Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 Extension & Other Related Info

I-94 Extension & Other Related Info

Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

mrmarco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 Extension & Other Related Info

I used to have an account here - I remember posting before but can't find my login info. Weird.

Anyway, currently my wife and I are here in the US on our E-2 visa. We are currently a little over 3 years through our 5 year visa. We have just planned another trip out of the country however I see that my I-94 expires before we plan to take this trip but my wife's doesn't. The reason for this is that my passport expires earlier than hers. So, I'll be renewing my passport shortly.

That brings me to my question - what do I need to do/where do I need to travel to get a new I-94 (+2 years)? Later this year we are taking a trip that will be very close to the Canadian border. Can I cross into Canada in a vehicle and then turn around and request a new I-94? I've heard various conflicting information about this and was hoping for some practical guidance.

The other related question I have is if our visa expired on Jan 10th 2022 (not our actual date - approx date from memory), am I right in thinking that we can re-enter the US on Jan 9th 2022 and get an extension of our I-94 through Jan 8th 2024 (assuming passports are valid for sufficient time etc)?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Mar 12th 2020, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 Extension & Other Related Info

Originally Posted by mrmarco
I used to have an account here - I remember posting before but can't find my login info. Weird.
I can't help with any of your visa related queries I'm afraid, but we can merge the two accounts. If you can't remember your log in info for 'The Moose' then you can reset your password, or contact Site Admin if you have any issues at all.

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to your questions is Yes. However, there is a risk that the officer might admit you on Automatic Revalidation until the expiration of the old I-94 instead, so you have to make sure they give you a new admission for 2 years.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with the above. You can technically do it, but the officer would be used to admitting you under revalidation. It's at their discretion and based on the examples I've read, it's luck of the draw in terms of whether you'll be able to convince them to help you. I would have a backup plan in place.

Other options are also described here: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/C1en.pdf but I don't know what sort of timelines those forms experience.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can't help with any of your visa related queries I'm afraid, but we can merge the two accounts. If you can't remember your log in info for 'The Moose' then you can reset your password, or contact Site Admin if you have any issues at all.

HTH, good luck.
I just tried to message you. How do I contact a site admin?
Old Mar 13th 2020, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
The answer to your questions is Yes. However, there is a risk that the officer might admit you on Automatic Revalidation until the expiration of the old I-94 instead, so you have to make sure they give you a new admission for 2 years.
Ok - thank you. We have to go within under 100 miles of the Canadian border so I might as well try it. If not, I will have to take a flight somewhere...but haven't worked out where yet!

Anyone have any idea about the second question?!

Last edited by mrmarco; Mar 13th 2020 at 9:35 pm.