos. that warranted a
    > lot of pictures. Aside from the fact that I run from the camera every chance I
    > get. (We use a digital camera and I am in the habit of simply deleting any pics
    > when someone does sneak one of me.) My question is: Will they hold this against
    > us? We have pleanty of "proof of a shared life". We have our lease, our joint
    > bank account, a car in our names, auto insurance, etc. (If this is REALLY
    > important, then I guess we will spend next weekend changing in and out of a lot
    > of clothes and snapping lots of pictures!)
    >

Your other "proof of a shared life" is probably more than sufficcient. We brought two
pictures for our interview, both from the ceremony, and the officer didn't even want
to look at them. He said there simply wasn't time... and besides, that pictures
didn't prove anything. Anyone can have their picture taken together, right?

All he wanted from us was -our lease -last year's tax forms to prove we filed jointly
-a bank statement from our joint checking account ... and that was it...

> 3) We may not have enough time to get his medical done. We need to obtain his
    > immunization records from England BEFORE getting the actual medical. Otherwise,
    > the "INS Approved Surgeons" want $350 for new shots and all the other medical
    > stuff. It's an expense we simply can not incur right now. What will happen if
    > his medical results are not back in time for the July 9th appointment?

I'd go to another clinic! They charge widely different fees. We had to drive to the
other side of town (the low-income area) but we didn't pay more than I think $80
altogether, includiing shots and chest X-rays. (without insurance we'd have paid
about $160)

>
    > Anyone who can advice, we would greatly appreciate it!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andria & Nigel

Kate & Mike