Visa Help-B2

Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

hannahc16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Help-B2

Me and my other half are both British and have been together for 10 years

he has just been offered a job in the us and suggesting i get a B2 Visa, now here is the situation. We have booked and paid for our wedding along time ago and it is in October of this year.

Now they are suggesting that i get a B2 visa for now however my issue is i need to return for a week in august for a dress fitting and then return again for my hen do and the wedding and then return after that.

Firstly can i even do that on a B2 visa as you can imagine i have to go home and sort out these wedding things and starting to stress out. I have no idea what other options i have, plus once we are married and return to the US can i apply there for a different visa as our honeymoon is a Caribbean cruise leaving from Port Canaveral so have to get back into the states for that.

Thanks i am massively stressing out about it right now
Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Help-B2

First, I would suggest you do NOT apply of a B2! As long as you're not planning to work here, ESTA will give you access to the country for up to 90 days (we suggest a day or two less) at a time. Then you can apply for a derivative visa after you are married. I suggest this as it's most likely that a B visa will be denied if ESTA will do.

The length of time you've been together is irrelevant in this respect or just about any other.

Just for clarification, what visa is your fiancé coming on? I suspect it's an L-1a or b.

As for trips back for the wedding, ESTA will work for that, too. As long as the pattern of entry and departure doesn't raise questions, you should be fine. The basic rule of thumb with ESTA is to spend at least as much time outside the country as you do in it.

I really see little to stress about, so sit back and take a breath!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In your case the B-2 would be considered a co-habiting visa not a tourist visa since you have been living common-law. Yes, you can come and go on that visa but as with all entries into the US, your entry permission is at the mercy of the agent at the POE. He/She gets to tell you if you can enter or not. But having the B-2 should mean that you have more leeway than someone coming and going frequently under the VWP/ESTA system.

BTW which visa is your husband coming to work in the US on? Will he be able to get you a dependent visa after the marriage so that you can live and possibly work in the US if his visa allows dependents to work?

Last edited by Rete; Feb 4th 2017 at 3:22 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
Me and my other half are both British and have been together for 10 years
Are you living together?

he has just been offered a job in the us...
Is he transferring with his current company (L visa) or is this a new employer in the USA (H1B visa)? This is important. The answer to this will determine my opinion on whether you should get a cohabitating B visa (if indeed you do live together) or stick to the VWP.

My first reaction is to tell you to stick to the VWP, since you have to travel back and forth so often anyway. However, it depends how much time you are planning to spend inside the USA each time and how often you go back and forth.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2017, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
Now they are suggesting that i get a B2 visa...
If you have been living together and can document that, then what you're after is a B-2 visa for a cohabiting partner. The "cohabiting partner" bit is very important because it allows you to remain in the US for up to a year.

Firstly can i even do that on a B2 visa...
Yes... perfectly okay!

I have no idea what other options i have, plus once we are married and return to the US can i apply there for a different visa as our honeymoon is a Caribbean cruise leaving from Port Canaveral so have to get back into the states for that.
If you have a valid B-2 visa, you don't need any other visa to return to the US following your honeymoon. Once you're married and back in the US, you can then apply to change your status to a derivative status of your (then) spouse!

Thanks i am massively stressing out about it right now
Well then, you're stressing about nothing at all. There is nothing wrong with what you have planned so long as you remember the bit about cohabiting partner.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

hannahc16 is an unknown quantity at this point

in reply to everyone

we have been living together for about 5 years now. Our plan is to go out in may and then i need to go home for one week in august and then return to the us and then go back in September for 3 and half weeks for final wedding plans/hen and the actual day and then return to the us after that and then what to apply for my derivative status.

Regarding my other half he is transferring with his company so will be on an L visa with the option in the future to get a green card.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great plan in place. Wonderful that he is on an L visa. The derivative visa will allow you to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) and a social security card and then you will be able to work if that is something you want to do. It also makes getting a driver's license so much easier.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you do currently cohabitate, your chances of a B2 visa for cohabitating partner are good. And it seems like you intend to spend most of the time inside the USA which siang work well for using the VWP. So I think a B2 application is the way to go.

Make sure you mention right away this is to accompany your L1 visa holder partner, and bring paper proof of your cohanitation.

Rene