Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husbands American employers want him in US

Husbands American employers want him in US

Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husbands American employers want him in US

If my husband gets a L1 visa then what happens with to me and our two children (aged 14 and 16)? Do we get to just come too???

I am currently employed in a professional capacity at a UK University and there are comparable jobs available in the US. I have been advised by friends that I wouldn't be allowed to work in the US.

Do I have to apply for an L2 visa (what is this anyway?) And what about the kids - can they enroll in High School in the US or do they need to apply for a visa first, too?

I am finding it really difficult to get my head around the legal mumbo jumbo!!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands American employers want him in US

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
If my husband gets a L1 visa then what happens with to me and our two children (aged 14 and 16)? Do we get to just come too???

I am currently employed in a professional capacity at a UK University and there are comparable jobs available in the US. I have been advised by friends that I wouldn't be allowed to work in the US.

Do I have to apply for an L2 visa (what is this anyway?) And what about the kids - can they enroll in High School in the US or do they need to apply for a visa first, too?

I am finding it really difficult to get my head around the legal mumbo jumbo!!

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join you in the U.S. for the duration of your stay can apply for L-2 visas. Spouses are eligible to take up employment after obtaining an employment authorization document.

The children cannot work
yes they can go to school
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If they give him an L1 visa you and your kids automatically get L2 visas so long as you are mentioned on the forms.
You can work after obtaining employment authorisation (which takes up to 90 days and has to be applied for once you are in the country) and the kids can go to school straight away.
If you plan to perhaps stay here on a longer term basis I would suggest that you ensure the employers apply for an L1A as it is much easier to go for green cards with that than L1B.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do we get to just come too?
Yes. If your husband gets and L1 visa, you and your children can receive derivative L2 visas.

I have been advised by friends that I wouldn't be allowed to work in the US.
Your friends are mistaken. An L2 spouse (but not children) may apply for employment authorization and, once approved, you will be able to work.

Do I have to apply for an L2 visa (what is this anyway?)
It's what a spouse and children get when the other spouse gets an L1 visa.

And what about the kids - can they enroll in High School in the US or do they need to apply for a visa first, too?
They will have a visa - an L2 visa... and yes, they can go to school in the US.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:25 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
If you plan to perhaps stay here on a longer term basis I would suggest that you ensure the employers apply for an L1A as it is much easier to go for green cards with that than L1B.
I don't know how quickly things move re. L visas and green cards but bear in mind that when your children reach 21 they will need a way to stay here that does not depend on your status.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on popping over for a couple of years and then going back, or do you want to stay? The first is easy but the second has pitfalls, especially with kids.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for your replies!

I have just been reading about the visas on Wikepedia as recommended on another thread. I saw the EAD mentioned, but it didn't say how long it took to get one, so thanks for that - now I know that I wouldn't be able to work for 90 days!

What is the difference between a Green Card and being permanently domiciled?

I my husband got a green card would that change my status and that of the children?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:38 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your replies!

I have just been reading about the visas on Wikepedia as recommended on another thread. I saw the EAD mentioned, but it didn't say how long it took to get one, so thanks for that - now I know that I wouldn't be able to work for 90 days!

What is the difference between a Green Card and being permanently domiciled?

I my husband got a green card would that change my status and that of the children?
Being unable to work for 90 days might be a blessing. Don't underestimate how long it might take to settle in.
We moved here in 2005 with three children who were then..10, 14 and 16. All girls.
They needed a lot of support initially at school because the syllabus is very different and life here is very different.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

A green card is basically a permanent residence card. So it is the piece of paper which says you can stay here permanently. If your husband gets one you all get them. If your husband qualifies for an L1A visa then he might qualify for the EB1-C category of green card which is the fastest one to get right now (under a year usually). It is important to get these as soon as possible because the major pitfall of the L visa is that it is tied to the job so if the company decides to fire you (and they can do it with no reason or warning in most states) then you have to pack up and leave immediately. Having a green card means you can stay and try to find another job.

And the 90 days goes fast.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Are you planning on popping over for a couple of years and then going back, or do you want to stay? The first is easy but the second has pitfalls, especially with kids.

My husband is thinking permanently, but I would rather commit to a couple of years and then make up my mind - is this not feasible?

Basically the problem is that my husband is out there on business 2/3s of the time already - we hardly see him!

I would hope to send the kids to an international school where they can do the IB, so that if we come back then they can get into Uni here without to much trouble. I understand that the American High School education is different to that in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:00 pm
Who?

My husband is thinking permanently, but I would rather commit to a couple of years and then make up my mind - is this not feasible?

Basically the problem is that my husband is out there on business 2/3s of the time already - we hardly see him!

I would hope to send the kids to an international school where they can do the IB, so that if we come back then they can get into Uni here without to much trouble. I understand that the American High School education is different to that in the UK.
My children do IB within their US high school.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
A green card is basically a permanent residence card. So it is the piece of paper which says you can stay here permanently. If your husband gets one you all get them. If your husband qualifies for an L1A visa then he might qualify for the EB1-C category of green card which is the fastest one to get right now (under a year usually). It is important to get these as soon as possible because the major pitfall of the L visa is that it is tied to the job so if the company decides to fire you (and they can do it with no reason or warning in most states) then you have to pack up and leave immediately. Having a green card means you can stay and try to find another job.

And the 90 days goes fast.
Brilliant - so if my husband gets a green card then we all get one - even the children? Does this mean that there is no problem with them staying in the US when they hit 21?

I am reasonably ambivalent about the proposed move, I really think that my career will go down the pan, along with my pension. The jobs I have seen equivalent to my own are paid much more poorly than in the UK - although you do get free tuition for your kids should they want to go to the same Uni that you work in.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:06 pm
Who?

Brilliant - so if my husband gets a green card then we all get one - even the children? Does this mean that there is no problem with them staying in the US when they hit 21?

I am reasonably ambivalent about the proposed move, I really think that my career will go down the pan, along with my pension. The jobs I have seen equivalent to my own are paid much more poorly than in the UK - although you do get free tuition for your kids should they want to go to the same Uni that you work in.
With a greencard they are legal permanent residents and can stay (in theory) as long as they like.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I don't know how quickly things move re. L visas and green cards but bear in mind that when your children reach 21 they will need a way to stay here that does not depend on your status.
Hi:

However, if I-140 filed prior to their turning 21, then CSPA will keep them on he petition. However, once they reach 21 and the priority date has NOT been reached yet, then they will either have to leave or perhaps convert to F-1. If they have to leave, they are still on the I-140.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My children do IB within their US high school.

I have seen that there are many American High schools that do the IB program, unfortunately none of them are located where we intend to stay. The high school local to where we would stay is great, but it doesn't do IB, and my eldest wants to do a course at Edinburgh Uni and they do not accept AP classes for entrance to medicine - only the IB.

I have really researched the education element quite thoroughly. I just want the kids to have the choice to come home and study what they want too if it doesn't work out in the states.

This might seem like another inane question but the green card doesn't change my British nationality does it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.