I-20 procedure

Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default I-20 procedure

Hi

Can anyone tell me the physical route the I-20 takes? I've tried searching for it, but to no avail.

The person I am dealing with at the college is new and I feel she's making mistakes.

She has told me that she will issue me with an I-20, which I am to take to the embassy and they will sign it. She then says that I am to send it to back to her and she will also sign it.

To my mind, that doesn't make sense. I would have thought she would sign it first, then the embassy signs it and then that's it.

Her way adds another fortnight at least to the procedure in postage times to and from the US. Who is right?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice
Default Re: I-20 procedure

Originally Posted by blargins
Hi

Can anyone tell me the physical route the I-20 takes? I've tried searching for it, but to no avail.

The person I am dealing with at the college is new and I feel she's making mistakes.

She has told me that she will issue me with an I-20, which I am to take to the embassy and they will sign it. She then says that I am to send it to back to her and she will also sign it.

To my mind, that doesn't make sense. I would have thought she would sign it first, then the embassy signs it and then that's it.

Her way adds another fortnight at least to the procedure in postage times to and from the US. Who is right?
Actually, she is the one who has to sign it - DSO of the college. You then have to register in SEVIS and pay the fee and then with I-20 and SEVIS registration form you get upon payment of fee, you schedule the Interview for student visa. The embassy uses I-20 as a basis to issue you an F-1 visa, they don't sign anything on I-20 as far as I know (mine had only DSO signature).

Why not ask for a PDSO - that's the person in charge of everything I-20 (SEVIS) related for that college.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by seawaternow
Actually, she is the one who has to sign it - DSO of the college. You then have to register in SEVIS and pay the fee and then with I-20 and SEVIS registration form you get upon payment of fee, you schedule the Interview for student visa. The embassy uses I-20 as a basis to issue you an F-1 visa, they don't sign anything on I-20 as far as I know (mine had only DSO signature).

Why not ask for a PDSO - that's the person in charge of everything I-20 (SEVIS) related for that college.
So she has to sign it before I take it to the interview? That is what I thought.

She is the person in charge of enrolling international students, and unfortunately, I am her first case. I feel like I am having to tell her what to do.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Originally Posted by blargins
So she has to sign it before I take it to the interview? That is what I thought.

She is the person in charge of enrolling international students, and unfortunately, I am her first case. I feel like I am having to tell her what to do.
She can't be the only DSO at the college - they also must have (by law) a PDSO (principal DSO) at each campus. Look up the international student office - they should list all staff there and contact someone higher up - even the office manager should do.

Here's the official web page on how to become a nonimmigrant student:

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/becoming_no...dent_52007.htm
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

You need to:

1. Get the signed I-20 from the college
2. Student needs to sign I-20
2. Complete form I-539
3. Complete form I-901 and pay SEVIS fee
4. Schedule appointment at the Embassy.

That's the process that my Girlfriend had to follow as an International MBA student.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Erick, that's what I thought.

I should get a refund from the college, I seem to be doing and teaching her her job.