Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-90 Renewal of Green Card, a few questions

I-90 Renewal of Green Card, a few questions

Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-90 Renewal of Green Card, a few questions

Originally Posted by jjjj200282
No, we live between both States and spend about half the time in either one.
When you file a US tax return, which one is the address you use? You can't use both.

Which address is on your driver's license or State IDs?

Which address is on her green card? If you were going to renew her green card, which address would you use?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 4th 2017 at 11:22 am.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No, we live between both States and spend about half the time in either one.
Rene is right! Regardless of how much time you spend in both places, it's unlikely that you have two drivers' licenses or file two sets of state income tax returns. Those addresses will determine, for US immigration purposes, where you actually live. Time spent in one place or the other is not the determining factor here regardless of how much you want it to be.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:43 pm
Banned

jjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When you file a US tax return, which one is the address you use? You can't use both.

Which address is on your driver's license or State IDs?

Which address is on her green card? If you were going to renew her green card, which address would you use?

Rene
I'll have to check the green card. I wasn't sure that the green card has a physical address. Not saying it doesn't. Never looked close. I am going to contact USCIS directly and keep their response in hand if it favors my situation.

Tax Returns and DL, yep I know the address on those.

I am not completely convinced that I cannot leverage my situation to legally choose either location. Living in 2 locations has disadvantages for sure but it also has it's advantages. If the ability to go to either ACS is fair game then I am all for it.

It's like having Johnny Law pull me over and telling me that I must have a Driver's license in his State too even though I can't hold a Driver's License in his State.

They set the laws in that you can't have a DL in both States and to their own "detriment" they have to play by the same laws.

Last edited by jjjj200282; Feb 4th 2017 at 12:50 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:48 pm
Banned

jjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond reputejjjj200282 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Rene is right! Regardless of how much time you spend in both places, it's unlikely that you have two drivers' licenses or file two sets of state income tax returns. Those addresses will determine, for US immigration purposes, where you actually live. Time spent in one place or the other is not the determining factor here regardless of how much you want it to be.

Ian
Well I do value my time just as much as anyone else does. It will take me less time to write USCIS and get an answer than it will to drive.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They set the laws in that you can't have a DL in both States and to their own "detriment" they have to play by the same laws.
Umm... you're dealing with the US government. Very often, they are exempt from abiding by the same laws - and it's unlikely they'll do anything to their own detriment. As I've noted elsewhere this morning, US immigration isn't like Burger King.

It will take me less time to write USCIS and get an answer than it will to drive.
By law, your non-USC wife has kept USCIS aware of where she physically lives by filing an AR-11 whenever she's moved. According to US immigration, that's where she lives. If she's never moved, then she lives at the same address where her green card was sent.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:01 pm
Banned

Umm... you're dealing with the US government. Very often, they are exempt from abiding by the same laws - and it's unlikely they'll do anything to their own detriment. As I've noted elsewhere this morning, US immigration isn't like Burger King.

By law, your non-USC wife has kept USCIS aware of where she physically lives by filing an AR-11 whenever she's moved. According to US immigration, that's where she lives. If she's never moved, then she lives at the same address where her green card was sent.

Ian
Ok, I guess she is going to get deported now. Enough with the PC. That isn't allowed anymore in this country if you would have noticed when reading the headlines.

Side Note: Yes she files an AR-11 every week.

Side Note: I'll tell them where you live when I saw you going 57 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Last edited by jjjj200282; Feb 4th 2017 at 1:05 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Ok, I guess she is going to get deported now. Enough with the PC. That isn't allowed anymore in this country if you would have noticed when reading the headlines.
I doubt she'll get deported, but don't get pissed at me simply because you don't like the responses you're getting. You, and not anyone here, are complicating a relatively easy process by throwing location into the mix.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:12 pm
Banned

I doubt she'll get deported, but don't get pissed at me simply because you don't like the responses you're getting. You, and not anyone here, are complicating a relatively easy process by throwing location into the mix.

Ian
Your response has not been the only response. There has been more than one opinion offered and I was ready to roll with that opinion until some others came along. Actually, I am attempting to simplify things by using either location from the comfort of my pc with a warm coffee mug in hand instead of driving around in sub freezing temperatures (either way) dealing with other bureaucrats.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:23 pm
Banned

We'll just head over to the location where she initiated her green card. Just having a good time in the thread and I don't think that I am alone. Have enough to go on here. I appreciate the help.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 2:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OP states he has enough information to make a decision, so thread closed.

Rene