Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husbands American employers want him in US

Husbands American employers want him in US

Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands American employers want him in US

Originally Posted by UK-Trinity
Thanks again.

If we got green cards - and then returned to the UK for a period, perhaps for the kids to go to Uni, would the green cards expire?

How do you go about becoming a US citizen?
There are requirements regarding how much time you can be away from the US in order to keep your green card, I just don't know what they are.
After you have your green cards for 5 years you can apply to become citizens.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

UK-Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
From what I've heard here US history is a lot of Brit bashing so your sons will have to learn how to sit on their hands and hold their tongues!
Oh joy! And hopefully that would be a transferrable skill that they would be able to use at home sometimes
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I actually had to learn those two skills in primary school! Maybe I should let my daughter go to school in the UK after all actually...she certainly needs to learn how to sit still!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

I actually had to learn those two skills in primary school! Maybe I should let my daughter go to school in the UK after all actually...she certainly needs to learn how to sit still!
I remember it well! They probably call it child cruelty or something now...

That said, we used to get belted with a leather tawse at school, too - sometimes just for talking, but I think that was banned in Scottish schools in the mid 80s. Can you imagine kids nowadays standing arms outstretched waiting for the teacher to hit them with a strap of cm thick leather!!!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

This was the mid to late 80s, I did witness teachers smacking a kid or two but that was as far as it went. Oh and the teacher who got fired for throwing a ruler at someone, but that was in secondary school I think...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This was the mid to late 80s, I did witness teachers smacking a kid or two but that was as far as it went. Oh and the teacher who got fired for throwing a ruler at someone, but that was in secondary school I think...
JeeZ...I got caned on a virtual daily basis ...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

In my high school it was only the bad teachers who felt the need to belt kids, their more skilled colleagues managed to keep the kids interested enough in their work not to misbehave.

Some teachers belted frequently, and it always seemed to be the same kids that got it from whatever teacher.

I was belted once in primary 5, it wasn't a nice experience and I got a bruise right up my wrist. I left school in 1982 and I think that the practice was banned just around that time.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:35 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, thanks for that.

I am a bit confused that you daughters had to catch up with maths - I thought that the American High School diploma courses were the equivalent of GCSEs. My eldest is sitting his Standard Grade ( we are Scottish) in May, he should get 8 1s, plus 2 As in Intermediate 2s. (I guess that is the equivalent of 10 As at GCSE). It sounds great that they can mix and match though! Did you have any issues with them settling in? My boys are both musical and play the trumpet and trombone at associated board grade 6 and 7 respectively - is there an equivalent American program? I haven't been able to find one on the internet.

I have looked at the situation with Unis here - it wouldn't be a problem for my eldest as he is due to go to Uni in 2 years, however, it would definitely be an issue with my younger son.

The local high school I contacted in the US had said than my eldest would have to do 4 history courses in two years in order to graduate high school as he hasn't done any US history, although he is doing standard grade history in Scotland, this is Scottish and European history?
Maths is not their best subject and it is done differently here.
My daughters go to a very academic high school here and there are a lot of very, very bright children. I thought we had used good schools in the UK but they are completely eclipsed by the school here.
I spent a lot of time on the phone to the high school guidence counsellor but I made the most progress when we came for a visit and I actually spoke to him face to face.

We have been very lucky with our school district. We live in an area that attracts a lot of overseas people and so the school is used to dealing with other types of educational systems.
That said,however good the US high school is they won't understand much, about the UK system but equally most UK schools don't know very much about the US system.

Music....most high schools have a marching band and enter competitions. All the schools near us, including ours, have huge bands and travel all over to compete. The elementary and middle schools also have bands.
As far as I know there are musical exams as in the UK.
There is a lot of extra curricular stuff for children here and it is taken very seriously. Parents play a big part. They seem much more involved than in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ...I got caned on a virtual daily basis ...
Yes, but look at the excellent results of all that fine character building!

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Maths is not their best subject and it is done differently here.
My daughters go to a very academic high school here and there are a lot of very, very bright children. I thought we had used good schools in the UK but they are completely eclipsed by the school here.
I spent a lot of time on the phone to the high school guidence counsellor but I made the most progress when we came for a visit and I actually spoke to him face to face.

We have been very lucky with our school district. We live in an area that attracts a lot of overseas people and so the school is used to dealing with other types of educational systems.
That said,however good the US high school is they won't understand much, about the UK system but equally most UK schools don't know very much about the US system.

Music....most high schools have a marching band and enter competitions. All the schools near us, including ours, have huge bands and travel all over to compete. The elementary and middle schools also have bands.
As far as I know there are musical exams as in the UK.
There is a lot of extra curricular stuff for children here and it is taken very seriously. Parents play a big part. They seem much more involved than in the UK.
Thanks again.

I am looking at Sugar Land in Texas, the local high school is 'recognised' and the website is great. I am just not sure...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:30 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for you reply but oh my gosh - I am now confused! What is the I-140? CSPA? F-1?

Google here I come!
Hi:

The I-140 is the immigrant visa petition which must be approved to qualify for the green card in the employment based area [other than religious worker].

CSPA is the 2002 "Child Status Protection Act" -- which prevents "age outs" by children turning 21.

Going into this cold by doing "research" will drive you nuts, rest assured. Immigration Law can do that. A consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer might be a good idea. Some give free or low cost consultations by phone or even on line. List member J Craig Fong is good. [email protected]

Also, please note that I'm also encouraging you to explore ways YOU might be the "principal" immigrant. If your husband is the "principal" then you and your sons would the be what we call "FTJ" for accompany or follow to join. If you are the principal, they your husband would be the FTJ along with your sons.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple green card applications pending.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:57 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

I am looking at Sugar Land in Texas, the local high school is 'recognised' and the website is great. I am just not sure...
I am in PA but there are lots of people on this site from Texas.
On the general USA part you could try starting a thread and ask if anyone knows Sugar Land. I am sure I have read something about it on here.

Blue Ribbon schools are good schools to look out for.

Last edited by jumping doris; Feb 12th 2008 at 2:00 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:01 pm
Who?

Try this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=sugar+land
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

UK-Trinity, its good that you are thinking ahead, but I think you may be thinking too far ahead. For now I'd make sure that you and the kids are 100% on board with moving to the US. I sense a bit of resentment in your early posts. Moving to another country is a stressful thing and if your family isn't 100% for it and excited to do it it can cause problems.

Your husband's company needs to provide him with a good contract that covers moving costs to and from the US, covers initial housing costs and expenses, and has provision for the children's education and maybe even help in finding you a job. You should be clear on the visa you and your husband will get and maybe have a clause that the company will assist you in applying for a green card after a year or so.

Now the hardest part of you moving, Sugar Land TX, That will be a big culture shock. Don't under estimate how culturally different it will be form Scotland and the weather will shock you. You must visit the place for a few weeks before you decide to move there!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
UK-Trinity, its good that you are thinking ahead, but I think you may be thinking too far ahead. For now I'd make sure that you and the kids are 100% on board with moving to the US. I sense a bit of resentment in your early posts. Moving to another country is a stressful thing and if your family isn't 100% for it and excited to do it it can cause problems.

Your husband's company needs to provide him with a good contract that covers moving costs to and from the US, covers initial housing costs and expenses, and has provision for the children's education and maybe even help in finding you a job. You should be clear on the visa you and your husband will get and maybe have a clause that the company will assist you in applying for a green card after a year or so.

Now the hardest part of you moving, Sugar Land TX, That will be a big culture shock. Don't under estimate how culturally different it will be form Scotland and the weather will shock you. You must visit the place for a few weeks before you decide to move there!

The kids are really excited and fully on board - I guess that it is me that is feeling ambivalent. My eldest has always been so set on medicine I just worry that this move will ruin his future. The kids seem to think that living in America is much like joining the cast of High School Musical or Malcolm in the Middle and I am worry that they will hate the reality.

The company do have a package that will fund much of what you mention, and I have visited Texas - I have been to Houston twice and also visited Dallas and San Antonio. The Texas Renaissance Festival was a sight to behold, lol.

I swing from being really positive, to being full of dread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.