Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husbands American employers want him in US

Wikiposts

Husbands American employers want him in US

Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands American employers want him in US

Well you are supposed to wait a year after arriving to apply, but it's not supposed to take another 2 years after that. Perhaps they are confused with the type of green card, HR people are not always the most informed of people, especially when it comes to immigration. My husband works for a Fortune 500 company and their HR people don't know what day of the week it is. We usually speak directly with the external immigration lawyer instead.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:40 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
The company is a large multinational that has been in business for decades. The HR person also told my husband that my kids would be able to go to Uni as residents on a L2 visa. I know that this is not what I have read on this board - could they just be putting him off the green card so he has to stay employed with them?/ The question is academic - he has no intention of changing jobs.
Sometimes HR people don't always know.
We always spoke directly to the lawyers about anything to do with visas/green cards.
We were lucky because the lawyers and the company always kept us in the loop and we phoned or emailed as often as we wanted with legal questions.
We always had lots of questions because our big issue was our eldest daughters age...we were paranoid that she would age out!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I should have known that - the HR people where I work are clueless too...

Apologies to any HR people reading, especially any with common sense.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to any HR people reading, especially any with common sense.
Isn't that an oxymoron?

(sorry HR folk!)
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what I was thinking...
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Even for the EB1C category, approvals are taking longer at the moment because of the rush of applications in July, but I would still think that you are looking at 12-18 months rather than 3 years - of course there are never any guarantees and this assumes that the category remains current.

I had a similar problem with the company I worked for thinking that the only reason I was pushing for a green card was to go and work for someone else. This was despite the fact that I have been with them for 7 years and have no plans to move. They also thought we had all the time in the world to deal with it and couldn't understand why I was in such a hurry to get things moving. In the end I signed a letter agreeing to reimburse some of the legal fees if I left within a certain period after getting the green card and this seemed to be the kick start needed to get the employer to get things underway.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Wondering if I should take my husband's employers' readiness to apply for a GC as a bad sign!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Well you are supposed to wait a year after arriving to apply, but it's not supposed to take another 2 years after that. Perhaps they are confused with the type of green card, HR people are not always the most informed of people, especially when it comes to immigration. My husband works for a Fortune 500 company and their HR people don't know what day of the week it is. We usually speak directly with the external immigration lawyer instead.
Last time I looked, it was required that the COMPANY have had the US presence for a year.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

The HR person also told my husband that my kids would be able to go to Uni as residents on a L2 visa. I know that this is not what I have read on this board
I'd doubt it very much, but you'd have to check with whatever uni you're considering.

could they just be putting him off the green card so he has to stay employed with them?/ The question is academic - he has no intention of changing jobs.
Could they be? Absolutely! LOL
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by augigi
I'd doubt it very much, but you'd have to check with whatever uni you're considering.
Hi:

Why do you doubt it? Just curious.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Because of what other people have posted about being unable to get the resident tuition fee without a GC (I think it was jumping doris?)

As I said though, you'd have to check with the particular institution, as I'm sure they have different rules.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Last time I looked, it was required that the COMPANY have had the US presence for a year.
I meant it as a rule of thumb rather than an actual rule, since the purpose of the L visa is temporary transfer, but since L1A is a dual intent visa maybe that's not such a big deal.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Because of what other people have posted about being unable to get the resident tuition fee without a GC (I think it was jumping doris?)

As I said though, you'd have to check with the particular institution, as I'm sure they have different rules.
Hi:

I missed the "resident" thing. Mea culpa. As for immigration, it is not a violation of status for an L-2, H-4 or E-1/2 dependent to attend school. You are right about differing rules -- the last time I had a case with that, the California State University had DIFFERENT rules than the state University of California. Go figure.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:03 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I missed the "resident" thing. Mea culpa. As for immigration, it is not a violation of status for an L-2, H-4 or E-1/2 dependent to attend school. You are right about differing rules -- the last time I had a case with that, the California State University had DIFFERENT rules than the state University of California. Go figure.
It was me.

My eldest started college while she was still on her H4.
We live in PA and to be classed as an instate student for tuition purposes you have to be resident in the state for 2 years and fulfil other criteria.
One of the other criteria was being a LPR.
However the PA code for education ( I think that was it's name) didi say that if you could demonstrate that you were actively pursuing LPR status then the college could use it's discretion about tuition fees.

The big state colleges weren't interested and classed my daughter as an international student but the smaller ones were more flexible.
We had lived here for 2 years though and fulfilled all the requirements, other than the GC.

Some states only require you to be resident for a year, some didn't require that but they are talking about citizens or LPR's and residency within the state not the country.
Lack of a GC will always be the issue I would imagine.

We only looked at State schools I don't know how private ones would class someone. I know Carnegie Mellon would have classed my daughter as an international.

Also being on an H4 meant my daughter wasn't eligible to file a FAFSA (an application for federal aid) and that had a knock on effect for state and college aid and even on campus jobs.