Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi, I need advice on how to petition for my half-sister

Hi, I need advice on how to petition for my half-sister

Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

tony23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi, I need advice on how to petition for my half-sister

Hi, I'm a 32 year old American citizen born out of wedlock in the U.S..My dad is a mexican citizen who lives in mexico.He lived with us (Mom ,I)and supported us until I was 24 when he was deported to Mexico because he committed a crime.My dad and his new girlfriend had a lil girl(she's 3) in mexico,but they are not married.I would like to bring my step sister to the states.Although my mom and dad were not married,my dad's name appears on my birth certificate as well as my step sister's.Can someone please tell me what I have to do and what do I need to bring my step sister here.My step sister is the only one(sister/brother) I have.

Thank's
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi, I need advice on how to petition for my half-sister

You file an 1 130. You can download the form, and pay the fee.

You will need to supply documentation substantiating the relationship.

And wait.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

hi boiler,

What kind of documents would be good? my dad hasn't lived with us for about 9 years.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony23
Hi, I'm a 32 year old American citizen born out of wedlock in the U.S..My dad is a mexican citizen who lives in mexico.He lived with us (Mom ,I)and supported us until I was 24 when he was deported to Mexico because he committed a crime.My dad and his new girlfriend had a lil girl(she's 3) in mexico,but they are not married.I would like to bring my step sister to the states.Although my mom and dad were not married,my dad's name appears on my birth certificate as well as my step sister's.Can someone please tell me what I have to do and what do I need to bring my step sister here.My step sister is the only one(sister/brother) I have.

Thank's
You will need legal advice on this one. Many cities have low or no cost immigration clinics. If you live in the Los Angeles area, the Los Angeles County Bar Association has an excellent Immigration Legal Assistance Clinic available. ILAP is not "means-tested" to use their services. It will be $20.00 well spent.

Good luck.

p.s. While I was typing, an answer intervened and you asked another question. Last night, Rachel Maddow used a favorite phrase of mine: "deceptively simple question." Well, your question is "deceptively simple." Also, Boiler's response may very well be correct, but it is deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Aug 28th 2010 at 4:49 pm. Reason: add the post script
Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

For $20 it has got to be a good deal.

Also, Boiler's response may very well be correct, but it is deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.
Just as a matter of interest, and I know I am pushing my luck here to get an answer, but outside of proving the sibling relationship is there anything else of consequence?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Ok. Thank you.I will see about talking to lawyer about this.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:55 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Well your dad must provide proof that he legitimated you before turning 18. Your dad must also prove that he legitimated your stepsister prior to her turning 18. Alternatively, your dad may provide evidence of a parent-child relationship for you and your stepsister- but he will need some pretty strong evidence to get the I-130 approved.

You, the US citizen, will be the one filing the I-130. Since I-130's for siblings take many years to go through, you should prepare your package very carefully before submitting it - you can always file again, but will have wasted years waiting.

Originally Posted by tony23

Thank's
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Well your dad must provide proof that he legitimated you before turning 18. Your dad must also prove that he legitimated your stepsister prior to her turning 18. Alternatively, your dad may provide evidence of a parent-child relationship for you and your stepsister- but he will need some pretty strong evidence to get the I-130 approved.

You, the US citizen, will be the one filing the I-130. Since I-130's for siblings take many years to go through, you should prepare your package very carefully before submitting it - you can always file again, but will have wasted years waiting.
Your answer may or may not be right. However, OP needs answers consistent with the entire set of facts, what he wants to do, and knowledge all of the applicable law. I'm glad he is going to see a lawyer.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your answer may or may not be right.
Only some of us can be deceptively simple however.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Boiler
Only some of us can be deceptively simple however.
Actually, OP has drafted a pretty good law school examination question.

They are usually in the form of: [factual vignette], "P desires to have S join him in the U.S." followed the the "call" of the question -- "Discuss" is often the shortest one that scares students.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

I never did Law, but I hated those in Insurance.

PS I will be very upset if anybody else gets this moniker. I claim it as my own.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:19 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

If you proceed with the i-130 it will be a LONG time before she can come.

Would parents be willing to give up custody ?

You could adopt your sister, and it would result in she being able to come MUCH sooner, but you would have to be willing to take the responsibility, and be able to convince her parents to give her up willingly. (Or unwillingly, not sure how custody law is in Mexico.... )

You will most likely need more than one lawyer to get this done. (one for the adoption and one for the immigration stuff?)
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by A I
If you proceed with the i-130 it will be a LONG time before she can come.

Would parents be willing to give up custody ?

You could adopt your sister, and it would result in she being able to come MUCH sooner, but you would have to be willing to take the responsibility, and be able to convince her parents to give her up willingly. (Or unwillingly, not sure how custody law is in Mexico.... )

You will most likely need more than one lawyer to get this done. (one for the adoption and one for the immigration stuff?)
You can not side step quite so easily. Adoption in itself gives no immigration rights.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:09 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can not side step quite so easily. Adoption in itself gives no immigration rights.

True, but if adopted, and if the child can be classified as Orphan (due to abandonment, since parents are still alive...) the child could qualify as an orphan and obtain immediate relative benefits.

I'm not saying it would be easy...I'm saying good lawyers and the right circumstances could pull it off
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by A I
True, but if adopted, and if the child can be classified as Orphan (due to abandonment, since parents are still alive...) the child could qualify as an orphan and obtain immediate relative benefits.

I'm not saying it would be easy...I'm saying good lawyers and the right circumstances could pull it off
The problem would be parents in the plural.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.