Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Wikiposts

Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, so this doesn't degenerate..
I chose not to pick on that point, San D, but it is not 'automatic' in the sense that the family members do 'nothing' and get a green card.

When a petition is approved for the main beneficiary (the L-1) and he is instructed to apply for Permanent Residence (form i-485), his family members may also apply. If everyone is qualified, everyone gets PR status (green cards).

It's not 'automatic' in that some action is required on their part.
The naturalization example is one of an actual, automatic, act.
OK ........ I presumed that if the OP's husband applied for a Green card that he would "automatically" (there's that word again) applyfor/include his family too.

Yes, of course there would have to be work done, in that the family names and particulars would need to be included on the Green Card application forms.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
OK ........ I presumed that if the OP's husband applied for a Green card that he would "automatically" (there's that word again) applyfor/include his family too.
Words have specific meanings. If by "automatic" you mean something else, perhaps you should use that word instead. If you can not adequately find an alternate word, then perhaps you should refrain from responding.

Yes, of course there would have to be work done, in that the family names and particulars would need to be included on the Green Card application forms.
May I suggest that, for future posts, you do some research first.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 27th 2010 at 9:20 am.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Having just submitted our Adjustment of Status applications, I can attest to the fact that there is nothing "automatic" about the paperwork required for myself, my Good Lady and The Nipper. Three sets of forms to fill in, three medicals, and three filing fees.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but in my previous post was not referring to whether you are eligible to apply for naturalisation.

I was referring to when an applicant with a family applies for a Green card and is then successful in obtaining one. If he applicant has a family with him/her I have never heard of the family not being included and awarded Green cards too.

In a previous note I believe the OP had asked whether if her husband applied for and received a Green Card whether she and her children would too.
There is no need to apologize.

I made my comment inasmuch as I am aware of a situation in the law where the word "automatic" has done mischief.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

OK, so this doesn't degenerate..
I chose not to pick on that point, San D, but it is not 'automatic' in the sense that the family members do 'nothing' and get a green card.

When a petition is approved for the main beneficiary (the L-1) and he is instructed to apply for Permanent Residence (form i-485), his family members may also apply. If everyone is qualified, everyone gets PR status (green cards).

It's not 'automatic' in that some action is required on their part.
The naturalization example is one of an actual, automatic, act.
When I looked throgh the Expat forum, it seemed that you can file L1 and L2 at the same time? What about the timing for GC? Do I have to wait till my husband get GC first, or can we all appy for GC at the same time?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Words have specific meanings. If by "automatic" you mean something else, perhaps you should use that word instead. If you can not adequately find an alternate word, then perhaps you should refrain from responding.

May I suggest that, for future posts, you do some research first.

Ian
SanDiegogirl was only trying to be helpful here. Thanks for all the senior members to clarify the terms for me.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shullen
When I looked throgh the Expat forum, it seemed that you can file L1 and L2 at the same time? What about the timing for GC? Do I have to wait till my husband get GC first, or can we all appy for GC at the same time?
You quoted the answer already.. "When a petition is approved for the main beneficiary (the L-1) and he is instructed to apply for Permanent Residence (form i-485), his family members may also apply."

You apply at the same time as your husband. In a perfect world, you all get the green cards at the same time, but this is not guaranteed either.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marocco
Any decent contract should compel the employer to refund all return costs in full, including indirect ones (except if the employee becomes a LPR). Moving back to the UK can cost tens of thousands of dollars in air fares, shipping costs, lost deposits, buying new furniture, etc.
Many thanks for all the advice I've given in the forum. We've requested the addition of the penalty terms from the company. Finally now in the 3rd offer letter my husband was given, they've added the terms of compensation up to $20,000 in terms of repatriation and associated costs, and severance costs of up to six months. Is this offer reasonable?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

This is a slight side-track (please split off if it is not slight enough):

If each spouse has an independent visa (eg. both have their own H-1B) and only one EB-2 petition is forthcoming, is the non-petitioned H-1B equally eligible to be included on the GC application at this point?

Background: I have recently learned that friends (a married couple) are in the situation where Husband has received his GC, but Wife was never included on his GC application (apparently the lawyers "never presented this as an option.") This has left on her own H-1B and it seems that her only path to a GC is now by sponsorship as the spouse of an LPR, which could well exceed the 3 H-1B years she has left available.

This all sounded very peculiar to me and reports about the lawyers involved do not exactly inspire trust... Any learned opinions would be much appreciated
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retzie
This is a slight side-track (please split off if it is not slight enough):

If each spouse has an independent visa (eg. both have their own H-1B) and only one EB-2 petition is forthcoming, is the non-petitioned H-1B equally eligible to be included on the GC application at this point?

Background: I have recently learned that friends (a married couple) are in the situation where Husband has received his GC, but Wife was never included on his GC application (apparently the lawyers "never presented this as an option.") This has left on her own H-1B and it seems that her only path to a GC is now by sponsorship as the spouse of an LPR, which could well exceed the 3 H-1B years she has left available.

This all sounded very peculiar to me and reports about the lawyers involved do not exactly inspire trust... Any learned opinions would be much appreciated
There is no necessity for someone to include a spouse or children.

You wonder why he did not...

She can get a GC on her own merits or get her Husband to sponsor her.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is no necessity for someone to include a spouse or children.

You wonder why he did not...
She is desperate for a GC, so she can supplement her income (I'm pretty sure hers must be the lowest paid H-1B ever.) The lawyers never presented filing along with her husband as an option, though they were certainly aware of the circumstances, as they were concurrently handling her H-1B renewal. There is no chance of her own EB-2/anything else (the H-1B is a 'favour' as it is, falling under spousal hire.)

I just wasn't sure if non-connected visas were some special case that precluded applying together. If not, this is a devastating oversight.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be a good tactic is both spouses have independent ways of seeking GC's, good insurance and you can take which ones come first.

Perhaps there was a reason she was not included? Always difficult when the information is secondhand.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for all the advice I've given in the forum. We've requested the addition of the penalty terms from the company. Finally now in the 3rd offer letter my husband was given, they've added the terms of compensation up to $20,000 in terms of repatriation and associated costs, and severance costs of up to six months. Is this offer reasonable?
Sorry we seemed to discussing a different issue here now. Can any senior member still answer my previous question please?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry we seemed to discussing a different issue here now. Can any senior member still answer my previous question please?
This question does not pertain to this thread, actually. You should post questions about relocation packages and terms in the USA Forum of the site.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

You quoted the answer already.. "When a petition is approved for the main beneficiary (the L-1) and he is instructed to apply for Permanent Residence (form i-485), his family members may also apply."

You apply at the same time as your husband. In a perfect world, you all get the green cards at the same time, but this is not guaranteed either.
Just had a turn of events today. My husband has verbally accepted the job offer yesterday. However, only by examining the offer letter word by word, and talking to the HR lady in US, we found out that all his company agreed for was to get us the working visa (L1 and L2). The words "green card" has popped up a fews times in emails and conversations but they have carefully choose not to put it in the offer letter. What should we do now? I understand the importance of getting green card in US for the family's security. Although agreed by email, my husband hasn't actually sign the letter. Should we push them to put it down in writing, or is it too late?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.