I-864 concerns

Old May 20th 2001, 4:36 pm
RazorOye

Hello again everyone - I am busy preparing the I-864 to show support for my fiancee,
as we work toward the K-1. The whole situation gives me pause, though. Here it is: I
graduated with my Masters from college in July of 2000. I began working the
following August (2000) with an annual salary if $35,000. On my income tax return
for 2000, though, I only have $12,700 listed, since I only worked 4 months. As we
all know, that will not be enough to make the 125% minimum, even though my salary is
well above said minimum. Will that be taken into consideration? Also, the previous 2
tax years were lean college years, so I definitely do not have above 125% of poverty
those years.

As a result of these conditions, I am having my mother file a I-864 jointly. I do not
think that she needs the I-864A since I do not live in her residence. She makes a few
thousand dollars above the 125% poverty level for a household of 6 (including my
fiancee). Will that be enough? Is there anything I am missing? Are there any
recommendations? Also, do I have to claim my life insurance? It is $90,000
incidentally.

I will be sending a paystub from my last check to show that I am employed at a rate
well above the minimum and my degree and field of work is one that I will always be
able to find work no matter where I would happen to move. Is the fact that I was in
college and relatively young (25) factor into the equation? Also, my fiancee has dual
degrees in Child Development and Education and will have no problem getting a job
once we get her settled - in fact, some administrators here have assured me that she
has a place in this school district as we need teachers. Thinking logically about the
situation, I would say that it is a no-brainer. While we are not well-to-do, our
combined salaries would be about $70,000. But it is not that right now and the INS
does not, at times, work according to logic. So, I admit that I am scared.

Any help is MOST appreciated - I just want my fiancee's interview at the Montreal
Consulate to go well and for this situation over the I-864 not to hinder her from
being admitted. She will never be a 'charge' to the state, but that may not be of
their concern. Once again, I remain -

Much obliged - Jonathan

Jonathan and Martha I-129F Sent: January 21, 2001 First NOA: January 30, 2001 Second
NOA/Approval: MIA? DOA? TBA? ? ? ? ? but hopeful despite. . . .