Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Wikiposts

Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband Green Card, what can the wife get?

Originally Posted by Hovik
Is the GC issued at origin embassy like other visas are ?
The green card is not a visa, therefore it is issued from within the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovik
I'm in the same situation, but a couple of months ahead. I'm in the US on a L-1, and my company has just started GC process. In which forms must I make sure my family is included ?

Is the GC issued at origin embassy like other visas are ?
With regard applying for the Green Card, we found that we re-iterated much of the same information we provided when applying for the L1 visa. Therefore, if on your L-1 visa information was provided regarding your wife and children (and they have accommpanied you to the US based on this information) then this same info goes onto all forms for the Green Card.

When you are given a Green card, your family will be automatically included.

When we applied for our Green cards back in 2000, we were able to opt for either our original embassy (London) or through the various application centres here in the US. The London embassy had a shorter application time in those days so we opted for that. That, did, of course, mean that we had to go to London for our final interview.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Hubby and I came over on an L1 some years ago.

In the contract with the company, we had covered moving costs, interim accommodation costs when first arriving, car rental costs for the first two months, health insurance etc etc.

We also had a clause which said that if I were to be made redundant in the first 18 months, the company would repatriate both of us with relevant costs etc.

Also in the contract they "committed" to helping us to get our Green cards as we had stipulated that we were not looking at this as a temporary transfer but a permanent one. (We sold everything in the UK)

The company agreed to apply for the Green Card 6 months after we moved to the US - they were not prepared to do it earlier since I believe they had gone down this route before only to find that people had not settled in the US and had returned to the UK of their own volition. Its costly for a company to apply for Green cards so this was understandable.

We received our Green cards 12 months after starting the application. I believe that's about the normal time, although some people have obtained them earlier and some later.

I agree with other reviewers that you should look at renting for the first few months.
This is very helpful information. We'll definitely request for similar clause in the negotiation now.

The process of getting GC seemed to be quicker than what I thought. There is a nice flow chart on this website which said it takes 6/7 year waiting time for a GC from a work visa. And I was worrying about rent for such a long period of time!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shullen

The process of getting GC seemed to be quicker than what I thought. There is a nice flow chart on this website which said it takes 6/7 year waiting time for a GC from a work visa. And I was worrying about rent for such a long period of time!
The length of time your Permanent Residence application takes is completely dependent on the category you are applying from and your country of origin. "Work visa" is a very loose definition; there are many types.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is very helpful information. We'll definitely request for similar clause in the negotiation now.

As Meauxna said...we went from L1a+ spouse and dependant in a few months.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
The length of time your Permanent Residence application takes is completely dependent on the category you are applying from and your country of origin. "Work visa" is a very loose definition; there are many types.
It will be L1 for my husband and L2 for me and two kids. We are all British citizens but my origin is China.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When applying for the Green Card we met with the company lawyer who was handling our application. We wanted us to be know to him and not just another applicant. We explained both my job and that of my husband - both managerial and executive.

The lawyer said that the meeting had been useful as he had not realised the managerial aspect of our jobs. He was therefore going to be putting the application through in the "managerial and executive" category. This is a quicker route than through the general route.

As other reviewers have said there are various levels of job categories - some get you the Green Card quicker than others.

I have known people on various visa still waiting up to 5 or 6 years for their Green Card to be approved. If you go through the Labour Certification route, then this will certainly add to the wait.

You need to be pro-active.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It will be L1 for my husband and L2 for me and two kids. We are all British citizens but my origin is China.
Still too loose.. there is L-1A and L-1B. You can also look up the 'visa bulletin' on travel.state.gov and see the various "EB" (employment based) categories and the dates that are currently being processed. You can ask your immigration attorney about the expected timeline for your family's case.

A clarification about a post upthread.. If you make the application inside the US, it's called an Adjustment of Status to Permanent Residence. You do not leave the country, the change is made while you are 'in place'. The result is a "Green Card".
If you choose Consular Processing and apply outside the US, you get an Immigrant Visa. When you return to the US with that visa, you are admitted as a Permanent Resident and the result is a "Green Card".
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

When applying for the Green Card we met with the company lawyer who was handling our application. We wanted us to be know to him and not just another applicant. We explained both my job and that of my husband - both managerial and executive.

The lawyer said that the meeting had been useful as he had not realised the managerial aspect of our jobs. He was therefore going to be putting the application through in the "managerial and executive" category. This is a quicker route than through the general route.

As other reviewers have said there are various levels of job categories - some get you the Green Card quicker than others.

I have known people on various visa still waiting up to 5 or 6 years for their Green Card to be approved. If you go through the Labour Certification route, then this will certainly add to the wait.

You need to be pro-active.
My husband works in R&D, not executive so I assume it will be L1B. The attorney will be appointed by his US company. It has taken them more than two weeks to decide to go for L1 rather than EB2, so not sure how experienced they are dealing with similar cases. Just have to keep finger crossed.

What is the Labour Certification route? I know that on L2, I have to EAD. Is there a different process?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:29 am

My husband works in R&D, not executive so I assume it will be L1B. The attorney will be appointed by his US company. It has taken them more than two weeks to decide to go for L1 rather than EB2, so not sure how experienced they are dealing with similar cases. Just have to keep finger crossed.

What is the Labour Certification route? I know that on L2, I have to EAD. Is there a different process?
You have your answer right there about which immigrant category he will likely be under, EB2. Now you can use the visa bulletin to get a better idea of the permanent residence application portion.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I mentioned the Labour Certification route I'm not sure that I have the correct terminology.

What I was referring to was that I am aware that with some category of visa and certain job specifications the APPLICATION FOR A GREEN CARD has to go through the Department of Employment or some such organisation before such approval is given.

With a Managerial/Executive categorisation this does not need to happen and so the process is quicker.

I have been led to believe that getting an L visa as opposed to an H visa makes the process for OBTAINING A GREEN CARD easier.

Getting the EAD has nothing to do with the process above.

Hope I have not confused you further.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

When I mentioned the Labour Certification route I'm not sure that I have the correct terminology.

Hope I have not confused you further.
With respect... and with full acknowledgment of your desire to be helpful, perhaps you should get things sorted out in your head first before you respond - so that you do use the correct terminology and don't confuse further.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When you are given a Green card, your family will be automatically included.
The word "automatic" is a dangerous one capable of fuzzy meaning.

In many parts of the immigration laws, there will be eligibility to apply -- such eligibility being "by operation of law."

For example, many people have believed that wartime US military service "automatically" makes one a US citizen. However, the "automatic" part is that one is eligible to apply for citizenship.

That said, there are situations where the naturalization of a parent will "automatically" result in the naturalization of the child without any further application.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The word "automatic" is a dangerous one capable of fuzzy meaning.

In many parts of the immigration laws, there will be eligibility to apply -- such eligibility being "by operation of law."

For example, many people have believed that wartime US military service "automatically" makes one a US citizen. However, the "automatic" part is that one is eligible to apply for citizenship.

That said, there are situations where the naturalization of a parent will "automatically" result in the naturalization of the child without any further application.
Sorry, but in my previous post was not referring to whether you are eligible to apply for naturalisation.

I was referring to when an applicant with a family applies for a Green card and is then successful in obtaining one. If he applicant has a family with him/her I have never heard of the family not being included and awarded Green cards too.

In a previous note I believe the OP had asked whether if her husband applied for and received a Green Card whether she and her children would too.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:46 am

OK, so this doesn't degenerate..
I chose not to pick on that point, San D, but it is not 'automatic' in the sense that the family members do 'nothing' and get a green card.

When a petition is approved for the main beneficiary (the L-1) and he is instructed to apply for Permanent Residence (form i-485), his family members may also apply. If everyone is qualified, everyone gets PR status (green cards).

It's not 'automatic' in that some action is required on their part.
The naturalization example is one of an actual, automatic, act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.